Packing/customs questions/connecting flights

tbmrt

12/9 Yachtsman/Windsurf

I will be taking AA connecting flights from TPA to MIA to SXM and back the same way.

Has anyone managed with just a carry-on for a Caribbean Windstar cruise? Any tips for doing so? I don't see this happening in my case even though Windsurf is pretty casual.

I've never done a connecting international flight and would appreciate clarification regarding my flights returning to US. AA told me that I would have to go through customs in MIA to show my passport, but that any checked luggage would be sent directly from SXM to TPA on the way back.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I would think that my luggage would have to be with me when I go through customs in Miami.

Thanks.

TBMRT,

We took the Classic Caribbean the same time last year and it was our first time trying a single carry-on each. With the laundry package it worked out just fine. I even had extra sets of workout clothes. On the way back we had connection in CLT and we went through immigration, collected our bags and had to go back through security. For people who had checked bags they collected their bags and rechecked them just outside customs.

We are on the 12/9 cruise with you this year -- see you there.

menea

Upon arrival at Miami, you will have to clear immigration (passport control). You then pick up your checked bag, or take your carry on and clear customs. Customs and immigration are not the same thing. Immigration = people. Customs = goods.

You then drop off your checked bag for your next flight, reclear security and go to the gate for your next flight.

No idea what the AA agent was thinking, as they gave you incorrect information.

Hi, I hope you have a great trip. I have not checked bags in 25 years and I think/ hope I have it down to a science. I am a firm believer in hotel and ship laundry, especially Windstar. We come from the Boston area and we take WS cruises in January the coldest month. I bring 2 pairs of shoes, tevas for day and nice sandals for night ( I wear my tevas on the plane with socks ) I bring 2 bathing suits rolled, a very lightweight beach dress rolled, night shirt rolled, 3 pairs of culottes one white,folded, 6 plain tee type shirts ( nicer ) rolled, a pretty top I bought on WS years ago that I still love rolled, my toilet kit, I leave shampoo and such to WS I love their products, underwear rolled and not much think laundry. In my purse: pills, lucky not many, make up, wallet, ipad with my books loaded on it and my NYT, iphone for emergency and photos, confirmation papers, passport, jewerly, very little, comb. I wear a pair of pants, warm sweater and have a cadhmere poncho thing that I bring everywhere it keeps me warm on the plane, acts as a nice wrap on the ship outdoors at night if needed, a scarf, a pillow, best travel thing I own. We have Global Entry so we go right through customs and do not have to wait for luggage and can get to our next gate in a timely way. Our friends, who check always, have to wait for their luggage because Global Entry is so quick. Before ireaders I would have to pack books, awful. Before Global Entry Miami, NYC, Boston etc it was awful going through customs the top time was 1 hour 45 minutes the least was 45 minutes.

I try to make travel as painless as possible. I am a person that does not like to be burdened with stuff nor do I shop. I try to look nice and be comfortable. My way of packing has been years in the making. I layer in the colder climates. Good luck. WS is so informal and the laundry so great it truly makes packing effortless and with a very light lugging load. Happy Sailing.

We have been traveling with only the carry on roller bags for many years now. Last year we did one week in Grand Case prior to our Yachtsman cruise. We have also done 3 weeks in Italy and 2 weeks in Ireland with only a carry on roller bag and a carry on bag that fits on top of the roller bag.

I had 2 pairs capris with 4 tops, 2 skirts (outdoor type) with 2 tops, and a couple of sundresses that packed well for evenings. 2 bathing suits and cover ups, undies, bras, workout leggings and T-shirt not necessarily to work out in :) and a nightie. Shoes are the hardest. I have sandals that can double duty in the water that I wore almost everyday, a pair of gladiator sandals for at night and a pair of flip flops. Most things coordinated to help mix it up. A scarf or two if you're into that sort of thing and of course my small purse.

In addition I had a carry on bag for my bathroom stuff, iPad, kindle, purse, etc.

My husband wore his tennis shoes and packed his water shoes and nice saddles that he wore in the evenings.

We've never had the laundry package although on our Panama Canal/Costa Rica cruise (where it was so humid) it would have been nice. I just rinse out the undies and hang up overnight when needed. Maybe next time we'll try it out.

Once you learn how to manage carrying everything on you'll never go back to waiting for your luggage again! It can be done...good luck!

Edited by Ski Mom 2

I will seriously attempt to do the carry-on luggage and laundry package.

So excited about our first Windsurf cruise. We were on the Oasis with 6,000 people and although we enjoyed the shows and nightlife, I'm really ready for a smaller ship.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Barbara

How does the Laundry package work and how much is it?

We will be on the Wind Surf in December and are seriously considering carryons only.

Just remembered to ask - will they wash and hang dry as well as wash and dry? I have a few things I would not want in the dryer.

Edited by Zeno
to add something

How does the Laundry package work and how much is it?

We will be on the Wind Surf in December and are seriously considering carryons only.

Just remembered to ask - will they wash and hang dry as well as wash and dry? I have a few things I would not want in the dryer.

Info on package is right on Windstar's webpage.

http://media.windstarcruises.com/media/plan_your_voyage/cruise-documents/gift_order_form.pdf

Put your clothing in a bag, fill out the laundry sheet, call to have it picked up and they bring it back when it's done. You can give them special instructions.

Sorry but I don't get this apparent fascination with packing for a seven to ten day trip in a carry on bag. Yes you can "get by" by wearing as few outfits as possible during your cruise but why? Any cruise is a special occasion and I think special occasions deserve special and diverse appropriate attire. Believe me, we have noticed those "carry on only" folks, and although we have not been critical, the same beach/pool coverup all week is noticed.

Spring for the $25 luggage fee, it's worth it and your fellow passengers will appreciate the fact that you have contributed to the aesthetics of this special occasion.

Info on package is right on Windstar's webpage.

http://media.windstarcruises.com/media/plan_your_voyage/cruise-documents/gift_order_form.pdf

Put your clothing in a bag, fill out the laundry sheet, call to have it picked up and they bring it back when it's done. You can give them special instructions.

Thx

Not sure why I did not find this on the web page. I probably just glanced at it quickly and thought it was just about alcohol etc.

Sorry but I don't get this apparent fascination with packing for a seven to ten day trip in a carry on bag. Yes you can "get by" by wearing as few outfits as possible during your cruise but why? Any cruise is a special occasion and I think special occasions deserve special and diverse appropriate attire. Believe me, we have noticed those "carry on only" folks, and although we have not been critical, the same beach/pool coverup all week is noticed.

Spring for the $25 luggage fee, it's worth it and your fellow passengers will appreciate the fact that you have contributed to the aesthetics of this special occasion.

Personally I could care less about whether people are "carry on only folks" or like to bring their entire wardrobe with them. It's all a matter of personal choice and travel style.

We are pretty casual. I will definitely not be wearing a different poolside outfit every day. If someone notices, they may gaze at the ocean instead - it's always pleasing.

It isn't the money. I hate waiting for baggage. On the trip home, when I hit O'Hare with Global Entry, I literally don't stop walking except for the 30 seconds I stand at the machine filling out my information. I can be off the plane and getting into a cab in less than 5 minutes.

For that, I can make do with carryon. Plus I don't have to lug the stupid suitcase all over europe, on and off trains, into cabs, through hotel lobbys (yet there is staff but it is still one more thing to do) etc. I don't feel like I need to take a cab from the airport since I can just hop onto public transit with my carryon and without a bag dragging behind me.

Finally, with online checkin, I can just go right to the gate and don't have to stand in line to check my bag.

All huge reasons for me.

It isn't the money. I hate waiting for baggage. On the trip home, when I hit O'Hare with Global Entry, I literally don't stop walking except for the 30 seconds I stand at the machine filling out my information. I can be off the plane and getting into a cab in less than 5 minutes.

For that, I can make do with carryon. Plus I don't have to lug the stupid suitcase all over europe, on and off trains, into cabs, through hotel lobbys (yet there is staff but it is still one more thing to do) etc. I don't feel like I need to take a cab from the airport since I can just hop onto public transit with my carryon and without a bag dragging behind me.

Finally, with online checkin, I can just go right to the gate and don't have to stand in line to check my bag.

All huge reasons for me.

My husband would agree with you completely! He hates all the fussing with luggage and actually it was he who suggested to me that we look into the laundry package this time.

• 2 months later...

Can we do online checkin and print boarding pass on Windsurf for our return trip without having our own internet package? Doing carryons only.

We are doing our Global Entry interview at Miami airport before our connecting flight to St. Martin. Hoping for a fast approval so we can use GE on way back to States.

Thanks

Upon arrival at Miami, you will have to clear immigration (passport control). You then pick up your checked bag, or take your carry on and clear customs. Customs and immigration are not the same thing. Immigration = people. Customs = goods.

You then drop off your checked bag for your next flight, reclear security and go to the gate for your next flight.

No idea what the AA agent was thinking, as they gave you incorrect information.

I would describe it a little differently, because my experience is that the bags ARE checked through to your final destination.

As stated you go through Immigration, then collect your bags, then go through Customs, and then you drop your bag off at a luggage belt just outside Customs and the bags are loaded onto your next flight because they have been checked through to your final destination. The luggage belt takes all luggage from Customs and for all airlines. So from the airlines perspective after you clear Customs you do not have to interact with them again save to drop off the bag at the luggage belt. That is you do not have to give your bags to another agent and have them place new baggage labels on them for your final destination.

12/9 Yachtsman/Windsurf

I will be taking AA connecting flights from TPA to MIA to SXM and back the same way.

Has anyone managed with just a carry-on for a Caribbean Windstar cruise? Any tips for doing so? I don't see this happening in my case even though Windsurf is pretty casual.

I've never done a connecting international flight and would appreciate clarification regarding my flights returning to US. AA told me that I would have to go through customs in MIA to show my passport, but that any checked luggage would be sent directly from SXM to TPA on the way back.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I would think that my luggage would have to be with me when I go through customs in Miami.

Thanks.

I managed with a carry on for a Windstar B2B in Europe and a week on Paul Gauguin in Tahiti (same type of dress code and weather as you'll have. See my signature.

You will have to claim and recheck luggage in Miami.

Tip: Bring a mesh laundry bag to send small items like socks and underwear to be laundered in, tell them not to fold anything, just wash and dry in bag.

All huge reasons for me.

I completely agree. The older I get the more I realize how much less "stuff" I really need.

Anyone petty enough to be worried about someone wearing the same cover-up all week is...

By the way, on my Windstar cruise there was a couple who spent the first 10 days wearing the same two outfits each. Their luggage had gotten lost on the way to Rome and it didn't catch up with them for over a week. I'm glad I didn't sneer down from my perch at them, because I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to meet two incredibly lovely people.

All huge reasons for me.

All those reasons plus flexibility when something goes wrong. E.g. your flight is delayed and won't make the connection but there is another flight that you can switch to that is leaving right now. You roll onto that flight with your luggage knowing that it and you will make your connection.

In the cases where bad weather causes chaos at the hub airports, sometimes it takes two or three days for your luggage to make it to the destination - which is bad enough when you are staying at one spot vs moving on a cruise ship.