Icy Stright Point Excursions

Rambler5678

If you are interested in whale watching here are two independent vendors that we have used multiple times: F.I.S.H.E.S and Glacier Wind Charters. Great experience and lots of good reviews on Trip Advisor.

Could not agree more about F.I.S.H.E.S !!! Captain Floyd and his wife Marjorie will treat you excellent. Value with them compared to a ships excursion is not even close. We are using them again and the most they take are 6 people so it is very good.

I'm another vote for whale watching and would highly recommend Glacier Wind Charters. Teresa and Shawn are the most lovely people and from pre-trip questions right through to post-trip, they are nothing but friendly, helpful and welcoming. I felt like old friends with them before I even met them!

From what I can tell, the other main thing that people do in Icy Strait Point (ISP) is whale watching.

With that said, since my son & I are taking 2 flight tours on our cruise, in ISP we are only going to look around the cannery, walk along the beach, walk the trail in the woods & possibly walk to Hoonah.

Edited by TheCalicoCat
typo

• 2 weeks later...
From what I can tell, the other main thing that people do in Icy Strait Point (ISP) is whale watching.

With that said, since my son & I are taking 2 flight tours on our cruise, in ISP we are only going to look around the cannery, walk along the beach, walk the trail in the woods & possibly walk to Hoonah.

I thought the trail in the woods behind the Cannery complex was a hidden gem. I really enjoyed the walk, it is short but trees are huge. It takes you to the rocky beach right next to the ship - nice photo op of the ship. What you have planned likely won't take the whole day, but will be relaxing, and you can head back to the ship early. Not a lot to do in Hoonah but the walk there is doable and pleasant with a nice view of the water the whole way. We also like to choose one stop to save some money and have a relaxing day without excursions.

We enjoyed both the forest tram with tribal dance excursion and the in Alaska Wildest Kitchen excursion.

We enjoyed trying the treats and learning native cooking in the kitchen excursion.

The forest tram and tribal dance were interesting and allowed for us to learn about the native culture.

See pictures of the excursions and ISP here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376089&page=10

• 4 months later...

We did the forest tram (no tribal dance) on August 8th. I consider it to have been a huge waste of money. The "tram" took us through the woods a little way where the guide told us all about the Devil's Club plant and named a few trees. We then drove along a trail between the forest and the beach. He told us a story about his tribe but for a lot of it he talked about his kids and grandchildren in Ottawa, and his upcoming 15 day Hawaiian Cruise.

I did the tram drive along the shore and the Tribal Dance performance shore excursion and enjoyed the entire experience. Yes, the drive must repeat the same path in both directions, but it offers more opportunity to see what one missed going in the other direction. I saw salmon jumping on the return trip that I did not see before! Our guide was entertaining and I enjoyed his commentary.

I admire the high school students who are so concerned about learning their heritage and sharing part of this knowledge with us tourists. Their performance added to my knowledge about different cultures and I appreciated that.

Spending some time in the old Salmon cannery Museum was interesting and made me wonder if my family many years ago consumed any of their product. My Mother made Salmon Patties from canned salmon and I also learned to enjoy cold canned salmon. Visiting the shops within the building was also interesting. Walking along the outside path along the water to return to the Amsterdam added to my enjoyment.

Before my visit, I did not think Icy Point Strait had much to offer of interest to me. I was wrong!

You had a better experience than us, maybe you had a different guide. I appreciate the tram must return by the same route but our guide identified a couple of trees and one plant. I expect more from something with 'forest' and 'nature' in the title. I wish we'd done a different tour whilst at Icy Strait Point.

I did the tram drive along the shore and the Tribal Dance performance shore excursion and enjoyed the entire experience. Yes, the drive must repeat the same path in both directions, but it offers more opportunity to see what one missed going in the other direction. I saw salmon jumping on the return trip that I did not see before! Our guide was entertaining and I enjoyed his commentary.

I admire the high school students who are so concerned about learning their heritage and sharing part of this knowledge with us tourists. Their performance added to my knowledge about different cultures and I appreciated that.

Spending some time in the old Salmon cannery Museum was interesting and made me wonder if my family many years ago consumed any of their product. My Mother made Salmon Patties from canned salmon and I also learned to enjoy cold canned salmon. Visiting the shops within the building was also interesting. Walking along the outside path along the water to return to the Amsterdam added to my enjoyment.

Before my visit, I did not think Icy Point Strait had much to offer of interest to me. I was wrong!

Your experience was similar to ours. We loved ISP!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were just there last week and rented an ATV through Hoonah Travel Adventures. It was self-guided, but it had a GPS with a pre-programmed route. We had a lot of fun going through the logging roads, and we saw a bear with two cubs! I'd recommend doing this tour first thing in the morning as we didn't seen anyone else around on the roads for most of the drive.