Is It Safe in Europe

Viks2086

It's a bit a matter of attitude and awareness. If you want to maximize your safety, stick with ship based excursions.

If you don't want to do that and would like to venture off on your own, keep your head up, don't look like a tourist, and don't wear anything that could identify you with your boat, if you are an American try dressing more to the local customs, (If you want to spot an American male abroad, just look at the shoes.)

In short, if you don't look like a victim, you are less likely to become one. Theives and muggars are lazy, they'll happily pass you by for an easier mark. And for what it's worth, all the stupid travel belts, hidden pockets, and whatever other ideas for security that stupid tourists wear are the very thing that gives them away.

Be confident, be alert, and it would't hurt to learn an armbar technique or two.

Doing a solo cruise next year to Mediterranean and would like to know is its safe to do your own sightseeing off ship... have read tourist have been targeted off the ships!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just like all places there are safe areas and areas to avoid.

I think in your situation it is a good idea to book excursions rather then going it on your own in port. However I would say that no matter where you were sailing.

Europe is wonderful.

Keith

Many touristy spots in Europe have pickpockets, but hardly any have muggers, especially during daylight, so you're physically pretty safe, but your pockets/handbag may be a target. Stow your valuables sensibly and stay alert, and you should be fine.

No matter HOW you dress, you will look like the tourist you are...after all, locals aren't wandering about, taking photos or tours! Just keep your wits about you...don't flash your cash...don't hand over your things to someone offering to take a photo or hold something for you...

It's true that that is no complete safety anywhere, any time.....

Doing a solo cruise next year to Mediterranean and would like to know is its safe to do your own sightseeing off ship... have read tourist have been targeted off the ships!

no safer than the USA. and in fact some European cities have been targeted by terrorists. and not limited to cruise passengers.

I personally would never go anywhere I was unfamiliar with alone. and that includes relatively 'safe' places like Australasia where the disease that's religious extremism hasn't quite reached yet on a large scale. since unfettered immigration of 'refugee' populations is rampant in Europe right now, I would never dream of going off on my own.

Back in 2015 I was in Vienna on a Uniworld walking tour and was pickpocketed. I don't think I look or act like a victim, but it still happened. Apparently I was distracted. When I realized what had happened, I warned others in the group. Several people seemed to want to blame me or make me feel stupid. After all, didn't I notice that something was amiss or didn't I feel something? Pickpockets are professional thieves, and they're skilled at what they do.

I will admit I didn't secure the safety latch on my over-the-shoulder bag because it's hard for me to fasten and unfasten due to some arthritis in my hands. Next trip I'm going to fasten it, and if it means a clerk has to wait 5 minutes for me to get the money out of my purse, so be it.

Roz

If your trepidation is driven by being alone that's easy fixed, go on group excursions. If you are going to be looking over your shoulder that is not enjoyable. Its how you feel that counts not what anybody else feels.

At the end of the day only you can decide. However my attitude is to live life and enjoy and get out there.

Any port in the world could have someone looking for easy pickings- in Europe it's usually pickpockets wanting easy cash and especially passports, which can be worth $10,000 to them- and cause a lot of trouble to you. Never take your passport ashore unless the captain tells you to, but make sure you have a photocopy with all the details on it. Don't wear too much jewellery which might say that you have money, and keep cash well hidden- same with a credit card.

I was pick-pocketted years ago in Spain, but he got away with an old wallet containing a bus pass, library card and a few low denomination notes...

Mentioned several times is BE ALERT.

Walk with your head up and looking around.

I travel a lot internationally, and am amazed at the number of people who are oblivious. Heads down playing with their phones. Standing in a circle open purses and bags and backpacks on the outside of the circle. Standing around head down looking down at a map.

Once in Turkey with my parents, they bought a number of silver pieces at a shop. One the walk back to the hotel, my mother was talking about how many total grams of silver there was. I noticed a guy paying way too much attention. So I moved to be between him and my mother, and kept looking at him. As he moved, I moved to stay in between. After about a half a block, he got scared and almost got run over by a bus jay walking.

Oh, also remember watches are jewelry and cell phones have value. Avoid wearing/flashing them in public.

WRT to terrorism, you are always at risk, here or in Europe. But realize, on the day that terrorists kill 20 people in Europe, 100 people die on the highways in the US. And 100 died the day before when there was no terrorist attack and 100 will die the day after when there is no terrorist. You are more risk driving to the airport and back home.

Your question makes about as much sense as a visitor to the US posting and asking the question - "Is it safe in the United States?"

DON

Just do what you are doing to be safe in other places. Being a victim is not specific to a location.

As others said; it's no more dangerous than the US. In fact I would consider it safer. In major US cities you are more likely to be robbed (as in mugged, weapon, threat of force, etc). In major European cities you are more likely to be stolen from or pick pocketed. As others mentioned, this can be done without you even being aware. So while the loss of item will be disappointing, there's much less danger of injury.

Best advice is to be observant. Carry a cross body bag with the bag in front of you and close to your body with all zippers/fasteners done. Don't walk around with your face in a map. Don't allow people to distract you. This is a big one, they like to work in groups where a child will offer you a bracelet or flower while the adult pick pockets you.

Guns are very rare in the community in Europe. The latest forms of attack have used large vehicles and driven them into crowds. The chance of this type of thing being directed at you is extremely unlikely. If a situation like this was happening in my presence I should be thinking get behind a tree. Unfortunately there are no trees on London Bridge, so you can see why it might have been selected. One guy jumped into the River Thames and became a fatality.

Regards John

Walk facing traffic so that you have warning if an evil person comes along in a vehicle. Also walking shoes and clothes that you can run in or even move sideways quickly out of the way. Even a quick move 3 feet to the left or right could save your life. I would try to join a local walking tour especially if the tour guide speaks the local language.

Be careful in all cities, but be aware of a newer tactic happening in London. Our former exchange student who lives in North London, says roving gangs on mopeds are attacking people right on the streets. They do all kinds of things, like hitting with bats, or whatever and then riding off, after taking whatever they can grab. But their newest thing is throwing acid on their victims. One common thing among most of the attacks are that the victims are using their cell phones and aren't paying attention. They seem to target those who are preoccupied. So be aware of your surroundings at all times.

When it comes to evaluating risk you should always keep your head on straight and pay the most attention to the dangers you're actually likely to encounter. It makes me laugh that a few people up in the thread are worried about refugees and terrorists when they are many, many times more likely to be killed by a fellow American with a gun. There are risks to traveling (as there are with driving a car, walking around in your own city, and so on), but terrorism should be pretty far down your list of fears compared to mundane things like pickpockets and gropers.

If you're sticking to the touristy areas, I'd say walking around on your own is fine if you keep your wits about you. You don't need to hug your backpack to your stomach—like I've seen several tourists do—but just be aware of your possessions and you'll be okay. If you're going slightly more off the beaten path, probably bring at least one other person with you. If you really want to go deeper and you're unfamiliar with the area, take a local guide. I don't think it makes much sense to fear the world like there are attackers and thieves around every corner.

I traveled in Turkey for several weeks in my last year of college, and everyone in my class had a great time with no incidents. We were more or less allowed to roam as long as we had at least one other person with us, so we pretty much splintered off and did our own thing, and always made it back to the bus with all our fingers and toes. Bad areas *usually* look like bad areas, so you just need to use your everyday common sense.

Your question makes about as much sense as a visitor to the US posting and asking the question - "Is it safe in the United States?"

DON

So agree, seems Americans think Europe is full of homicidal maniacs. muggers pickpockets and terrorists.

It's not true of Europe though it is true of the USA where you can be shot for your colour or by some gun toting idiot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums