Book now to Seattle?

JZenkow

I was just looking to see what flights were available at this time for our cruise June 2018 out of Seattle. Long story short, the 2 perfect flights,(good price, right departure times, non stop ) popped up.

My concern is whether the airlines will keep this flight , or if they will cancel it, a slight adjustment, 30 minutes either way is fine,

Anyone know how reliable I can count on the airline not cancelling the flight this far out(300+ days)?

Anyone know how reliable I can count on the airline not cancelling the flight this far out(300+ days)?
No. Even someone working for the airline couldn't tell you that.

I know from experience that United doesn't mind changing the schedule up to 60-90 days before the flight. After that, things are fairly stable barring an last minute equipment swap. Living at a UA hub colors my perceptions - an outstation might be more stable.

You pays your money, you takes your chances. Check your flights weekly. Fri evening into Sat is when UA messes with, er, enhances the schedule/equipment. I tend to check weekly after Fri/Sat for changes.

(You didn't mention the airline. It would be a rash assumption that DL/AA/WN/F9/AS/etc are the same as UA. More specifics would help - someone with experience with *your* airline from *your* city pair could chime in. However "the plural of anecdote is not data". Our experience will not mean the airline won't do something. For example, my understanding is the DL and AS are in a bit of a battle over Seattle, so things may be more volatile there.)

Does not matter if you book with the cruise line air or direct with the airline.

Does not matter if you book nine months out or 30 days out.

You flight sched is always at risk of being changed by the carrier.

One other thing to remember is that "cancellation" of a flight can be one of two types:

1) Operational - the aircraft is unflyable, due to weather, mechanical or crew issues. This generally happens on day of flight, and shortly before departure.

2) Scheduled changes - the overall schedule of flights between the city pair is changed, not just on one particular day. These can happen as airlines reconfigure their aircraft and crew allocations to meet market conditions. It can be anything from a change of flight number, departure/arrival times, or aircraft type all the way to a complete elimination of flights (including dropping a city from service). This will happen at least 30 days out, is completely unpredictable and may or may not happen to any particular city pair.

Our experience with long term bookings via American, United or Delta is that its more likely, then not, that something will change (sometimes several times) before your travel day. If its a substantial change you can always demand a total refund...and book with another airline. And keeping Seattle in mind, I do believe the airport is served by both Southwest and JetBlue (our two favorite domestic airlines)...neither one of which has schedules this far in advance. With Southwest and Jetblue we seldom have any schedule changes...once booked.

Hank

The flight is on American out of Philadelphia. As I said, I think they will tweak the schedule, but that is okay, My concern is them dropping the flight all together, especially the return flight. I was thinking that maybe if they saw some action on the flight, they would be less inclined to cancel it. I was surprised to see the flight listed, I was just looking to get a general idea of what was available,and when it came up it was OMG it was if they had asked me when I wanted to fly.

I should also add that I am reserving for a group of 5. So right now seats together are easy.

The flight is on American out of Philadelphia. As I said, I think they will tweak the schedule, but that is okay, My concern is them dropping the flight all together, especially the return flight. I was thinking that maybe if they saw some action on the flight, they would be less inclined to cancel it.

Five tickets, on one day only, between PHL and SEA are not going to be any kind of "action" that would generate schedule changes. Contrary to what some think, airlines do not just cancel specific flights on specific days because they didn't sell "enough" tickets. Schedule changes are NOT done capriciously nor are they done because one particular date isn't selling well. Changes are well coordinated to match overall market demands, airline equipment availability and utilization, and crew resource allocation.

Whether or not you buy five tickets on that flight won't change if it's being "cancelled" or not. It's how the market as a whole buys or doesn't buy flights between city pairs. OTOH, if you were buying fifty tickets a day for periods of several months, that would impact the yield management algorithms. Scale.

When I find flights for a cruise that are the dates I want, at the times I want, and at an agreeable price, I hit the purchase button and don't look back. On the rare occasion that there have been unacceptable schedule changes, I have called the airline, explained the situation, and been re-accommodated to the best possible flights.

Why dither over possibilities that are both unlikely and totally out of your control? Hesitate long enough and those good fares will evaporate.

As an AA frequent flier, I can tell you that I would never count on an AA (or, really, UA or DL) schedule 300 days out. It'll change. It may be a few minutes, it may be a few hours, but it will change.

Ours was moved back by 9 hrs. Not a problem but I was a little surprised it would change that much.

• 3 weeks later...
The flight is on American out of Philadelphia. As I said, I think they will tweak the schedule, but that is okay, My concern is them dropping the flight all together, especially the return flight. I was thinking that maybe if they saw some action on the flight, they would be less inclined to cancel it. I was surprised to see the flight listed, I was just looking to get a general idea of what was available,and when it came up it was OMG it was if they had asked me when I wanted to fly.

I should also add that I am reserving for a group of 5. So right now seats together are easy.

How early are you flying out? We're looking to fly out of Dulles, VIrginia the day before the cruise, but perhaps we should build in an extra day to make sure we don't miss the cruise if the flight gets delayed?

The PHL to SEA flight on AA/US has been around for years and seldom changes more than an hour or so in either direction. If your are that tight on time you need to rethink your dates of travel.

I fly that route pretty often and in the summer AA runs 2x daily PHL-SEA nonstops (and Alaska flies 1.) I wouldn't be concerned; however I wouldn't take the morning flight on the same day your cruise departs. Too many thing can go sideways, and while you'd be accommodated on a later flight if the morning flight was canceled or delayed, it wouldn't help you if your ship is disappearing over the horizon when you get to town.

I would not be worried about the flight being dropped. Once you buy the flight the airline is committed to getting you to your destination at approximately the same time. If they cancel just pick another flight and demand they move you onto that flight at no additional cost. With flight cancellations airlines try to be very responsible with re-accommodating passengers.

I would not be worried about the flight being dropped. Once you buy the flight the airline is committed to getting you to your destination at approximately the same time. If they cancel just pick another flight and demand they move you onto that flight at no additional cost. With flight cancellations airlines try to be very responsible with re-accommodating passengers.

Not exactly true. When you buy a ticket, the agreement is simply to get you from point A to point B. If the airline makes a schedule change, they will TRY to reaccommodate you, but people need to understand that they have no obligation to get you to your destination "at approximately the same time" as you said. If there are no viable options for reaccommodation, you generally have the right to get a refund, at which point you can pick another airline and buy a new ticket.

Not exactly true. When you buy a ticket, the agreement is simply to get you from point A to point B. If the airline makes a schedule change, they will TRY to reaccommodate you, but people need to understand that they have no obligation to get you to your destination "at approximately the same time" as you said. If there are no viable options for reaccommodation, you generally have the right to get a refund, at which point you can pick another airline and buy a new ticket.

My expensive with a number of airlines Is if they make a schedule change in advance if you call them they will put you on an earlier or later flight, whatever you want to re-accommodate your travel.

Do they have some clauses in the terms of service that say they are not responsible for doing that. Probably, and the wording is probably different from airline to airline.

That said the guidelines that the airline staff and travel agents have to work with are much more accommodating.

Here is the Air Canada guidelines. It basically says use any flight +/- 3 days try to book at the same fare class, if you can't then keep the passenger in the same cabin.

https://www.aircanada.com/content/dam/aircanada/portal/documents/PDF/agents/en/ca/reference/schedule_change_policy.pdf

My expensive with a number of airlines Is if they make a schedule change in advance if you call them they will put you on an earlier or later flight, whatever you want to re-accommodate your travel.

Yes, I don't dispute any of that. The issue is whether they have to get you there at approximately the same time or not, and they don't. Will they TRY? Almost certainly. But if there are simply no options that accomplish that goal, you either take whatever they can give you (which may or may not work for your travel/cruise plans) or you leave it, get a refund, and try to book with another airline.

I fly that route pretty often and in the summer AA runs 2x daily PHL-SEA nonstops (and Alaska flies 1.) I wouldn't be concerned; however I wouldn't take the morning flight on the same day your cruise departs. Too many thing can go sideways, and while you'd be accommodated on a later flight if the morning flight was canceled or delayed, it wouldn't help you if your ship is disappearing over the horizon when you get to town.

Agreed, always go in the day before--or even two. Seattle is a beautiful city with a lot to see and discover!

An update. I did in fact book the flights and will hope nothing changes in a major way.

I am flying in the day before, on this flight, What I liked is that it left around, 8:30 am, nor 5 or 6 in the AM, which I have taken heat, from my family for in the past, It is timing, so that we can spend some time in Seattle, but we didnt have to get up at 3am to make the flight. If this flight changed it would be an incovenience, but not a problem.

My concern was the return flight, This was the only flight getting us back into Philly before Midnight (which Has to happen), and is also a direct flight, My concern, AA cancels this flight in say March, and by then other flights have filled, so the only option gets us into Philly at 5 or 6 the next morning.

Booking early is good if you can save $$$ and yes the downfall are schedule changes. I booked 330 days in advance Frequent Flier Tickets to Tampa from San Jose CA or a Trans Atlantic Cruise. As its spring break time the fares or mileage redemption could go up on Delta.

There have already been some changes in the schedule but only by a few minutes and if its a major change Delta will let us rebook for no additional fee.

You just need to keep looking at your reservation and e-mail inbox every so often. Perhaps if there is a significant change you can fly in even earlier and have extra time at your destination before the cruise.

On the return you need to allow time for disembarking the ship which is why I try and stay at least one night after we arrive but more like 3 or 4 nights just to avoid any issues. I do understand that some people need to get back to work right away but this is a general tip that saves you stress.

Lets just say your cruise got into port late due to a malfunction or medical emergency you would be put on a later flight or if there is a weather disturbance. But if you had booked a flight a day or two later your margin of error decreases but yes mother nature can get into the way.

Just my 2 cents.

An update. I did in fact book the flights and will hope nothing changes in a major way.

I am flying in the day before, on this flight, What I liked is that it left around, 8:30 am, nor 5 or 6 in the AM, which I have taken heat, from my family for in the past, It is timing, so that we can spend some time in Seattle, but we didnt have to get up at 3am to make the flight. If this flight changed it would be an incovenience, but not a problem.

My concern was the return flight, This was the only flight getting us back into Philly before Midnight (which Has to happen), and is also a direct flight, My concern, AA cancels this flight in say March, and by then other flights have filled, so the only option gets us into Philly at 5 or 6 the next morning.

Let go of the notion that you HAVE to get to PHL before midnight. AA may not cancel your flight, they may not change it at all. But, then again, they might, and your parade of horribles may become real.

And tell your family members that they can book the next flights.;)