What to wear for Celebrity "drive-by" in February?

OnTheJourney

Hi,

I've seen quite a wide temperature range from various internet sites, and so thought I'd ask here. Since I don't need to worry about dressing for zodiac expeditions, that should make things a bit less complicated. So what daytime temps can I expect? I'm thinking 30-40s (F)? So plan to dress in layers? Thermal underwear and gloves?

Thanks,

Keith

On landings or on board, we have experienced temperatures between 2C and -5C, so not too cold. However, wind chill is the biggest problem and so, as you say, layers are the answer with gloves, a hat and covering for the neck 'gap' essential..

You refer to 'daytime' temperatures. You will most likely (hopefully) also find yourself out on deck in the evening/night. The Antarctic Show on the White Stage is 24/7...

Hi,

I've seen quite a wide temperature range from various internet sites, and so thought I'd ask here. Since I don't need to worry about dressing for zodiac expeditions, that should make things a bit less complicated. So what daytime temps can I expect? I'm thinking 30-40s (F)? So plan to dress in layers? Thermal underwear and gloves?

Thanks,

Keith

That's the likely temperature range (though of course it could be colder or warmer), but don't forget about the wind. To be comfortable out on deck for any period of time (as you'll want to be), I recommend starting with a good base layer. And yes of course -- gloves and a hat, and something to keep your neck warm (and the wind out).

And yes to dressing in layers.

Have a fantastic time!

Layers, layers, layers ... with the outermost bottoms and tops being windproof (I'd select options that are waterproof as well to protect against rain/sleet/snow). A windproof hat will do wonders for how warm you will feel. Would be nice to have windproof gloves, but I find most are too bulky, so most of the time I've worn liners with fleece glo-mitts.

Antarctica during the tourist season is a near 24/7 show. My favorite place to be is outside on deck. So, I also take toe (especially) and hand warmers (charcoal thingies that activate when you expose them to air). It's amazing how much longer I can sit or wander around on deck when my feet are cozy ... I stick the warmers on the bottom of the first pair of socks and slip on another pair over them. And yes, I do this even though I know I can go indoors to warm up ... I prefer not to have to do that too often, as you never know what will pop up the minute you go inside. ;)

Not sure what your itinerary is, but everything I mentioned allowed me to sit on my veranda or wander around on deck for hours on end once we reached the Chilean Fjords on a Celebrity Infinity cruise on which we rounded South America.

Have a terrific trip. The Antarctic is a fabulous place to visit.

• 3 months later...

We did this cruise (Infinity?) last February in an aft cabin. There is less wind on the aft which allowed us to be outside longer. There is no doubt that it is cold and layers plus hat, gloves, heavy socks and scarf for covering neck and face were all used in order to let us enjoy being outside. We had snow one day, but it was not heavy and did not stick.

Loved this cruise - enjoy!

• 1 month later...

I did this trip back in February on Celebrity Infinity, I got some great pictures. Also the excursions from Ushuaia, Falkland Islands and Puerto Madryn have great and unique photo opportunities.

I would say that the Antarctica drive through as well as the Falklands Islands and Ushuaia excursions, can be very cold. It was probably around 32F and it is the wind and wind chill that can make it uncomfortable.

During the drive-through, you can easily go back in the ship if it gets too cold, but on the other excursions you are out there. If I was going out in it today I would wear:

Normal thin socks with thick socks on top of them.

My normal Nike shoes

Long johns under my jeans

A Nike type compression shirt, t-shirt, sweater, windproof jacket

Warm gloves or 2 pairs of gloves

A scarf that can be pulled up to cover the mouth and nose

A hat that covers the ears, maybe a balaclava

The wind makes it feel colder than it is, and it will probably be windy on at least 1 of the days you are out! Puerto Madryn was not nearly as cold as further south.

I wrote a small blog about my trip here:

Antarctica Travel Blog

• 2 months later...

Going and coming back to Antarctica was pretty smooth sailing. It did get a bit rough going out to the Falkland Islands though. It wasn't quite plates sliding off tables rough, but the waiters were tested bringing the big trays of food!

• 1 month later...

We did this cruise in late January. As Australians we don't own a lot of cold weather gear. My advice on what to wear is everything you have! It is freezing outside and the wind is icy, however this was the most fabulous cruise I have ever done, one morning a minke whale was below my balcony just looking at me.

Get a good coat, gloves, beanie and enjoy.