Live and Learn

teacherman

We are doing a TA on RCCL and needed to buy one way air to BCN. The cruise is in October. I looked at one way fares and they were quite high. So, for the first time, I decided to book through Air2Sea. I first looked in January, and prices (business class) were lower than the airline, but still high. I monitored them, and when they got to a price I was pleased with, I purchased them. I got the airline I wanted, the flights I wanted, and selected seats. And then, last week, just for the heck of it, I did a dummy booking to see how much the price had increased, since there would be less seats available and the prices would obviously rise. The price was $400 each less than I paid. Live and learn.

I did a dummy booking to see how much the price had increased, since there would be less seats available and the prices would obviously rise. The price was $400 each less than I paid. Live and learn.

It's actually not quite so "obvious." Fewer available seats does not necessarily mean the price would rise. Airlines use complicated algorithms to determine fare class availability. Built into that are certain expectations of the rate of sales. If more seats have been sold, but sales are not at a level the airline expects or desires at that point, they may increase the inventory of available seats in a lower fare class (i.e. lower prices). As a general rule, trying to second guess the airlines is usually an exercise in futility. Buy when you are satisfied with the price and don't look back.

Or you could do what I did for our cruise to Norway next May from Southampton. I saw a very nice biz class price from EWR to LHR, said "oh it is still so far out I will wait". That was last week, this week the same seat is $350 more....oh well. But a coach seat went down, go figure. As others have said, pricing is dynamic, it is based on demand and the airlines have all figured out, at least they think they do and we have to play their game.