Vancouver cruise port to Seattle

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

West Coast Departures

Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:35 PM.
Middle of the Sahara Desert
11,561 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Our local Budget can't send cars to the US because of insurance Not all Budget agencies are insured for travel to the states. This according to Budget in Vancouver.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past
YVR & PDX
3,655 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
^So, to clarify - the cars that you first said had a return fee because they could not be rented IN the USA now have no insurance to travel TO the USA... and your local Budget in Kamloops has this policy... which you discovered by calling Budget in Vancouver? That sounds like a completely appropriate course of action...

Since we're now off on a tangent to the original topic of how one might efficiently get to Seattle after a cruise, my dead granny once told me that you should never drive a green car because colour-blind people won't see you if you're next to a red one and since red cars are the most common colour that makes green cars the most dangerous to drive.

I'll continue to be just as concerned about her warning as I am about yours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess: Emerald, Golden x3, Island, Star x2
NCL: Gem, Pearl
HAL: Veendam
Edumacational kiddie cruises: SS Uganda
Middle of the Sahara Desert
11,561 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by martincath
^So, to clarify - the cars that you first said had a return fee because they could not be rented IN the USA now have no insurance to travel TO the USA... and your local Budget in Kamloops has this policy... which you discovered by calling Budget in Vancouver? That sounds like a completely appropriate course of action...

Since we're now off on a tangent to the original topic of how one might efficiently get to Seattle after a cruise, my dead granny once told me that you should never drive a green car because colour-blind people won't see you if you're next to a red one and since red cars are the most common colour that makes green cars the most dangerous to drive.

I'll continue to be just as concerned about her warning as I am about yours.

Cars at Yvr are licensed for the US to and from Seattle as rentals. Seattle can't rent them locally for use in Seattle or Washington State. They be rented back to Yvr or any office in BC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past
1,953 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
The Budget offices outside YVR are licensee locations - their owned fleet can't be returned outside Canada, and you can't book a one-way from the US to them; I experienced this firsthand in lovely Parksville when my Budget rental decided that windshield wipers weren't necessary in December.

For the other companies, the biggest reason they don't want their Canadian-plated cars going on one-ways to the US is that the primary speedometer markings are in km/hr. I have absolutely had, however, BC and Alberta-plated vehicles for domestic reservations.
YVR & PDX
3,655 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Kamloops50
Cars at Yvr are licensed for the US to and from Seattle as rentals. Seattle can't rent them locally for use in Seattle or Washington State. They be rented back to Yvr or any office in BC.
Now it's licensing rather than insurance and they CAN be rented for a one-way trip (and another back to BC) which goes directly against your original point about needing a US plated car and your several prior claims that drop fees equal to the cost of returning the car on a truck were required for one way rentals. If your story was consistent it would be a lot more credible K50...

Originally posted by VibeGuy
The Budget offices outside YVR are licensee locations - their owned fleet can't be returned outside Canada, and you can't book a one-way from the US to them; I experienced this firsthand in lovely Parksville when my Budget rental decided that windshield wipers weren't necessary in December.

For the other companies, the biggest reason they don't want their Canadian-plated cars going on one-ways to the US is that the primary speedometer markings are in km/hr. I have absolutely had, however, BC and Alberta-plated vehicles for domestic reservations.
Since I know you are a frequent visitor and car renter in this area VG I'm happy to take your word about your experiences, especially since you're confirming that you've seen Canadian plates, including BC, available for in-US rental. I can also imagine US drivers much preferring a car with mph on the main dial so being less desirable to rent except to folks wanting to make the return trip to Canada.

The Parksville Budget thing - if I'm parsing that correctly, you were on a drive up from the US and the wipers stopped working in or near Parksville? So you tried to swap cars at the local office and got the story about not being allowed to, since they'd then have a US plate car in Parksville and a BC plate from Parksville would end up in Seattle? This being forbidden, not by law or ICBC, but because the local Budget office is 'sub letting' from the main franchisee who puts restrictions on what they can do?

If I grokked that correctly then it sounds like a straight-up choice made by a particular business how to run their operations which may seem odd but is at least not being blamed on no-longer extant laws or the only insurer in the province (i.e. the same one who insures other rental fleets that do allow one-way rentals). I recall local press having a field day a few years back over dodgy business practises (spurious damage claims) at several Lower Mainland/Vancouver Island Budgets which turned out to have the same owner so that actually does link together somewhat.

But trying to drag this back to directly on topic - if you search for a one way car rental with your desired destination then regardless of whether it's Costco or Expedia or Kayak or an individual rental agency site, the results will show you offices who ARE willing to let you take a car from them to that destination and leave it there. You certainly need to double-check the small print on Unlimited Mileage locations if you plan to deviate from a direct path, especially if you plan to cross into other provinces/states, but even if K50 is actually correct in any or all of the assorted claims made above it simply would not be relevant to you as a renter unless you are silly enough to choose a rental with a hefty drop fee instead of one without.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1,953 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
right, I wanted to trade a defective US corporate-owned car in for one from the local licensee and continue my trip. No dice, as it was a licensee-owned car and they wouldn't allow it to be returned anywhere outside BC.

I use maybe six or seven one-way rentals a year now, and I can say pretty convincingly that the only downtown locations that have been popping up on search at Costco have been the Alamo/National/Enterprise at the pier and the Avis on Hornby. They have a corporate deal with Budget and I know there's a Budget office nearby but it never ever returns anything for a one-way even when it will for a local rental.

Alamo at SeaTac does have a section sometimes of cars they want to get back to Canada - but it's not always there and yet they've never denied me a car.

Off topic, but I actually wonder if ICBC insures the fleet - both ANE and AvisBudget are self-insured for liability in the US, and I would be somewhat surprised they wouldn't use a similar structure outside the US.

In short, as a frequent one-way renter, I've never once had a single issue having an appropriate car waiting for me at Canada Place, the Avis next to the Hotel Vancouver (who seem to like me - I've been getting spectacular comp upgrades) or YVR. I've never had grief at the border going either direction, either.

The drop fees have been well-disclosed. Avis has a clever trick in some corporate agreements in that there's no drop fee, but it's 24 cents/km 40/mile for mileage charges. Alamo, when they have cars, has been the king of unlimited mileage, but getting extra days on the rental is surprisingly hard - they REALLY only want to allow two days from Vancouver to Seattle - they want the car dropped and a new contract executed. It's the only weirdness.
YVR & PDX
3,655 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by VibeGuy
Off topic, but I actually wonder if ICBC insures the fleet - both ANE and AvisBudget are self-insured for liability in the US, and I would be somewhat surprised they wouldn't use a similar structure outside the US.
Thanks for the other info. Regarding this point, ICBC 'Fleetplan' is listed as compulsory for anyone who owns 20+ vehicles in the province (subsidiary companies with 51%+ common ownership are also lumped in as a single fleet, so some serious weaseling would be needed to split a rental fleet up enough to not have this forced upon them!)

Some municipalities/other gov'tal agencies like the PoPo do self-insure here but it may be unlawful for private businesses. If not, then I agree it's hands-down the cheapest way to insure a very large fleet as there is zero profit margin unlike with any actual insurance policy regardless of who the provider is.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature