Just boarded the Wind Surf in St Maarten

maureencruiser

Just boarded the Wind Surf and let me say, WOW! :D The first person to shake my hand and welcome me on board was the Captain! :eek: I had just done the one handed "washy-washy" with the Purell, so, we shared a squishy (but very hygienic) moment. :o A waiter (Daddy) in the buffet told me this was only the Captain's second cruise doing this itinerary. Everyone is so friendly, they welcome you on board every step of the way and do your check-in inside the ship, while you enjoy a welcome on board Mimosa. Nice! Just had lunch, but, my suitcase is here, so, I'll unpack before Muster.

1930535_10207666454971112_2547262779159950111_n.jpg?oh=936010ba1eca5368dee7adda15f25c85&oe=5722A440

I hope you have a wonderful time. What time in muster? I have you on a web cam and will be watching you go out tonight since we will be getting on next week at this time. So excited. Sounds like you had a great first impression. This is our first time on Windstar and I've been hearing nothing but rave reviews so it sounds like you will have a great time. Enjoy.

Is the Norwegian Gem there? I have five ships that are listed as being there and I can only see four of you from the web cam. The three big ones are all scheduled to go out at 5 pm but I'm sure they still take turns. Again...have fun.

Thanks, Keith. I don't know, it's gonna be tough to have a good time. I just had to fight the "crowd" in the buffet. :D:D

12799140_10207666535893135_5057559175579266729_n.jpg?oh=a50a7866e001c23ce76f0745503d9765&oe=5765FCBC

This is great. I can't wait for a week from today and I get MY turn. Have a wonderful time!!! We love updates any time you are able. Wishing you smooth seas.

What time in muster? I have you on a web cam and will be watching you go out tonight since we will be getting on next week at this time.

Is the Norwegian Gem there? I have five ships that are listed as being there and I can only see four of you from the web cam.

Hi Cathy, Muster is 5:30, sailaway is 7:00. Remember, we are 1 hour ahead of East Coast time, it is 4pm right now. What webcam? I'd love to post a link on my FB account. The Norwegian Gem and the Carnival Liberty are here and i think I saw another sailing ship? I'm not sure, I only had eyes for the WS. I got booted from my hotel at 10am and couldn't board till 1pm, so, I've been throwing back Guavaberry Coladas, I might be a little fuzzy on the details. :eek::D

Hi Cathy, Muster is 5:30, sailaway is 7:00. Remember, we are 1 hour ahead of East Coast time, it is 4pm right now. What webcam? I'd love to post a link on my FB account. The Norwegian Gem and the Carnival Liberty are here and i think I saw another sailing ship? I'm not sure, I only had eyes for the WS. I got booted from my hotel at 10am and couldn't board till 1pm, so, I've been throwing back Guavaberry Coladas, I might be a little fuzzy on the details. :eek::D

LOL....you should stay an extra week so we can sail with you too. You sound like great fun.

The other ship that you are fuzzy on is Holland America Maasdam. You are also suppose to have another sailing ship near you, but it's hard to tell from the Web Cam. Do you see the Star Clipper? It will be heading out at 10 pm tonight. The Carnival, NCL, and HAL ships are all going out around 5 pm.

The link for the web cam is on: http://www.portstmaartenwebcam.com/. It's coming from the Holland House Beach Hotel. We are staying there post cruise and then two nights on the french side pre cruise.

How do you have your internet? Did you buy a package through the ship or are you picking up a freebie from the shore somewhere?

Do you see the Star Clipper? It will be heading out at 10 pm tonight. The Carnival, NCL, and HAL ships are all going out around 5 pm.

How do you have your internet? Did you buy a package through the ship or are you picking up a freebie from the shore somewhere?

Yes, Star Clipper, that sounds familiar. Thanks for the link, I didn't know they added SXM to that website. When I booked, they had a special for solo travelers, no solo supplement. :) Thanks Solo Travelers Forum for the heads-up! :cool: It also included a free Premium Beverage package, Free Unlimited Internet, free gratuities and 3 free shore excursions. They're just bus trips, but, hey, I'll see the sights, right? I think most of them end with some beach time. Trust me, if it wasn't for the special and all the freebies, I wouldn't be on Windstar! :D

I believe they pretty much roll up the decks on WS around 9pm and everyone goes nighty-nite, so, I plan to do a lot of posting at night. I've already taken a bunch of pics, all the menus I've seen, etc. I plan to do a review when I get back, but, that will be too late for you. I'll post anything that seems newsworthy, starting with, they are strict about boarding time. I got here at 11am and they let me leave my luggage, but, I just roamed the port (drank) since then. ;)

Yes, Star Clipper, that sounds familiar. Thanks for the link, I didn't know they added SXM to that website. When I booked, they had a special for solo travelers, no solo supplement. :) Thanks Solo Travelers Forum for the heads-up! :cool: It also included a free Premium Beverage package, Free Unlimited Internet, free gratuities and 3 free shore excursions. They're just bus trips, but, hey, I'll see the sights, right? I think most of them end with some beach time. Trust me, if it wasn't for the special and all the freebies, I wouldn't be on Windstar! :D

I believe they pretty much roll up the decks on WS around 9pm and everyone goes nighty-nite, so, I plan to do a lot of posting at night. I've already taken a bunch of pics, all the menus I've seen, etc. I plan to do a review when I get back, but, that will be too late for you. I'll post anything that seems newsworthy, starting with, they are strict about boarding time. I got here at 11am and they let me leave my luggage, but, I just roamed the port (drank) since then. ;)

Wow...that is a LOT of added perks. That's amazing. That's great about the free internet since I will be looking for every thing you post. I actually fly to SMX on Thursday morning, so probably won't be reading a lot after that point, but anything before then, I will love.

This is going to be our first time on Windstar and have only done the main stream larger cruise lines, so will be very interested to hear how you feel about the smaller ship. We do have different port calls from you on the next sailing, but anything about the ship, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear about.

Have you signed up for either Candles or Stella's Bistro? If you have looked at menus, do you know the main dishes for tonight in the main dining room?

Sorry, I didn't really do my "homework" before this cruise, so, I don't know much about the restaurants. I believe Amphora is the MDR restaurant and Stella and Candles? require reservations. I don't see that the buffet is open at night, that might just be today, though? Or, does the buffet turn into Candles? :o:o

I just knew if I showed up on a ship, I would not go hungry.:)

I've already sent out some laundry, I didn't sign up for the Unlimited laundry, but, I wore the same t-shirt and capris on Thursday and Friday in St Maarten and they be S*T*I*N*K*Y with a capital STANK! :eek::eek:

OK, gonna go to the welcome aboard meeting, maybe I'll learn something! :rolleyes:

I believe, from the logo, this is Amphora-

IMG_0003_zpsnitlqjyv.jpg

IMG_0004_zpspyjyliuv.jpg

IMG_0005_zpswy2geosu.jpg

IMG_0007_zps5ztdn1x7.jpg

IMG_0006_zpsd90z9wrb.jpg

IMG_0002_zpsfw9nj1jy.jpg

That is WONDERFUL, Maureen. Thanks so much. If you ever get time to post menus for just Amphora any night you can get it, with which day of the week it went to, that would be over the top amazing. It would help me decide when to book the two alternative restaurants. :-) But seriously, don't put yourself out since you are there to have a great time and not focus on taking pictures of menus. But I do need you to know I appreciate this so much. I'm so excited and hope you have an AMAZING time!!!!!!

Sorry, I didn't really do my "homework" before this cruise, so, I don't know much about the restaurants. I believe Amphora is the MDR restaurant and Stella and Candles? require reservations. I don't see that the buffet is open at night, that might just be today, though? Or, does the buffet turn into Candles? :o:o

I just knew if I showed up on a ship, I would not go hungry.:)

I've already sent out some laundry, I didn't sign up for the Unlimited laundry, but, I wore the same t-shirt and capris on Thursday and Friday in St Maarten and they be S*T*I*N*K*Y with a capital STANK! :eek::eek:

OK, gonna go to the welcome aboard meeting, maybe I'll learn something! :rolleyes:

Yes, you got the restaurants right. And unlike some of the main stream cruise lines we both have been on, alternative restaurants don't cost extra on this ship.

Yes, we are thinking about doing the laundry package since we did it on our last ship and it was just amazing. And with the extra days in St. Martin pre cruise, sounds like a good thing to do.

Enjoy the welcome aboard meeting. Hopefully they finish up with that in time so you can be out on deck to watch the ship sailing. The web cam shows it all lit up so nice and pretty. ENJOY, ENJOY, and ENJOY!!!!!

Yes, you got the restaurants right. And unlike some of the main stream cruise lines we both have been on, alternative restaurants don't cost extra on this ship.

Yes, we are thinking about doing the laundry package since we did it on our last ship and it was just amazing. And with the extra days in St. Martin pre cruise, sounds like a good thing to do.

Enjoy the welcome aboard meeting. Hopefully they finish up with that in time so you can be out on deck to watch the ship sailing. The web cam shows it all lit up so nice and pretty. ENJOY, ENJOY, and ENJOY!!!!!

i just read the menus. i am in love. please enjoy!!!!

Aargh, I just spent a ton of time writing a post, but, i guess the internet logged me off, so, I'll have to post quickly this time. Sailaway was a washout, pouring down rain. I went to Amphora and had the Watermelon, Spinach and Feta salad, it was fabulous.

12805734_10207668262456298_5661555423033320301_n.jpg?oh=b9c7bf9eed04164bf5ec8c9ea3d8ab63&oe=576302CF

The Chicken Normandy.

12790973_10207668261496274_333441859043542154_n.jpg?oh=21a26190ec57a9316da485033ef15e98&oe=575E147C

And, the Sticky Bread and Butter Pudding.

12718071_10207668262016287_1218574003751153627_n.jpg?oh=57814eb2327ea7f340db1d93f5defc62&oe=575A33A6

It's too bad I lost the other post, I was hilarious in it! :eek: I'm going to bed now, tomorrow is Antigua and I'm doing some kind of tour, have to meet early. I did post in the now lost at sea post that I started this thread as a just checking in thread, but, it seems it has turned into a live review! :D:D

Aargh, I just spent a ton of time writing a post, but, i guess the internet logged me off, so, I'll have to post quickly this time. Sailaway was a washout, pouring down rain. I went to Amphora and had the Watermelon, Spinach and Feta salad, it was fabulous.

12805734_10207668262456298_5661555423033320301_n.jpg?oh=b9c7bf9eed04164bf5ec8c9ea3d8ab63&oe=576302CF

The Chicken Normandy.

12790973_10207668261496274_333441859043542154_n.jpg?oh=21a26190ec57a9316da485033ef15e98&oe=575E147C

And, the Sticky Bread and Butter Pudding.

12718071_10207668262016287_1218574003751153627_n.jpg?oh=57814eb2327ea7f340db1d93f5defc62&oe=575A33A6

Your dinner looks AMAZING!!!! Pictures and all! As I was thinking about this, it wasn't fair of me to ask you to get me menu information. After all, this is YOUR VACATION and so please enjoy it for all it is worth and if you happen to be able to continue to give info on your experience, you know I'm here, eating it up, but don't go out of your way to do this. It's definitely appreciated and I'm sure others will come by this thread and love your account of this ship. You are certainly doing an amazing job.

As far as the rain on your sail away....I'm so very sorry. I did see the rain coming down in the web cam from the airport, but it didn't really show up if one were looking at just the footage from the cruise dock. But yes, looked like really bad timing for your sail away.

You had said that you were expecting the ship to be asleep by 9 pm. I think that would be an exaggeration since I know dinner can be booked until 9:30 pm and then they talk about various things like acoustical guitar players or some such afterwards in one of the lounges. But yes, in your case, you have a big day tomorrow, so get that beauty rest and have a wonderful day in Antigua. I haven't been there in many years, but back in those days, I went on my very first segway tour. Ahhhh...memories. Enjoy!

It's too bad I lost the other post, I was hilarious in it! :eek: I'm going to bed now, tomorrow is Antigua and I'm doing some kind of tour, have to meet early. I did post in the now lost at sea post that I started this thread as a just checking in thread, but, it seems it has turned into a live review! :D:D

I'm really sorry that you lost your post. That is always so frustrating when that happens. Especially when it is going so well. Guess that's what your free internet gets ya. hehehe. Other than that incident, have you been happy with the speed of the internet? We weren't really planning to get that on our cruise, but hey...if it were free, yep, you did well.

Where is the "lost at sea" post you are discussing? And yes, you did start this thread as just checking in, but you started it in a way that it totally caught my attention since I am getting on the ship when you get off so I am most definitely interested. Live reviews always are so much fun if you have time or ENERGY to drop a little something every now and then regarding your experience. And the extra special perk is that when you get home, you will have an account of it for your own memories.

i just read the menus. i am in love. please enjoy!!!!

Hi Kerrydee! :-) I too loved the menus that Maureen posted. I had heard that the main dining room had limited choices compared to the larger ships, but I'd say that menu had more choices than many cruise ships I've been on, so I was actually pleasantly surprised. AND I'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE prime rib fan, so seeing that on the first nights menu definitely has me excited. I'm hoping the Wind Surf will be an amazing experience for both Maureen and myself.

Something of interest, what is and is not included in the Beverage Package.

12799187_10207668419740230_2575045943570678308_n.jpg?oh=cf7ffb2c900d65aafc5bb47f8e7e4d6e&oe=5764361D

12801446_10207668419980236_924187678775066190_n.jpg?oh=95cb8a2366305fb467dbfb301224d5eb&oe=5769CD29

When I first boarded, I stopped by a little sandwich place.

12079118_10207668419300219_8949559809398423359_n.jpg?oh=97522b1433f3e529e8520c8a4b087d0a&oe=575B31BC

Love is in the air on a Windstar cruise!

993548_10207668418780206_1648262463545009818_n.jpg?oh=81b9cef808154e05bf17bb93139977f2&oe=575D2833

That beverage package info would definitely be of interest to a lot of people, so you are doing a great thing with your updates. I won't be getting that package since I'm the type that may have ONE drink every few days, so it wouldn't be worth it. But hey...with you getting it as a freebie....have a blast.

Ahhh yes, the sandwich shop on the ship. I have heard a bit about that and the thing I found REALLY REALLY interesting is that on most ships, they tell you that you can't bring any food ashore. With the Wind Surf, they said that you call the night before with your sandwich/sandwiches order and that you can pick it up the next morning before you go ashore and they will put it in one of those cooler bags along with chips, fruit, bottled water and all for no fee. They just ask that you bring the cooler bag back to them. It made me want to plan a picnic on one of the beaches just so I could do this.

And hey...love is in the air is fun. Do you know these people?

How are the seas with the rain or has it stopped raining already?

As I was thinking about this, it wasn't fair of me to ask you to get me menu information.

It's no problem at all, my best guess is that the menus don't change at Stella and Candles, so, I'll try and get Amphora for you if I can. Also. anything else I see. The post I referred to as "lost at sea" was my long, hilarious post that got deleted and redone as a quick, look at my dinner post. :D:D

With the Wind Surf, they said that you call the night before with your sandwich/sandwiches order and that you can pick it up the next morning before you go ashore and they will put it in one of those cooler bags along with chips, fruit, bottled water and all for no fee. They just ask that you bring the cooler bag back to them. It made me want to plan a picnic on one of the beaches just so I could do this.

And hey...love is in the air is fun. Do you know these people?

How are the seas with the rain or has it stopped raining already?

I know, I posted on that thread about the sandwiches, too. We'll see....

Love is in the air, I looked down while waiting for sailaway and that couple was there, holding hands, I thought it was sweet.

I don't know if it's still raining, I'm heading to bed, will post more tomorrow

It's no problem at all, my best guess is that the menus don't change at Stella and Candles, so, I'll try and get Amphora for you if I can. Also. anything else I see. The post I referred to as "lost at sea" was my long, hilarious post that got deleted and redone as a quick, look at my dinner post. :D:D

Ahhhh....I understand now about your "Lost at Sea". I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I don't usually follow threads so intently with most of my cruises, but this is my first time on Windstar, so have been reading anything I can get my hands on, but you are giving me a wonderful cram course of all the tidbits I hadn't read about yet. You have no clue how happy these notes are making me. But you are just making me more excited for the time to get here.

And yes, I was told that the two specialty restaurants do not have the changing menus and it is just AmphorA that is the main dining room and has the new menu each night like the main stream larger ships do. So yes, that menu is the only one I would be looking for IF IF IF it is convenient for you. But hey...the pictures of the dishes was a real added bonus, so you are GREAT!!!!

Do you fly home on Saturday when you return or do you stay longer in St. Maarten?