Uncruise: any experience?

DRS/NC

Anyone have experience with a small ship company called Uncruise?

Friends were recently booked on a cruise w/them thru the Panama Canal, but it was cancelled 10 days prior.

I've never heard of this company & wondered about it.

Thanks

We’ve done two Uncruise trips. The first was a 14 day Alaska several years ago and then again in October through the San Juan Islands and British Columbia. Both were exceptional. Certainly unfortunate that your friends trip was canceled. I think a Panama Canal trip with them would be nice. We’re now looking at doing one of their Baja trips.

I posted a review here on CC for the October trip on the Safari Quest. There’s quite bit posted about them on the Alaska board, all positive.

They were evasive and just kept saying that the boat was gorgeous but not ready for passengers yet. They did transfer our booking at no cost (February was more expensive than October) and paid the substantial cost of changing our airline reservations. We had insurance and Allianz transferred that as well. I will write a review when we return. We did the Sea of Cortez with them previously and it was a very good experience.

That's an excellent sign: that they took care of you that way! I've been thinking about an Uncruise for some time since everything I've read has been so positive. Your experience, while a bit of a bother, seems to have been dealt with quite well on their end. Looking forward to your report.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my eye on this cruise line for awhile. Seems like a much cheaper alternative to Lindblad. We are considering the Sea of Cortez itinerary.

I hate to even ask this, but is there any internet available during the cruise?

We have work obligations and elderly parents and it would tough to be completely out of touch the whole time.

We are also looking at Uncruise for an Alaska inside passage trip this summer. We would love to hear pros and cons from recent trips with them. Also we are totally new to cruising.

A couple of Uncruise trip reports from the Alaska forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2387165

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2234240

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Costa Rica and Panama. I will write a review. Overall a lot of fun (camp for grownups) with lots of activities for all. A few glitches still need to be worked out as this is still new for them but we had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...
We had no internet access during our Alaska or San Juan trips.

Husband and I are going on the UnCruise Wilderness Adventurer in Apr. 2017 (from Seattle to Juneau). Really having trouble deciding what to bring. Do you know if the rubber boots are plentiful or should we bring our own? How cold will it be in April? Will we be able to get our wet clothes dry? ........ Anything else I should know? Thanks for any thoughts.

Our Alaska trip departed April 30 from Seattle to Juneau. We were on the Safari Explorer. They provided rubber boots, rain pants, as well as Mustang Suites if the weather was bad. Most of the trip was sunny. The evenings were cool. One evening while whale watching after the sun had just set behind the mountains, the crew brought out hot chocolate and schnapps. It was in the 30’s and the coldest it got on the trip.

On the other hand, some of us jumped in the water in Rudyard Inlet and the crew went water skiing. The trick was just to not stay in the water too long. It was beautiful, sunny and in the low 60’s.

• 4 months later...

I'm late to respond but I LOVE UnCruise. Just booked my 4th trip. Took them twice in Alaska, and Panama/CR in April. I would not go on any other line.

First, the minuses if you love all the amenities of big ships: staterooms nothing special, no Internet, one dining room with a few selections at each meal (happy to accommodate requests if nothing appeals to you). No stops to buy Tanzanite. Crew mostly American and paid according to US laws so more expensive and they are not expected to fawn over you. Answer a question about bird species, give you a chart of the constellations, tell you which tectonic plate subducted under which other plate to make the formation you see? Yeah, they can do that.

Pluses; very focused on nature. All-inclusive except for tips which are NOT automatically added to your bill. Fellow passengers smart, curious, unpretentious. Everyone leaves their bling and their egos at home. No locks on stateroom doors! Food locally-sourced where possible, well-prepared, very little out of cans. Alcohol, snorkeling, kayaking, hiking, paddle boarding included (small charge for ultra- thick wet suits in Alaska). I had dessert for lunch and dinner every day (never eat like that at home) and didn't gain weight thanks to all the activity.

In answer to previous question- plenty of boots.

OK, I'll stop now. Can't wait for Baja and the Sea of Cortes!

Edited by Gloria Mundi

Did 2 of their Alaska trips (superb), 2 of their Portland OR trips (one wine, one regular, both superb), and a Costa Rica/Panama trip. Latter OK, but I would strongly recommend taking the pre- or post-cruise extension in the mountains. This cruise line has offered the best experience we've had since our days of yore on the Mandalay.

We just booked the Baja's Bounty Sea of Cortez cruise on Uncruise for February 2018. Looking forward to trying this new cruise line. We took a similar type cruise many years ago on the now defunct Temptress and it was our best vacation ever. Would love to hear tips from those who have cruised on Uncruise about things we shouldn't miss while on board.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I'm going to be on the Wilderness Discoverer this fall for the Uncruise San Juans trip, and I was hoping that I could get some specific information to help me pack. Any idea when I can expect my packet? All I have from my travel agent is the electronic itinerary.

I've done some googling and I know the Navigator cabin is small with a wet bathroom. I'm wondering if there is an integrated clothesline in the bathroom or if there is something I can hook my bungees to dry out sink hand washes. (And I was just assuming to bring the travel sink stopper)

It also sounds like earplugs for engine noise is important.

Additionally, the brochure seems to imply that you can rent boots (some ships they are included but it doesn't look like they are for this one based on my reading of the brochure... and that they will be *needed*!). Are they any good or is this something I need to shop for? I have goretex hiking shoes and boots- would those boots be sufficient or should I go shoes + rubber boots? The googling I've done shows forest hiking, and the people don't appear to be especially muddy.

Finally, it appears the kayaks will be in heavy use- do they have the upgraded seat/backrest combos?

Oh, and Is there anything that you considered the must see part of the cruise for those of you who have taken this trip? When I took a trip on the Safari Quest with American Safari, there were only 10 passengers, so we all did the same thing except a couple stood where you could choose not to kayak or paddle board. I'm assuming with more passengers, there will be more options.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I am late to the party;)...Anyone do UNCruise to Hawaii? I am looking at them...........just wondering about the activity

and if you have to be in good shape? I try to walk every day but I am not a snorkler.....wonder if this itinerary needs to

be for someone who is much more active..........