Raincoat recommendation for Norway

Are you looking for an ultra-lightweight packable one? Or one with a little more weight?

I have tried several of the lightweight packable ones and they all seem to be a bit 'crunchy' for want of a better word. :cool: My favorite for several years has been the LLBean model which is very reasonably priced. The Columbia Arcadia jacket is also good. I read a few reviews recently and Marmot has a couple of jackets for women that were highly rated but they are more expensive and cut more for running than for sightseeing (I like to be able to layer under a rain jacket, potentially including a fleece jacket....)

I've had my trusty Marmot PreCip jacket for almost a decade. It's a shell jacket, not a "fashion" jacket. Or, as Cruisemom said, more for "running.' It layers great, is very lightweight, and I don't think it "squeaks." It's still at a $100 price point most places. Marmot does have some longer-length rain jackets around $180 or so. Worth checking out.

I also have rain jackets from The North Face, Helly Hansen, Mountain Hardware. All are more "activewear", but work well. Helly Hansen has some good rainwear at the under $200 price point.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, really appreciated. I've been doing lots of raincoat research (apparently I need better hobbies). It looks like the ll bean H2Off model gets good ratings. Is that what you have cruisemom?

I'm seeing lots of marmot preclip nwt on Ebay for $60.00. Also, there are tons of columbia arcadia's new on ebay also around $60.00. Does that seem right? I think I'm going to try to head to REI and actually try some of these on. Who knew there were so many differences in a rain coat. I don't mind paying up to $200.00 for something that will last the rest of my life.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, really appreciated. I've been doing lots of raincoat research (apparently I need better hobbies). It looks like the ll bean H2Off model gets good ratings. Is that what you have cruisemom?

I'm seeing lots of marmot preclip nwt on Ebay for $60.00. Also, there are tons of columbia arcadia's new on ebay also around $60.00. Does that seem right? I think I'm going to try to head to REI and actually try some of these on. Who knew there were so many differences in a rain coat. I don't mind paying up to $200.00 for something that will last the rest of my life.

If you are willing to pay $200, consider investing in the LL Bean Stowaway Gore-Tex rain jacket. It features superior hood with good adjustments, cuffs that keep the rain out, snaps as well as a zipper front. This jacket is amazing comfortable and breathes. I live in the Seattle area and have a stable of rain jackets, including all the jacket mentioned in prior posts. The Stowaway jacket is my favorite. I will be wearing this jacket this summer on a month long back to back cruise with land travel that includes several days in Norway and Iceland. I will layer with a down sweater on colder wet days.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/91008?feat=506593-GN3&page=stowaway-rain-jacket-with-gore-tex&csp=f

Edited by PNW Traveler

I think the Stowaway is the model I have (I have velcro over the zipper but it's an old coat). I know I have 2 rain coats from Beans now - one is goretex I bought ~2007 and the other is not goretex, a packable with its own bag. I wear the goretex version far more often (and it's in FANTASTIC shape for being 10 years old and well used!) I almost never use the packable rain coat- and it's not that I don't like it, per se, I just have other coats I prefer. Guess I should send it to Goodwill so someone else can get better use from it.....

I wore the goretex version on an Alaska cruise - layered over a fleece jacket if needed (we had great weather - I almost never needed to!)

There are multiple technologies that are waterproof AND breathable (which is certainly my goal for outerwear!), and I personally find gore-tex to be quite good and not outdated at all. I've not heard of omni-tech. Columbia uses various "omni" technologies in their clothing - and I have a few of their coats I like too, but none of the waterproof raincoats I've ever loved as much as my goretex :hearteyes: Is that where you saw it, or can you point out its use?

There are multiple technologies that are waterproof AND breathable (which is certainly my goal for outerwear!), and I personally find gore-tex to be quite good and not outdated at all. I've not heard of omni-tech. Columbia uses various "omni" technologies in their clothing - and I have a few of their coats I like too, but none of the waterproof raincoats I've ever loved as much as my goretex :hearteyes: Is that where you saw it, or can you point out its use?

Marmot uses "Nano-Pro" as their waterproof material, Columbia uses "Omni-Tech" The North Face uses "Goretex" and "HyVent", etc... Goretex is not old and outdated; it is still quite the technology for waterproof materials. Some companies do not want to pay Gore Industries for true Goretex technologies for their outerwear so they invent their own.

Agree with slidergirl -- all the companies seem to have their own 'technology' but when you actually drill down to read what that technology consists of, they sound remarkably consistent.

I like the ultralight-weight versions as I pretty much only use them for travel and I like to be able to take one with me in my bag as a 'just in case' measure.

If you go with any of the top-rated brands you should be fine. Just find one that fits you well. As I said above, Marmot just doesn't fit me -- designed for someone with broader shoulders and narrower torso. LL Bean fits me well and I like their products. I am on my second (identical) rain jacket and also have their rain pants.

Agree with slidergirl -- all the companies seem to have their own 'technology' but when you actually drill down to read what that technology consists of, they sound remarkably consistent.

I like the ultralight-weight versions as I pretty much only use them for travel and I like to be able to take one with me in my bag as a 'just in case' measure.

If you go with any of the top-rated brands you should be fine. Just find one that fits you well. As I said above, Marmot just doesn't fit me -- designed for someone with broader shoulders and narrower torso. LL Bean fits me well and I like their products. I am on my second (identical) rain jacket and also have their rain pants.

Broad shoulders and narrow torso - sound like me. My Helly Hansen is cut even more narrow at the waist. My Mountain Hardware shell is a little more generous in the midsection. I've never done LLB - being on the other side of the Mississippi, I have Eddie Bauer. I've got both an Eddie Bauer and a Columbia outlet store about 3 miles from my house. I haven't been in either one in probably 4 years. There's a new Mammut outlet there - I may have to try that one out (Mammut is an outdoor brand I saw a lot in Europe, especially Switzerland).

Thanks again ladies~ I really appreciate the dialogue. I'm going to go to REI and LLBean this weekend and try on the marmot, northface, (and others) to see which one I like the fit of best. I'll post which I end up with. Have a great weekend and enjoy those sales!!! :)

• 2 months later...

I just returned from Norway. I ended up purchasing the Marmot Precip. It fit me the best and was a tad longer than north face. The only thing I don't care for is the pockets. They sit high to accommodate a backpack waist strap and just seem unnatural for me. BUT the most important thing is That we had one heavy rain day (in London) and I stayed entirely dry. The marmot is very lightweight for going in a pack. I got dh one too. All in all I'd give it 4.5/5 stars. Thanks again to all who helped in my decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had my trusty Marmot PreCip jacket for almost a decade. It's a shell jacket, not a "fashion" jacket. Or, as Cruisemom said, more for "running.' It layers great, is very lightweight, and I don't think it "squeaks." It's still at a $100 price point most places. ...........

On sale this Friday at REI.

I bought a Cabela's XPG raincoat for a trip to Chicago where we were expecting rain. We walked through a heavy downpour on the lake shore with heavy wind blowing the rain sideways. I was perfectly dry.

The thing I love about this jacket is that the material is soft and quiet, not crinkly at all. Jacket comes with its own stuff sack. DH and DS both got one too. We all love them.

This is the women's:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/womens-clothing/womens-outerwear/womens-rainwear|/pc/104797080/c/104789880/sc/104480280/i/103914180/womens-storms-edge-stretch-rain-jacket/1931774.uts?slotId=8