Questions about Classic Italy & Dalmatian coast

vegasdriven

We will be on Windsurf Sept. 25. Anyone have any idea if they have the watersports platform out at any of these stops?

I am thinking about booking our Candles night for the night we leave Messina. Thinking that might be one of the calmer nights for outdoor dining? Any comments?

Also, would be interested to hear from someone who has done this trip, and how the comp excursion on that island was? How did you get to and from, and what time did you leave for said excursion?

I would suggest doing Candles on the night you leave Kotor. The cruise out of the fjord is beautiful and sitting on the deck at sunset would make it better. On our cruise the water sports platform was open on Capri and Dubrovnik.

Hill skies- thanks for the info. That sounds like a great suggestion for Candles leaving Kotor.

What time of year did you cruise that itinerary?

Sorry , I am a little late with a reply, we were away for the weekend visiting friends on a beautiful island off Vancouver Island called Hornby.

If I could chime in on Kotor. Make sure and set your alarm to watch the "sail in" as well. It was one of the most spectacular I can remember.

We used the small deck mid-aft where you get a 360 degree view. Above the Terrace Bar I believe (don't tell anyone about it - it's a secret!).

I took this trip in early May. They had the water sports platform open at least 3 times (Capri, Dubrovnik & Rovinj) during our trip. The evening we were in Kotor was when the ship had their BBQ on the deck, so that was not an option for Candles. We actually went to Candles on the night of the day we were at sea and it was fabulous. The Captain will let you now what time to be on deck for the sail in to Kotor. Make sure you are up there - it is well worth getting up early for! For the stop in Messina, we took the tour to Taormina which was great. When the tour was over, they bussed us to the location of the complimentary excursion (Gambino Winery) where we joined the rest of our shipmates for a great lunch, wine tasting & music.

We sailed the Croatian coast in June. In September the sun will rise about 6:30 and set about 6:45. Another good choice for Candles would be when you leave Split since you sail out along the islands on the Croatian coast. They may have the deck BBQ the night you are in Dubrovnik since you don't leave there until 10PM. Make sure that you go and make your Candles reservation immediately upon getting on the ship. If you want to go to Candles more than once, just let the Candles' maitre d' know you would like to be notified if there is a cancellation. Also, if you tip him early in the cruise it always helps.

Thank you, all!Now I have a few good options for Candles. I wish there were more trip reports from Windstar cruises.

I hope to do one myself, I think it will be a great way to relive what should be a wonderful experience!

Hill skis, thank you, thank you for the link to your blog. I am gaining so much useful, and exciting information. This is really helping with planning.

A question about the cruise between Dubrovnik and Kotor- does it really only take 2 hrs to reach the entrance from Dubrovnik, and if so will we anchor off Dubrovnik over night, as our departure is at 10 pm from Dubrovnik, and arrival is supposed to be 8am in Kotor? I realize you would probably not know for sure what the ship's plan of attack is, but that you might have some insight?

I am one of those people that likes to plan everything to death with the proviso to have a backup plan or two, so love to have as many details and opinions as possible.

It's roughly 26 miles from Dubrovnik to the entrance to the Kotor Fjord. Another 16 miles from the entrance to Kotor. The 26 miles can be covered in about 2-3 hours while the trip up the fjord will taken much longer since it will be at night and the fjord is very narrow. I don't know the schedule since we sailed into the fjord late afternoon and early evening. We had the deck BBQ while we sailed into the Kotor fjord. Then we stayed overnight in Kotor and sailed out the next morning at 7AM. Since you are leaving Kotor at 5PM you'll get a great view of the fjord for at least 1 1/2 hours. The best shore excursion in Kotor is the Highlights of Kotor Bay & Baroque Village of Perast.

My husband and I are booked on this cruise in October 2016. We usually take the beverage package, but it does not appear to be offered at present on the website.

Can anyone who has been on this cruise confirm if it was offered on it? I thought it was standard on all Windstar cruises and we like the convenience of it.

Many thanks.

They offered it to us last year on the Wind Surf. Didn't take it since you're not on the ship enough to make it worthwhile. Some people like the convenience of just ordering a drink without worrying about the cost. We brought our own wine on board. If you are in Venice long enough at the beginning of the cruise, get yourself an empty 2 liter plastic bottle and take it to one of the local enotecas(wine stores) and they will fill it up for 3-5 Euros.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...