Alaska Souvenirs

tracid

I thought I might chime in on ideas for true Alaskan souvenirs. It is important to remember that what might be practical or useful in one country might not achieve the same goals once home. When you are in Spain you might think it cute to bring home some castanets or some little wooden shoes from Holland. The same can be said for these ulu knife sets. Used primarily by the native people you'll find them everywhere in every touristy shop on your Alaskan cruise. Everyone buys them and when they get them home they find that their good ole kitchen knife is still their go-to item to chop something. Eventually these ulus wind up in the trash or at a yard sale along with other useless junk.

Now regarding the glacier silt soap in Juneau...when they first got started several years ago the soap was reasonably price for $3-4 a bar. As time went by the price has climbed to $9 a bar which is ludicrously over priced for what is basically a novelty item to say the least.

If you want to bring home something that is definitely made in Alaska and also a rarity I'd suggest three things that surely will be used once you get them home.

1st. Birch syrup. Virtually unknown outside of Alaska with a very unique taste. Alaskans use it as a final baste when they smoke salmon but its wonderful on pancakes or french toast too. They draw syrup from Alaskan Birch trees much like on the East coast with Maples. You'll have to hunt around in the shops downtown but you'll find it. A little expensive but I can almost bet whether you keep it for yourself or give it as a gift you'll have no idea it even existed.

2nd. Fireweed jam. Harvested and made into a jam right in and from Alaska. Inexpensive and useful unlike those ulus!

3rd... and finally raindeer jerkey. Try to find this outside Alaska! Quirky and will definitely bring a surprised look on whoever you give it to.

Those are my ideas for actually useful gifts that could only be found in Alaska.

You were lucky.... on my trips.... metal detectors are waiting when you reboard the ship. They will hold your Ulu's until the end of the cruise.

It all depends on the line. Some lines take them others don't. If it is held by the ship it will be returned at or shortly before disembarkation.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: we ended up buying locally made jams: fireweed jelly, salmonberry, and sea kelp marmalade. We also purchased some of the glacier soaps. Tip: they are actually cheaper in Ketchikan then at the store in Juneau.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

An Ulu is something either you find using all the time or never. DD is the Ulu Queen. It's her go to knife for chopping herbs, onions, garlic, eggs, carne asada etc. I use it to make chopped liver. Bought mine on Icy Straight Point with an elk horn handle many years ago.

I bought some stick lotion at the top of Mt Roberts about 10 years ago. Forget the flavor but it was Alaskan.

When in Juneau I always stop by both the Juneau Artists Gallery (which is co op of local artists) and the store associated with the Sealaska Heritage Center. Both are downtown. And since the Sealaska Heritage Center is a non-profit they seem to be exempt from charging sales tax. Last month I bought two pairs of earrings at each of the stores.

Just returned from our Alaskan cruise on the 11th. I bought 4 Ulu Knife/Chopping Bowl sets for family members. Everyone loves them!

Security on Radiance of the Seas did NOT take the items when I returned to the ship. They did, however, take the small pocket knife that was purchased for my 9-year old grandson. I got it back the night before departing.

Karen.

Hi guys. Getting ready for first Alaska trip in August. Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan ports.

Need to pick up few souvenirs, trinkets, tees, etc. for few friends and family. Any suggestions on items native to Alaska that you would suggest?

A whale or walrus penis bone

Yes please I would also like to know

I got them at a store on Creek St. Cant remember the name but it was a fairly good sized store in the middle strip of the creek. They had all kinds of lotions, face masks, soaps made with the glacier silt. I picked up a couple different brands including Glacier Smoothie.

• 1 month later...
I got them at a store on Creek St. Cant remember the name but it was a fairly good sized store in the middle strip of the creek. They had all kinds of lotions, face masks, soaps made with the glacier silt. I picked up a couple different brands including Glacier Smoothie.

I ended up finding some at the Blasphemous Bill's store in Ketchikan. They were a little bit cheaper when buying three.