2017 cruisers that need to drop

RNsoon2beNP

I invested in a new scale today. I've had my old one for years and felt like it was time to upgrade. It was on sale at Costco so at least I saved a few bucks. Starting tomorrow I will weigh in once a week. Seeing the numbers decrease will be the best motivation!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello all! Back again, as I didn't lose anything for my 2015 cruise. We just booked a 2018 cruise last night, and since I am actively losing weight, thought I'd join you. Since August 25, 2016, I have lost 30 pounds. It's been really slow coming off, but I figure since it didn't go on overnight, I won't expect it to come off overnight either. Since my last cruise, I have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid and Psoriatic Arthritis and I have found that going gluten and dairy free has helped me keep the inflammation more under control, so that has allowed me to finally start losing some weight. All I'm doing is counting calories in and out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...I am going on a 21 day cruise in July of 2017. I need to lose a total of 52 pounds to be at my goal weight (although I've already lost 10, so only 42 to go)!

I'm in my 50's, so obviously the weight loss is slow. Not sure I can lose 42# in 5 months, but honestly if I even get 25 more off I will be thrilled.

I am using an app called "I track bites" which is weight watchers without the group meetings and cost.

I'm happy to have found you all here. Let's do this!

So I thought I had a year to worry about all the weight I want to lose but my husband and I go on a cruise in 37 days now. Never done a last minute cruise or without children. So I would be very happy to lose 10lbs before this first cruise. Struggling with trying to figure out what food is causing my eczema to flare up right now so on a very limited diet which is getting boring. Would love to figure it out before our trip.

After a literal near death experience, I decided that I finally had to go on a serious diet or die.

Before the diet my blood sugar was 185. This morning it was 115 and remains in that neighborhood. I don't have a previous blood pressure number, but this morning it was 115/52. Previously it was very high.

I started my diet less that 90 days ago. I am 6 feet tall and was at 210 pounds. This morning I weighed in at 193 pounds for a net loss of 17 pounds. My goal is to lose 30 to 40 pounds and I know I can do it. I want it off!

Others ask what diet I am on and I tell them it is the "Stop eating diet". It works like this: 1. Stay away from fats, sugars, sweets, soft drinks, booze and high calorie foods. 2. Record the number of calories of EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth. At the end of the day you will know exactly what your caloric intake is and can follow your progress much easier.

If necessary, get a small kitchen scale to weigh your portions. I bought a new electronic scale for $20.

After awhile, you will see the pounds start coming off. Everything you eat should be in very small portions. Gear up on the healthy stuff like fruits and vegetables.

For those who would argue with me about my diet or methods, I only say that it is working for me.

After a literal near death experience, I decided that I finally had to go on a serious diet or die.

Before the diet my blood sugar was 185. This morning it was 115 and remains in that neighborhood. I don't have a previous blood pressure number, but this morning it was 115/52. Previously it was very high.

I started my diet less that 90 days ago. I am 6 feet tall and was at 210 pounds. This morning I weighed in at 193 pounds for a net loss of 17 pounds. My goal is to lose 30 to 40 pounds and I know I can do it. I want it off!

I'm curious but are you female or male?

Others ask what diet I am on and I tell them it is the "Stop eating diet". It works like this: 1. Stay away from fats, sugars, sweets, soft drinks, booze and high calorie foods.

Differs for everyone but in general the one to stay away from is sugar. Check the nutrition label of everything - added sugar comes in all forms such as fruit juices, honey, etc. Too bad the new U.S. nutritional labelling requirements re: added sugar are probably not going to be implemented. Avoid juices and eat fruit instead as the fibre makes sugar absorption more difficult. Fat satisfies your hunger and your body doesn't really absorb it other than what it needs (joint lubrication, etc.). The other one to stay away from is processed carbohydrates.

If you like cereals, my advise is to eat Post/Nabisco Shredded Wheat (and not Shreddies) as it contains nothing (including sugar and salt) except wheat. The Quaker Oats and Kellogg Mini-Wheats (take care as only one variety of Mini-Wheat has no added sugar) equivalents work too.

I'm curious but are you female or male?

Differs for everyone but in general the one to stay away from is sugar. Check the nutrition label of everything - added sugar comes in all forms such as fruit juices, honey, etc. Too bad the new U.S. nutritional labelling requirements re: added sugar are probably not going to be implemented. Avoid juices and eat fruit instead as the fibre makes sugar absorption more difficult. Fat satisfies your hunger and your body doesn't really absorb it other than what it needs (joint lubrication, etc.). The other one to stay away from is processed carbohydrates.

If you like cereals, my advise is to eat Post/Nabisco Shredded Wheat (and not Shreddies) as it contains nothing (including sugar and salt) except wheat. The Quaker Oats and Kellogg Mini-Wheats (take care as only one variety of Mini-Wheat has no added sugar) equivalents work too.

Male.

I quit added sugar entirely and try to avoid prepackaged (manufactured) food. I use one teaspoon of pure honey (from my backyard beehives) in my coffee in the morning.

Also, I don't use added salt anymore. I've found a fantastic substitute that goes great on everything. It is a granulated (pure) lime that gives food that 'salt' kick. Tastes great on everything including meat, fish, poultry, and vegetables.

, I don't use added salt anymore. I've found a fantastic substitute that goes great on everything. It is a granulated (pure) lime that gives food that 'salt' kick. Tastes great on everything including meat, fish, poultry, and vegetables.

What is the name of this product? I really need to cut the salt in my diet.

Anyway, only lost .5 this week. I think I am going to just start weighing myself monthly. I get too discouraged if I don't see a big drop. :(

Hello everyone. My first time to post on this thread. I am going on my first ever cruise in May. I started my most recent weight loss efforts early December 2016 and have lost about 15lbs with a few blips along the way. I am hoping to have another 14lbs gone by end of April and will then start my clothes shopping.

One question I have for you seasoned cruisers, have any of you requested the low fat meals from your cruise line? I am half afraid to do this in case it is just horrible. Not worried about breakfast really as like fruit and cereal then. If there is plenty of salad and cold meat I will fine with that. Dinner, being more of a formal meal will be my time of temptation, as will ports of call, especially if weather is nice. Cocktails and mocktails will be a danger for me too, as will the pool deck ice cream machine.

I am currently full of good intentions about exercising during the cruise, either by walking on port days, climbing slopes and then the jogging track which I hope to walk. I am signing up to a 10km walk about ten days after my cruise as well so hoping that will help keep me in check during that week too.

Good luck everyone and well done on the weight lost so far.

Male.

I quit added sugar entirely and try to avoid prepackaged (manufactured) food. I use one teaspoon of pure honey (from my backyard beehives) in my coffee in the morning.

Also, I don't use added salt anymore. I've found a fantastic substitute that goes great on everything. It is a granulated (pure) lime that gives food that 'salt' kick. Tastes great on everything including meat, fish, poultry, and vegetables.

I was curious. Your target weight for your height would indicate you must have a slender frame (210 lbs at 6' isn't that heavy for a male, but I guess it is). Good that you can keep the sugar down. Good to reward yourself with all your bees' hard work! Do remember it is till sugar (not to you but others too - my B-i-L thinks honey (or even brown sugar) is o.k. because it is natural!).

If you like the dried lime juice, try Tajin. It is a Mexican seasoning (for potato chips and fruits) available at RCSS (at least where I am), also widely available in the U.S. (imported via TX). Has peppers for that kick.

Don't have a weight problem but have marginal HBP despite mnimising sodium intake (might be genetically cursed as both my parents have HBP).

One question I have for you seasoned cruisers, have any of you requested the low fat meals from your cruise line?

Don't worry about fats. Cut the added sugar.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/opinion/a-month-without-sugar.html?utm_source=pocket&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=pockethits&_r=1

I was curious. Your target weight for your height would indicate you must have a slender frame (210 lbs at 6' isn't that heavy for a male, but I guess it is). Good that you can keep the sugar down. Good to reward yourself with all your bees' hard work! Do remember it is till sugar (not to you but others too - my B-i-L thinks honey (or even brown sugar) is o.k. because it is natural!).

If you like the dried lime juice, try Tajin. It is a Mexican seasoning (for potato chips and fruits) available at RCSS (at least where I am), also widely available in the U.S. (imported via TX). Has peppers for that kick.

Don't have a weight problem but have marginal HBP despite mnimising sodium intake (might be genetically cursed as both my parents have HBP).

On most charts that's about 30lbs overweight. I too am 6' and started out at almost 220lbs and am now at 204 since Jan1. Going to PF everyday for excersize besides giving up my morning snacks along with my coffee, have cut out all soda and no ice cream until onboard. Then will walk each morning and find a little time each day to visit the fitnesscenter...Wish everyone success and continued healthy choices

• 3 months later...

How is everyone doing?

My cruise embarks on July 30. I have thus far lost 30 of the 50 pounds I need to lose. No complaints; I feel so much better, have much better activity tolerance etc.

But as I am not to where I eventually want to be, I don't want to blow it all on the cruise. In the past when I've lost weight (yeah, lost 40, gained it all back; lost 50 gained most back) my demise has always started with a vacation where I just figure, "Hey, I'm on vacation. I'll just eat whatever I want and get back on track when I get home." But for me, once I go down that road I have a super hard time getting back on track and that's where I start piling on the weight.

So I am looking for your strategies for not gaining weight while on the cruise. I guess I've decided that for me, this cruise needs to be about the experiences, rather than good food. Fortunately our cruise is a very port intensive cruise and we will be very busy, so I think I can be successful with this. But I am interested in things any of you may have done in the past to stay on your weight loss program. I'll take any and all ideas...

Some I've come up with:

1. Walk, walk, walk. Take the stairs whenever possible.

2. Drink water rather than pop/alcohol. I will allow 1-2 margaritas per week, as they are too delicious to pass up

3. Breakfast via room service so I'm not faced with an entire buffet of temptation. Breakfast should be eggs/fruit, allowing once a week splurge on something like a waffle (we are on a 3 week cruise)

Any other ideas anyone has?

How is everyone doing?

My cruise embarks on July 30. I have thus far lost 30 of the 50 pounds I need to lose. No complaints; I feel so much better, have much better activity tolerance etc.

But as I am not to where I eventually want to be, I don't want to blow it all on the cruise. In the past when I've lost weight (yeah, lost 40, gained it all back; lost 50 gained most back) my demise has always started with a vacation where I just figure, "Hey, I'm on vacation. I'll just eat whatever I want and get back on track when I get home." But for me, once I go down that road I have a super hard time getting back on track and that's where I start piling on the weight.

So I am looking for your strategies for not gaining weight while on the cruise. I guess I've decided that for me, this cruise needs to be about the experiences, rather than good food. Fortunately our cruise is a very port intensive cruise and we will be very busy, so I think I can be successful with this. But I am interested in things any of you may have done in the past to stay on your weight loss program. I'll take any and all ideas...

Some I've come up with:

1. Walk, walk, walk. Take the stairs whenever possible.

2. Drink water rather than pop/alcohol. I will allow 1-2 margaritas per week, as they are too delicious to pass up

3. Breakfast via room service so I'm not faced with an entire buffet of temptation. Breakfast should be eggs/fruit, allowing once a week splurge on something like a waffle (we are on a 3 week cruise)

Any other ideas anyone has?

You have a good plan in place! I don't usually gain more than maybe 5 lbs while cruising because we stay active and take the stairs almost always.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app