Dale Chihuly blown glass art work on Wonder

Susie51

Does anyone have pictures of of the chandelier tin the atrium?

I went to an art gallery yesterday and saw one of his chandeliers. It reminded me of a cruise ship chandelier I had seen on the Wonder, but I don't have pictures.

Thank you for your help.

Does anyone have pictures of of the chandelier tin the atrium?

I went to an art gallery yesterday and saw one of his chandeliers. It reminded me of a cruise ship chandelier I had seen on the Wonder, but I don't have pictures.

Thank you for your help.

One note - the chandelier on the ship is not glass (too fragile for ship movements), but, I believe the original was. The one on the ship is plastic:

331zmdj.jpg[/img]

The one on the Magic (gone now) was similar, but different colors:

30df58g.jpg[/img]

The one on the Magic (gone now) was similar, but different colors:

I was on the Magic in March, and the lobby/atrium is very bland compared to the Dream and Wonder. All the ships are wonderfully decorated (disclaimer - never been on the Fantasy), but the statement chandeliers make a big difference.

I was on the Magic in March, and the lobby/atrium is very bland compared to the Dream and Wonder. All the ships are wonderfully decorated (disclaimer - never been on the Fantasy), but the statement chandeliers make a big difference.

Yeah, well....IMHO they destroyed the Magic atrium during the "re-imagination." They took out a beautiful chandelier, different design than the Wonder but same artist, and replaced it with a hunk of junk. They removed the double staircase which allowed for so many amazing "staging" events.

Yeah' date=' well....IMHO they destroyed the Magic atrium during the "re-imagination." They took out a beautiful chandelier, different design than the Wonder but same artist, and replaced it with a hunk of junk. They removed the double staircase which allowed for so many amazing "staging" events.[/quote']

This was the original Chihuly chandelier on Magic.

DSCF0208.jpg.03bc98b80ca12dd78fe1117296cd7430.jpg

Edited by PopFla

PopFla, I found a few pictures online so not mine that can show the beauty of the original Magic's chandelier, and the ice cream cone crap that replaced it.

From a google search:

e6.JPG

DCLBlog_DSC_9843_Disney-Magic-Atrium-Chandelier.jpg

And then this. pathetic. thing.

Disney%20Magic%20134-L.jpg

DCLBlog_SGS_2042-Edit_Disney-Magic-Re-Imagined-Atrium-Name-Plate-and-Chandelier.jpg

And the Dream was adorned with such grandure as this:

cbbad6de326f9b2ff2efaa88f4a72722.jpg

Disney-Dream-Chandelier.jpg

ex techie

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I rest my case!

No worries!

It's not just a few people that want the Wonder's chandelier to remain.

I posted a poll a while ago and out of the 16 people that polled, 2 like the Magic's new chandelier and removed staircase and 11 would keep them.

I think that says it all!

ex techie

I don't see how anyone can other than those who like change just for the sake of change can look at the "before" and "after" versions of the Magic atrium and like the "after" better. But to each his own.

My opinion is that DCL took a gorgeous , dramatic setting and turned it into something that could be found on any other cruise line. This is particularly odd given the fanfare that surrounded the original Magic chandelier. I know that it was a pain to keep it clean and lighted, but they'd obviously managed those issues for 15 years and during that time the life expectance of light bulbs increased greatly. I'm just convinced that if they wanted to resolve that issue, they could have.

And if the maintenance issues on the Magic and Wonder were such an issue, why the dramatic light fixture on the Dream?

I don't see how anyone can other than those who like change just for the sake of change can look at the "before" and "after" versions of the Magic atrium and like the "after" better. But to each his own.

My opinion is that DCL took a gorgeous ' date=' dramatic setting and turned it into something that could be found on any other cruise line. This is particularly odd given the fanfare that surrounded the original Magic chandelier. I know that it was a pain to keep it clean and lighted, but they'd obviously managed those issues for 15 years and during that time the life expectance of light bulbs increased greatly. I'm just convinced that if they wanted to resolve that issue, they could have.

And if the maintenance issues on the Magic and Wonder were such an issue, why the dramatic light fixture on the Dream?[/quote']

I absolutely agree.

It was a disgrace to replace the Magic's Chiluhy with what they installed.

And as to maintenance and cleaning, the Fantasy's cannot be much easier either and is equally very grand.

My guess is $$$ sadly.

Again, all images from Google, so not my own.

CRUISE-DIS-3011.jpg

DCLBlog_DSC_2392And14more-Edit_Looking-Up-at-the-Atrium-Chandelier.jpg

DSC05224.jpg

Very Hi-res photo here:

http://www.wdwfanzone.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/DSC_0423.jpg

ex techie

• 2 weeks later...
If you happen to be in Seattle' date=' there is a whole museum devoted to his work.[/quote']

EXCELLENT displays and don't forget the gardens after dark.

Here is a walking tour. In the room with the glass overhead I actually walked into the wall because I was totally captured looking above.

Enjoy!

Edited by Donut23

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from the May 30 Alaska cruise on the Wonder. I was told the Chihuly chandelier is indeed coming down.:( The official explanation we were given was that they are doing some forced perspective thing and want a smaller piece to give the impression of a higher atrium ceiling.

They are also taking out one of the staircases to create more open space and the Ariel statue will moved closer to the remaining staircase from her spot directly in front of Triton's.

I think the Wonder atrium is beautiful as it is and most of the other guests seemed upset to hear the chandelier is leaving. We took a lot of photos of the atrium to preserve its memory!

I just got back from the May 30 Alaska cruise on the Wonder. I was told the Chihuly chandelier is indeed coming down.:( The official explanation we were given was that they are doing some forced perspective thing and want a smaller piece to give the impression of a higher atrium ceiling.

They are also taking out one of the staircases to create more open space and the Ariel statue will moved closer to the remaining staircase from her spot directly in front of Triton's.

I think the Wonder atrium is beautiful as it is and most of the other guests seemed upset to hear the chandelier is leaving. We took a lot of photos of the atrium to preserve its memory!

That's exactly how it was explained to us on our Art of the Theme ship tour on the Magic recently. Since decks 4, and 5 are progressively shorter, it's supposed to make you think they are further away. Supposedly making you feel the atrium is very large. And having the larger chandelier there defeats the look.

I'm not sure how successful the plan is, however.

So sad. They should leave her be.

ex techie

So they are trashing the atrium of the Wonder in the same way they did the Magic. So sad. The "more open space" is crap. All it did was to give them a cubby area for the gingerbread house at Christmas. When the gingerbread house isn't there, the space is a wasted corner. And it destroyed all the amazing staging that was possible with the dual staircases. But they didn't ask me.