What do u do on day of departure

soggy1975

By the looks of my research you normally get kicked off the boat q early on your last day.

If my return flight home is q late on the same day what would you normally do on that day?

Is there somewhere to store your bags?

Also if i book a thomsons cruise transfers are included..what happens in this situation?

Thanks

Sometimes there are ship excursions that last for a few hours and take you to the airport at the end. They would store your bags during the excursion.

We've also rented a vehicle and did some local touring for a few hours, storing the bags in the vehicle.

Some hotels have day rates where you can spend a few hours at the hotel for a reduced rate.

We try to schedule our flight between 11am and noon. I can think of nothing worse than trying to "kill time" after a great vacation! You will most likely be off the ship by 8:30am...maybe 9am.....unless the airport is very far away, there's no need to book a flight late in the day.

We inadvertently were booked on a flight about 10 hours after we got off the ship...and that was the absolute WORST day!

I would compare the prices of an excursion, a rental car, a day room and changing your flight! Pick the cheaper option!

Edited by cb at sea

By the looks of my research you normally get kicked off the boat q early on your last day.

If my return flight home is q late on the same day what would you normally do on that day?

Is there somewhere to store your bags?

Also if i book a thomsons cruise transfers are included..what happens in this situation?

Thanks

generally speaking you have two options: book an excursion through the cruise line that offers drop off at the airport at the end, or find a day room somewhere where you can relax, maybe hang out by the pool for a few hours before heading to the airport.

Since you mentioned Thomsons, I suspect you are not sailing from a US port. If you go to the board here for Thomson, under Cruise Lines P-Z, I suspect you will get more information about how they work debarkation day. EM

We try to schedule our flight between 11am and noon. I can think of nothing worse than trying to "kill time" after a great vacation! You will most likely be off the ship by 8:30am...maybe 9am.....unless the airport is very far away, there's no need to book a flight late in the day.

We inadvertently were booked on a flight about 10 hours after we got off the ship...and that was the absolute WORST day!

I would compare the prices of an excursion, a rental car, a day room and changing your flight! Pick the cheaper option!

wrong again... there are MANY times when the only option is a late flight. some airports only have one or two flights a day, and more than a few are red eyes. especially when traveling internationally or cross country.

We've done the post-cruise excursion before, but if our flight is several hours later than our arrival at the airport, we don't sweat it. While we could rent a car, it would mean we have to have pick-up, then drop off and I hate the drop off/shuttle thing. We usually just go to the airport. Security lines are long and you never know how long you will be there. We will need a meal before our flight time since we were held to a very early, rushed breakfast on the ship, and we know we aren't going to get fed during our flight in our economy seats. We've found that there's now a pretty good variety of places to sit and eat in most of the airports. If it's an airport that's new to us, I scope out the options prior to our trip. We sit, enjoy a leisurely meal, maybe even an end of vacation drink, do a bit of browsing in the shops, use the airport wifi, change into more weather appropriate clothing for our final destination (especially at this time of year), drag out the coats, confirm our shuttle from the airport to our car, check on pick up time for our furbabies and do a bit of people watching...and there's no place like the airport for THAT! Some of our group usually stick their neck pillow on and nap. I'd rather be WAY too early than to cut it close and miss a flight. Slowly drags us back to reality.

Thomson keep you on board until your plane is ready to land. This can be late in the afternoon. You don't have your cabin, but you can use all the facilities on board, including food. My OH took a snorkelling excursion in the morning, showers in spare cabins were provided for the group. Your time for leaving was on a screen; ours was around 4pm, for an evening flight.

Most other ships want you off around 10am. It's just fly cruises which keep you on board, although I believe you can pay for extra time on some ships.

Think about paying for a day room in a hotel near the airport if you have an evening flight.

For me, so far... All my previous cruises and three of my four upcoming cruises depart within a 3 hour drive of my house. So I just drive home. Haha. For my first cruise that I actually have to travel to. I plan on spending a few days at the departure city sightseeing for a few days since it's some place I've never been before :)

If you cannot stay on the ship or do not want to book a hotel for a couple hours or do not want to do an excursion, you can always check your bags in early at the airport (i have done this before) and go be a tourist :)

of course you would have to keep any carry on luggage with you.

Im sure it would have been mentioned if there was bit isnt there any baggage storeage are in the cruise terminal?

Most cruise terminals on the exit side are pretty basic. No, there is no baggage storage. Besides, it is an exit. You wouldn't be able to get back in the entrance to get the stored baggage. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

• 8 months later...

We are flying home late Sunday night, and we have an airport transfer, so will our luggage will be picked up at our cabin and delivered to the airport or do we have to bring it with us? I'm a little confused about the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your luggage will be picked up and delivered to the baggage claim in the cruise terminal. Once you leave the ship and go into the cruise terminal, you will pick up you luggage, go through security, and take your bags to the airport transfer buses. The buses will immediately take you to the airport. Or you can carry you luggage off the ship yourself. Either way, you are taking your bags to the airport.

We are flying home late Sunday night, and we have an airport transfer, so will our luggage will be picked up at our cabin and delivered to the airport or do we have to bring it with us? I'm a little confused about the process.

More information needed, like cruise line, and any specific name for the transfer service.

For example, Royal Caribbean has a Luggage Valet service which will take your bags from outside your stateroom on the last night and arrange for them to be transported to the airport. The next time you see them (if all goes well) is at your destination airport. However, this is an extra cost service and can be purchased with or without cruise line transfers.

If you have an airport transfer with the cruise line you will place the luggage outside the room the night before you get off the ship and it will be on the pier when you get off the ship. You will collect it and go through immigration and if in the USA customs and then you will collect it when you get off the vehicle.

Please keep in mind that some airport do not allow you to check in luggage early. That varies by airport.

Questions.

What ship are you disembarking and at what port and what airport are you going to?

Keith

If you have an airport transfer with the cruise line you will place the luggage outside the room the night before you get off the ship and it will be on the pier when you get off the ship. You will collect it and go through immigration and if in the USA customs and then you will collect it when you get off the vehicle.

Please keep in mind that some airport do not allow you to check in luggage early. That varies by airport.

Questions.

What ship are you disembarking and at what port and what airport are you going to?

Keith

Royal Caribbean, Port Canaveral, Orlando. Flying home to Montreal at 10pm.

Consider the Kennedy Space Center VIP debarkation tour, PC01. 6 hour tour plus drops you off at airport, luggage goes with you on the bus. You will still have time to kill at the airport, but at least they say international flights must be 5 pm or later.

• 2 weeks later...
Royal Caribbean, Port Canaveral, Orlando. Flying home to Montreal at 10pm.

Orlando is one of those airports that won't let you check your luggage early - as we learned after we dropped off a friend after our cruise last week! They would not allow her to check her bag until 4 hours before her scheduled flight time. Her plan to check in just over 6 hours early and get an airline club day pass did not go so well.