Driving from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale

The bubble

We will be driving from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale over spring break. Want to break up the trip and drive perhaps 3/4's of the way there.

Anyone have suggestions as to the best city to stop overnight? Orlando would only be about 3 hrs away from the port, but the hotel prices are very high.

Any hotel recommendations would also be appreciated. Not looking to pay high rates since we will be 8 travelers. Just want clean and safe.

Thanks in advance.

Since you are driving from Atlanta, Melbourne would be way out of the way. Fort Pierce is close enough to South Florida to not be worth stopping there, in my opinion - but it is a decent option, too.

You would almost certainly be taking 75 down which takes you to Orlando. 3/4 of the way could land you in Winter Haven just south west of Orlando. My suggestion would be a hotel in Winter Haven, it's inexpensive, then take US27 straight to Miami which is a much more scenic/interesting drive compared to the Turnpike, much less traffic, more relaxed, and only a difference of 20 minutes or so.

Winter Haven is where Legoland is located. Plenty of very inexpensive places to stay in the area.

Since you are driving from Atlanta, Melbourne would be way out of the way. Fort Pierce is close enough to South Florida to not be worth stopping there, in my opinion - but it is a decent option, too.

You would almost certainly be taking 75 down which takes you to Orlando. 3/4 of the way could land you in Winter Haven just south west of Orlando. My suggestion would be a hotel in Winter Haven, it's inexpensive, then take US27 straight to Miami which is a much more scenic/interesting drive compared to the Turnpike, much less traffic, more relaxed, and only a difference of 20 minutes or so.

Winter Haven is where Legoland is located. Plenty of very inexpensive places to stay in the area.

Thank you very much for your recommendation. Will look into Winter Haven as well.

Thank you very much for your recommendation. Will look into Winter Haven as well.

I drove from north Georgia just this last week, I go to Orlando often, and also Winter Haven and up US27 all the time as I have family in Lake Placid. We really prefer US27 and I hate the turnpike with a passion - super boring, always enough cars to be annoying, the rest stops are often a zoo, etc. If you budget an extra hour or two and decide to go the US27 route, consider stopping at Gatorama (not to be confused with Gatorland in Orlando) on your way down to Miami. It's one of the last real roadside attractions with tons of gators, petting area, etc.

I drove from north Georgia just this last week, I go to Orlando often, and also Winter Haven and up US27 all the time as I have family in Lake Placid. We really prefer US27 and I hate the turnpike with a passion - super boring, always enough cars to be annoying, the rest stops are often a zoo, etc. If you budget an extra hour or two and decide to go the US27 route, consider stopping at Gatorama (not to be confused with Gatorland in Orlando) on your way down to Miami. It's one of the last real roadside attractions with tons of gators, petting area, etc.

Thanks for all your suggestions BNBR. Cruise is out of Ft. Lauderdale. Looking into Winter Haven because that is a little under 7 hrs from our home and then just a little over 3 hrs to Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks for all your suggestions BNBR. Cruise is out of Ft. Lauderdale. Looking into Winter Haven because that is a little under 7 hrs from our home and then just a little over 3 hrs to Ft. Lauderdale.

US27 connects to I75 just west of Fort Lauderdale (don't let that confuse you!)... which essentially turns into 595 east, which ends at the cruise terminal... It's as easy a drive as it gets and no city traffic at all in South Florida. Look on Google Maps, it's simple as can be. Follow 595 west from the cruise port and you'll see it connect to US27.

US27 connects to I75 just west of Fort Lauderdale (don't let that confuse you!)... which essentially turns into 595 east, which ends at the cruise terminal... It's as easy a drive as it gets and no city traffic at all in South Florida. Look on Google Maps, it's simple as can be. Follow 595 west from the cruise port and you'll see it connect to US27.

You have been a great help to us. Just booked Lake Ida Beach Resort in Winter Haven. Do you know anything about this place? They are cabins and the reviews look ok.

Thank you very much for all your help. I am printing it all out.

Bubble.....sorry for my bad suggestions!!

We always drive to Canaveral but we travel I-16 to I-95, so that is why I had Melbourne and Ft Pierce on my mind.

Glad you got some helpful advice!! Have a wonderful cruise!!!

Bubble.....sorry for my bad suggestions!!

We always drive to Canaveral but we travel I-16 to I-95, so that is why I had Melbourne and Ft Pierce on my mind.

Glad you got some helpful advice!! Have a wonderful cruise!!!

Dianne, you didn't give me bad advise. We just didn't want to stay in the Canaveral, Orlando area because of the crowds and the hotels are more expensive in those areas. I booked these cabins in Winter Haven, but not sure we will keep the reservation. Looking for inexpensive because we are footing the cost of this cruise for our daughter's family and trying to keep expenses down with the extra's. All advise is welcome.

Thank you.

The cabins look a little old but you are just staying overnight. Maybe charming? The reviews seem OK. There is plenty of hotels in the area if you decide to change.

GTOgirls Fort Piece suggestion isn't bad if you don't mind driving further on your initial trip. You would pick up the turnpike from Orlando and it takes you right through Fort Pierce. It'll be an extra 1.5 hours or so on your first leg.

If you are like me at all, seeing something a little different is fun. Which is why I suggest US27. Plus Winter Haven is cheaper than Orlando. Either direction will work. Fort Pierce would probably be the next place to stop of you decide to take the turnpike and go past Orlando. Winter Haven if you take US27. Either works.

From Atlanta we'd get on the Turnpike in Orlando and stay just south of Orlando for the night. Sometimes we stay with friends in Orlando.

We normally drive down from SC on I-95 the whole way and find the Melbourne a convenient stopping point for us -- full service Holiday Inn directly off of I-95. :)

Yes, not too sure about those cabins. Have read mixed reviews but can cancel until 3 days before so will still be looking at other places as well.

Once again, thank you for all the suggestions. It has been very helpful.

With it being Easter week, some of the hotels are already booked.

WE are in middle GA and go down 75 to Ft Myers and stay the night there. Get up in the morning and drive two hours across Alligator Alley to Ft Lauderdale. Ft Myers is usually a little cheaper that the east coast areas for hotels.

WE are in middle GA and go down 75 to Ft Myers and stay the night there. Get up in the morning and drive two hours across Alligator Alley to Ft Lauderdale. Ft Myers is usually a little cheaper that the east coast areas for hotels.

Hi Molme,

Another good suggestion to check out. Thank you very much.

Hi Bubble,

We live in "the Bubble", south of the Atlanta airport and drive to Miami or Ft Lauderdale for cruising. We usually stay around the Ft Pierce area but will be near Orlando this time. There is a condo resort near Kissimmee just off 27 that has a hotel we have used too. It is Summer Bay by Exploria if you want to look into that. Staying there on way to Miami. Never have taken 27 down, always go over to pick up the turnpike.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Bubble,

We live in "the Bubble", south of the Atlanta airport and drive to Miami or Ft Lauderdale for cruising. We usually stay around the Ft Pierce area but will be near Orlando this time. There is a condo resort near Kissimmee just off 27 that has a hotel we have used too. It is Summer Bay by Exploria if you want to look into that. Staying there on way to Miami. Never have taken 27 down, always go over to pick up the turnpike.

Enjoy your cruise.

27 will add 20 - 30 minutes to the drive which isn't much on a 3+ hour drive and save you $20 in tolls... but really, we just think it's a more relaxed, interesting drive. Turnpike, especially during the busy season, I'd rather stay home!

Hi Bubble,

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Cruisergal1208,

We also live in the bubble, hence my name......Small world.

I will check out the condo resort that you recommended as well. So glad that many of you have given me food for thought about the area we should stop at. Will definitely check them all out.

We usually fly to our cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, but with 8 of us traveling, air fare is out of the question.

Yes I thought that might be why you are using your screen name. 😉The hotel at Summer Bay is nice and if you shop around different pricing sites you should find a good price. Which line and ship will you be on? We have been sailing MSC Divina for several cruises.

Yes I thought that might be why you are using your screen name. 😉The hotel at Summer Bay is nice and if you shop around different pricing sites you should find a good price. Which line and ship will you be on? We have been sailing MSC Divina for several cruises.

Will definitely check out Summer Bay. We are on RC Harmony of the Seas over Easter week. We are celebrating out daughter's 20th wedding anniversary, our granddaughters sweet 16 and our grandsons high school graduation and he turns 18 during the cruise. Lots to be grateful for.

We have never done a cruise on MSC . My husband and I usually cruise on Celebrity.

Congratulations on all of your celebrations. We have cruised a lot with Celebrity, HAL, Princess and a few with RCL. I know you all will have a grand time.

Thanks very much.

So here's what we did. Cancelled out Lk Ida Beach in Winter Haven, just had bad vibes.

Booked Hampton Inn in Ft. Pierce, and Quality Inn in Kissimmee both at decent prices and refundable until 3 days before. Will decide a week before where we want to stop and cancel out the other reservation.

Thanks to all for your recommendations. Appreciate everyones suggestions.

We really like staying at the Hampton Inn at Ft Pierce and it's a shorter drive to port than from Kissimmee. As you know, if you let the staff know about the celebrations, you will get appropriate perks.

Just enjoyed watching the eclipse on tv and in our little pin hole boxes. Awesome to be able to have this experience.

We really like staying at the Hampton Inn at Ft Pierce and it's a shorter drive to port than from Kissimmee. As you know, if you let the staff know about the celebrations, you will get appropriate perks.

Just enjoyed watching the eclipse on tv and in our little pin hole boxes. Awesome to be able to have this experience.

The woman at the hotel when I booked the reservation was lovely. Thanks for letting me know that you liked the Hampton Inn there.

We had 1 pair of glasses that we both looked through and my husband also had made a box with the pin hole as well. It was an amazing experience.