Hapag-Lloyd Cruises reveals dramatic growth in English-speaking passenger numbers

LauraS

The cultural differences are what concerns me (as well as a language that we do not speak). These articles, IMO, express this well. The BBC article, IMO, this would be similar for those of us in the U.S. and Canada.

BBC News excerpt:

"There are Britons in Berlin who get taken aback by the directness of Germans. And there are Germans who get really annoyed when Britons (and Americans), in an effort to appear friendly, say things that they don't really mean. Some Germans call this 'lying'.

She found (or verified) that Germans really don't do small talk, those little phrases so familiar to the British about the weather or a person's general well-being, but what she describes as "empty verbiage".

Saying things like "It's nice to meet you" are rarely meant the way they are said, she says. 'It's just words. It's stimulating interest in the other person'. From a German perspective, this is uncomfortably close to deceit'"

Lastly, excepts from an article entitled "Communication Styles in Germany and the United States (from a class taught on "Intercultural Education in K-12 Classrooms"):

"Germans tend to say exactly what they mean and do not value superfluous "fillers" within conversations, Americans on the other hand, usually include these fillers without even realizing. Due to this cultural difference, Americans often see Germans as impolite and harsh.

I remember being startled the first time I called a friend's house in Germany and her father answered the phone by saying 'Linnemann' (his last name). There was no polite 'Hello?', only a quick confirmation that I had reached the Linnemann household. While this seemed unnatural to me the first several times it happened, I soon came to realize that the German way of answering the phone was not impolite, but efficient. The same can be said about their communication style in general; it is direct, clear and to the point.

There is one instance in which German communication is not so different from the United States. In both cultures, a lack of eye contact can be interpreted as a sign of weakness, dishonesty and poor self-esteem".

I learned a lot from these articles and wanted to share.

Hehe, I still remember when I first moved to the States and everybody kept asking me how I was. I thought the constant interest in my health and state-of-mind weird. And then those waiters - always telling me their name and wanting to chat with me. So annoying... Over the years I have grown accustomed to it and even manage some 'empty talk' ;p myself.

The younger German generation has lost quite a bit of its formality though, e.g. addressing one's boss with his first name is becoming pretty commonplace. That won't help with the average Europa customer but the Europa 2 with its younger target market should be better. My rule of thumb is if they look older than about 50, I introduce myself with my full name (letting them choose how to respond), if younger I go with my first name.

Catlover54,

Your cruise appears to be after the Europa 2's refresh, so it will be interesting to read of any changes that have been made.

Also, the evening entertainment looks promising with the Vintage Vegas, and Tap Factor, tap dancing, shows.

The 27 October will be here before you know it.

Great help all!

It is a longish cruise, 20 days and all with most of them sea days.

It sounds like we will be spending a lot of time with the other English speakers. Honestly, my biggest fear is not the Germans, but that the other English speakers will try and speak about politics.

I might ask to be put at an all german table if that happens!

So many interesting responses! Jacqueline (BTW, that is my name as well), it is considered to be in extremely bad taste to discuss politics with people that you don't know extremely well. Unfortunately, as you no doubt know, not everyone follows the rules of good taste. If someone brings up politics, I simply (and politely) explain that this is not something that we care to discuss since there are so many different opinions.

Also want to comment on Silversea's "new" Cloud. Firstly, she is far from new - she is very old and was taken out of service by Silversea. I toured her when she was in port and she definitely needed a facelift (actually, a whole body lift). IMO, unless they totally gutted the ship, it is not a ship that I would want to sail on. I would pay special attention to all information that is put forth about this ship to see if they have solved all of the issues (air conditioning being one of them) and that the suites are new (including the bathroom granite and tiles - something that luxury cruise lines do not tend to replace). If she is as advertised, I would give her a try.

English Voyager: Love your post about the differences between *Americans and the English.

cathaana: I can only imagine how strange it felt for people to ask you how you are all the time. As you know, "we" still do that.

Catlover54: Thanks for adding to the articles that I posted. I do wonder what "flashy American jewelry" is. I haven't noticed that "our" jewelry is different than in other countries (except in the Middle East where they sometimes wear what seems like a pound of gold on their necks and arms).

*Speaking of "Americans", I learned something in Costa Rica a few years ago that makes me not refer to myself as an American (instead I say that I'm from the U.S.). A very sweet (young) tour guide reminded us that they are "American" too - as are all people that live in North, Central and South America.

Catlover54,

Your cruise appears to be after the Europa 2's refresh, so it will be interesting to read of any changes that have been made.

Also, the evening entertainment looks promising with the Vintage Vegas, and Tap Factor, tap dancing, shows.

The 27 October will be here before you know it.

I am just back from the "2" Bilbao to Hamburg with a call in my hometown - did not leave i stayed on untill Hamburg

it was not so great the Europa 2 did stay a half day in Jersey on a Sunday where everything was closed

unfortunately her older sister Europa will do the same in september : a full day in Rouen on a "death Sunday"

I will be back a last time on her after dry dock end of September for 5 days and i will inform you about the changes , and make overs.

By the way it was great as usual. Unfortunately she had to wait an hour in Amsterdam to dock as the Crystal Symphony left too late .

I will be back a last time on her after dry dock end of September for 5 days and i will inform you about the changes , and make overs.

By the way it was great as usual .

Wonderful to hear of your enjoyment.

Yes please detail the changes.

I am particularly interested in how the change to be able to split the bed works out.

Aren't the bedside tables attached / fixed in place?

From where will they find the "space" to separate the bed into 2 singles?