Boston - Freedom Trail

Tee & Chilli

Arriving on the Anthem on a Friday morning. I would like to start the Freedom Trail at the Boston Visitor Center. What are my inexpensive options for getting to the visitor center - public bus, uber?

Please provide directions.

Thanks

Arriving on the Anthem on a Friday morning. I would like to start the Freedom Trail at the Boston Visitor Center. What are my inexpensive options for getting to the visitor center - public bus, uber?

Please provide directions.

Thanks

You arrive at 9 am, so both Uber and public transit are an option. The Silver Line bus stops at either end of the terminal (http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/bus/routes/?route=SL2 - look at the interactive map tab). Fare is $2.75. You take the Silver Line to South Station where you have a free transfer. When you get off the bus you go to the right to the end of the platform to the Red Line direction Alewife. Take any train two stops to Park St and walk two blocks in the direction of the traffic. The visitor center is in the park opposite West St.

Let me put out there an option we did.

I went online and downloaded the Freedom Trail map and we took a cab to the end of the trail and worked backwards.

It was much easier to get transportation back to this ship .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Let me put out there an option we did.

I went online and downloaded the Freedom Trail map and we took a cab to the end of the trail and worked backwards.

It was much easier to get transportation back to this ship .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I agree with this as well and have recommended it on many occasions and have in fact done it myself on a Boston port day. There is nothing sacred about walking every step of the Freedom Trail - its just away someone came up with to organize the historical sites squirreled away in downtown Boston among the modern buildings so that tourists could follow a map and find them all.

What we did first was to take a cab to the Constitution in Charlestown for about $16.00 (Uber should be less). The museum opens at 9 am and the ship at 10:00. We then took the MBTA water taxi from the dock near the Constitution to Long Wharf ($3.50). This positions you to walk the North End to pick up the Freedom Trail back to Faneuil Hall, but we didn't do that and instead went directly to Faneuil Hall and then walked the Freedom Trail in reverse back to the Boston Common. The Park Street Red Line is right there to ride back to South Station to transfer to the Silver Line SL2 bus back to Black Falcon. IMO the walk between the North End and the Constitution is unappealing and you would see it all in a cab anyway.

I agree with this as well and have recommended it on many occasions and have in fact done it myself on a Boston port day. There is nothing sacred about walking every step of the Freedom Trail - its just away someone came up with to organize the historical sites squirreled away in downtown Boston among the modern buildings so that tourists could follow a map and find them all.

What we did first was to take a cab to the Constitution in Charlestown for about $16.00 (Uber should be less). The museum opens at 9 am and the ship at 10:00. We then took the MBTA water taxi from the dock near the Constitution to Long Wharf ($3.50). This positions you to walk the North End to pick up the Freedom Trail back to Faneuil Hall, but we didn't do that and instead went directly to Faneuil Hall and then walked the Freedom Trail in reverse back to the Boston Common. The Park Street Red Line is right there to ride back to South Station to transfer to the Silver Line SL2 bus back to Black Falcon. IMO the walk between the North End and the Constitution is unappealing and you would see it all in a cab anyway.

Carol, With this approach do you walk from long wharf to catch the trail & head south.

Please contrast this approach with using the Old town HOHO approach (or another approach)? Staying at Seaport hotel on a Saturday when we debark Veendam.

Carol, With this approach do you walk from long wharf to catch the trail & head south.

Please contrast this approach with using the Old town HOHO approach (or another approach)? Staying at Seaport hotel on a Saturday when we debark Veendam.

You would walk from Long Wharf through Christopher Columbus Park and head into the North End to see the Old North Church, Paul Revere House, or whatever. You pick up the Freedom Trail and walk it in reverse from the North End back to Boston Common.

Riding the Hoho trolley is completely different from walking the Freedom Trail. The HoHo covers much more area going out to Back Bay, Fenway Park, and Cambridge. It's a completely different experience. Because of the narrow and/or one way streets in some areas, the Hoho must stop on the edge of the area and you have to walk in to find the historical points of interest, many of which are not visible from the trolley.

Could you walk from the cruise port to Faneuil Hall? We love to walk and if its a mile or little more and nice weather its doable. Direction would help. Also we could also catch a cab. Cost? Can 4 adults share a cab? I am not a snob but because of a recent illness I can not be in crowded buses.

Could you walk from the cruise port to Faneuil Hall? We love to walk and if its a mile or little more and nice weather its doable. Direction would help. Also we could also catch a cab. Cost? Can 4 adults share a cab? I am not a snob but because of a recent illness I can not be in crowded buses.

It's about 2 miles between Black Falcon and Faneuil Hall. About 2/3 of the walk is through the waterfront area. IMO it doesn't really get interesting until you cross the Fort Point Channel into downtown Boston. At that point you have a choice of following the Harborwalk or walking along Atlantic Avenue along the Greenway. Look at the Boston - Harborwalk google map on http://walkboston.org/resources/maps

4 adults can share a cab and it would be under $15 including tip.

If you want to walk, I'd walk through the North End or walk the Freedom Trail from Faneuil Hall to the Boston Common.

It's about 2 miles between Black Falcon and Faneuil Hall.

If you want to walk, I'd walk through the North End or walk the Freedom Trail from Faneuil Hall to the Boston Common.

Thanks for this info very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Please consider taking the mbta water taxi from the Constitution to Long Wharf. This is a wonderful 15 minute "harbor cruise" that will give you great views of the upper harbor for cheap $$$. IMO the walk between the Constitution and the North End is unappealing and you will see it on your cab ride to the Constitution anyway.

You should be back at Long Wharf by noon, which gives you a chance to eat Italian food in the North End or grab lunch at Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market food court.

Would it be possible to take a taxi at the dock with a scooter in the trunk for a tour of the historic areas? Can anyone recommend anyone for a tour? I can't do all that walking even if DH can ride in his scooter.

Would it be possible to take a taxi at the dock with a scooter in the trunk for a tour of the historic areas? Can anyone recommend anyone for a tour? I can't do all that walking even if DH can ride in his scooter.

You should ask this question on the Disabled Cruising forum to get some explicit experience.

Here's some information about Boston. https://www.disabilityinfo.org/MNIP/DB/FSL/FactSheet.aspx?id=113

Taxi - Wheelchair Accessible Transportation Services

All taxicab drivers are required to accept any passenger who has a disability, including their service animal. Wheelchair accessible vehicles are available upon request at no additional charge.

Boston

All Boston taxi cabs with fifteen (15) or more cabs are required to have accessible vehicles 24 hours a day. There are 78 accessible cabs in Boston.

Boston Cab- has accessible wheelchair cabs available.

Phone: 617-536-5010 .

http://bostoncab.us/

Metro Cab - Metro Cab offers handicapped accessible vehicle transportation including wheelchair accessible vans.

Phone: 617-782-5500

http://boston-cab.com/

Top Cab and City Cab - offers Wheel chair accessible vans equipped with ramps.

Phone: l 617-536-5100

http://topcab.us/

Boston Police Department - Authorized Taxi Companies

http://bpdnews.com/authorized-taxi-companies/

*** Contact Hackney Division of the Boston Police Department at 617-343-4475 to file a complaint for accessible taxi service fill out complaint form at: http://bpdnews.com/taxi-complaint-and-lost-property-form

http://bpdnews.com/hackney-carriage-unit/

Have you considered the trolley tour or Duck Tour? For those with mobility issues it is probably best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...