TA 2016 Planning

TheOldBear

We're starting to plan our 2016 transatlantic - most likely flying east, a brief land tour then sailing back to NY. I know for some posters here this is routine, but this is both a first time TA and a 'bucket list'

At this point, I'm trying to establish a budget - what is a typical air fare for the eastbound flight [JFK to somewhere in the British Isles]??

This might be one of the usual one way carriers [Aer Lingus, Iceland Air] or a charter [Cunard Complete Air].

We are looking at some Britannia Balcony grade - and most likely post refit [late summer or fall].

I'm planning on selecting the dates and detail in January - once the vacation schedule opens up at work.

We might even consider a TA round trip - if the airfare + a couple of night + UK ground transport is close to the eastbound cruse fare, that might be more relaxing. [M612A ? The pair of TA's without Hamburg for a couple of days sightseeing?]

It's always fun to plan!

I am not familiar with sourcing the best airfares from the USA so I will leave that for others to comment on.

With regards to choosing a Britannia Balcony cabin post refit you will need to bear in mind that not all Britannia Balcony cabins are being refurbished during the 2016 refit. Check the following link to find out which cabins will be redone during the refit:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/latest_news/QM2_refurbished_16

Important information if you want a refurbished cabin.

I'd definitely consider a round trip, but only if it meant not missing out on things while in Europe.

At this stage, I'm just looking for typical air fares - not exact amounts. Just want to get a feel for how much of the budget will be the eastbound leg.

Then figure out what the budget is for the land portion of the trip [how many nights, ground transport, lodging.....]

I guess it's not surprising that this is within a few dollars of the Iceland Air one way fare [just tried a trial booking on their web site].

Either way, that's a number close enough for budget purposes. [now have to wait and see what Cunard's prices look in January]

I recently flew back to GLA from JFK on Icelandair.

We booked Saga Class (their version of Business Class).

Absolutely dreadful!

A one hour delay to start. Poor choice of food and drink on board, unless you like Icelandic stuff.

After the ludicrous safety film, that features a young swim suited lady strolling along beside rock pools, with a cartoon of an aeroplane drawn around her from time to time, the monitor conked out. About half the front section went out and couldn't be repaired.

At Reykjavik where we had to change planes, we had to stand on a bus for 35 minutes with all three doors open as the wind and rain lashed in.

On the second plane, the monitors did work. The in-flight entertainment was a couple of Icelandic films, or a few Icelandic obscure TV programmes, or Icelandic folk music, or Icelandic classical music (I never knew there was such a thing). There might have been one or two more Icelandic things. Woeful!

Would I fly with them again? Definitely not.

Saga Class was a complete waste of money.

Stewart

We'll make the decision in January, but for now our baseline is a roundtrip from NY [612A, NY-Halifax-Southampton-NY].

Another possibility is splitting the two legs of 610B - and doing a short land tour while the ship sails to Hamburg and back.

Fares will depend heavily on when you choose to travel, both for air and for the ship. We just returned from the 5 November westbound TA, and paid $468 Newark to Brussels on United, and $50 on Eurostar from Brussels to London. For the flight we used Cunard Choice Air, which is usually unbeatable for one-way fares, and we bought the Eurostar tickets (senior rates) months in advance from Eurostar's website. Our BY aft sheltered balcony was down to $799 shortly before leaving; we paid $1049 but had substantial OBC which brought the price down to the low $800s.

We have flown Icelandic in coach (to a Crystal cruise) and were very satisfied, having understood at the outset that food on board needs to be purchased. We like the relatively short flight to Reykjavik from EWR and the ability to buy an inexpensive cold breakfast (smoked salmon!) during the layover before boarding a Reykjavik to London flight. On the flight back, we were fascinated by the simulation of the Northern Lights within the cabin.

I recently flew back to GLA from JFK on Icelandair.

We booked Saga Class (their version of Business Class).

Absolutely dreadful!

A one hour delay to start. Poor choice of food and drink on board, unless you like Icelandic stuff.

After the ludicrous safety film, that features a young swim suited lady strolling along beside rock pools, with a cartoon of an aeroplane drawn around her from time to time, the monitor conked out. About half the front section went out and couldn't be repaired.

At Reykjavik where we had to change planes, we had to stand on a bus for 35 minutes with all three doors open as the wind and rain lashed in.

On the second plane, the monitors did work. The in-flight entertainment was a couple of Icelandic films, or a few Icelandic obscure TV programmes, or Icelandic folk music, or Icelandic classical music (I never knew there was such a thing). There might have been one or two more Icelandic things. Woeful!

Would I fly with them again? Definitely not.

Saga Class was a complete waste of money.

Stewart

I have considered Iceland Air for a one way return London to Toronto. The fare for Saga Class was the same as for Air Transat, so we opted for the latter as usual as the flights are non-stop.

Iceland Air promises larger seats with more leg room in Saga Class and also Champagne. Did they provide that? Other than the inconvenience of changing planes, which was obviously not handled well, there are some aspects of your comments which appeal to me. The Icelandic food sounds interesting and I would certainly try that with an open mind. Surely it can't be any worse than the barely edible offerings we have had in Air Transat's Club Class. As for the entertainment, it sounds better than what we usually experience on planes (dumb American television shows and movies.) It would be interesting to experience the Icelandic music. Normally on aeroplanes all we get is one hour of classical music and the rest is the usual pop/rock and other stuff which is rubbish to my ears.

If they could eliminate the inconvenience of changing planes I would give them a try. As long as their fleet is 757s a stop will be necessary:(.

IMO: Balconies and windows are overrated ;) Save money with a perfectly adequate inside cabin and see the ocean from public spaces. There will be plenty of opportunities since you will be surrounded by ocean during your entire voyage.

If you have the time and have latitude when picking your travel dates, consider sailing one direction on a repositioning cruise ship and the QM2 in the other direction. IMO: airplanes are overrated, too. Re-positioning cruise ships can be bargain transportation and a lovely way to travel. It does take "time" though...

We have taken the QM2 in both directions, but that was several years ago, when there was an interval in-between the east and west crossings. Now, many back-to-back crossings seem to allow no time in England with arrival and departure on the same day. England is too beautiful to not enjoy for a while, before returning to the USA. A wonderful country populated by very nice people. It would be a shame not to spend some time there.

I have heard that air fare from Ireland is less expensive than from London (if you must fly). It is easy to train to Wales and ferry to Ireland, but the expense of that extra travel might eat up any savings… Play around on one of those travel websites to compare fares from different locations. Friends from Scotland flew Glasgow to Newark, NJ--that's under $600 right now...

In any event, look forward to a memorable experience. Planning is a wonderful part of traveling...

She Who Must be Obeyed [my wife ;-) ] says that a balcony is preferred - even if the view is mostly Orange.

So we are planning on a balcony.

For some people, especially those who prop the door open for night air, I understand a balcony can be essential. I bow to that and all men who love their wives with actions as well as words. Mrs. "Old Bear" has a wonderful traveling companion in you.

For the NYC area, look at La Compagnie (https://www.lacompagnie.com/en), which is an all business class airline with very limited service. They fly Newark to London-Luton Airport and sometimes run specials that are on the order of about US$600 one way. That is a pretty good price for a lie-flat seat.

We've just booked returns in December for £1700 for 2 to pick up QM2 for Christmas /NY in Caribbean so I'll post a report on what the flights are like. My understanding us they aren't completely lie flat (as you get in carriers like emirates) but for the price when we couldn't get economy for that with only 6 weeks to travel was too good to miss.

I believe the inside cabins are almost identical to out side I like a balcony, I'm a Mrs😉 Just like to be able to get fresh air when needed! Can get a bit claustrophobic. On QM have had sheltered and like them, some don't as you can't see out when sitting on balcony. But I don't choose it for the sitting out.

I believe the inside cabins are almost identical to out side I like a balcony, I'm a Mrs😉 Just like to be able to get fresh air when needed! Can get a bit claustrophobic. On QM have had sheltered and like them, some don't as you can't see out when sitting on balcony. But I don't choose it for the sitting out.

Balcony cabins have a sofa--inside cabins do not. So, there is a bit more room in a balcony cabin.

From what I read on the CC board, sheltered balconies are popular with many passengers..

For the NYC area, look at La Compagnie (https://www.lacompagnie.com/en), which is an all business class airline with very limited service. They fly Newark to London-Luton Airport and sometimes run specials that are on the order of about US$600 one way. That is a pretty good price for a lie-flat seat.

Be careful with this airline as they've not had the best track run to date. Something about flights being cancelled or re-routed due to not having enough planes to maintain the desired schedule.

There's quite a bit about this on airline forums.

We just returned by TA after spending time in Europe and the Med.

We went from JFK to Dublin on Aer Lingus business class, one way $6,600. for the two of us.

For 2016 we have decided to not take any TA flights. We can go by ship for less, and be much more comfortable.

Edited by SPacificbound

Be careful with this airline as they've not had the best track run to date. Something about flights being cancelled or re-routed due to not having enough planes to maintain the desired schedule.

There's quite a bit about this on airline forums.

I read a lot on airline forums before we booked. All the problems seem to be when they first started in May and they did put people onto other airlines. I've looked at recent punctuality and there seem to be no major issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Waking this thread up - we are looking at making the round trip on QM2 [no air] with three options

• July Basic roundtrip [M612A]
  • July with layover [M610A & M611B]
  • Sept with layover [M617 & M619]

If you were doing the four day layover, would you prefer July or September?

What are some "don't miss" things to put on a 4 day layover itinerary? [other than not missing the ship for the return crossing ;) ]

[looks like I need to update my sig]

Waking this thread up - we are looking at making the round trip on QM2 [no air] with three options

• July Basic roundtrip [M612A]
  • July with layover [M610A & M611B]
  • Sept with layover [M617 & M619]

If you were doing the four day layover, would you prefer July or September?

What are some "don't miss" things to put on a 4 day layover itinerary? [other than not missing the ship for the return crossing ;) ]

[looks like I need to update my sig]

Hi TheOldBear,

Good to see another of your posts.

I suggest you store one of your suitcases with Cunard in Southampton, while you have your four-day sojourn. It's about $60 per bag and they pick-up on the last night before arrival in England, then return the bag to your cabin on the afternoon you re-board for sailing west.

DH and I stuffed our formal attire into one large suitcase to store and found two smaller bags made travel during an interlude between QM2 crossings (in 2012) so much easier. Whether on trains or climbing to the second story of a B & B, downsizing to a smaller suitcase will make your life easier.

Two of our favorite places in southern England were the Cotswolds and Cambridge. I would recommend either location for part of your four-day adventure.

The Cotswolds have wonderful B&Bs and opportunity to walk in the English countryside, if that appeals to you.

If you go to Cambridge, look at the King's College website ---you can arrange to stay in King's College, while the students are on holiday. We enjoyed that tremendously, as well as seeing the church Henry the 8th had built and (most of all) punting on the Cam. There are tour-guide punters, who fill you in on historic particulars (Self-punting is another option, but it is a practiced skill and for the young).

Cambridge is very walkable and interesting and charming, historic, some nice shops (for Mrs.OldBear), restaurants… A wonderful place to spend a day.

Then, of course, you ought to go to London. So many (free) museums and places of interest!

Our favorite activity, though, was taking the riverboat from near Parliament (the dock across from the Eye, the huge ferris wheel) to Greenwich. It isn't a tour, but it gave us more of an understanding of London's geography than the hop-on/hop-off bus (which we didn't enjoy). You pass Tate Modern, see the Tower of London, the Gerkin (building) all from comfortable (and inexpensive) seating. Plus, we found Greenwich interesting (Maritime Museum--free--and the observatory---plus being at Zero-zero-zero-zero was kind of fun). Then, the Tube back to central London was relatively quick--and, most important, easy to figure out.

You can arrange theater tickets in London via the internet, picking the tickets up at the theater. We've done this twice and were very pleased to have evening plans without any last-minute bother. We took the Tube to performances. Amazing how quickly you can scoot around huge London, as long as it's not the height of rush hour.

Taking the train back to Southampton is not difficult. Look at Mega-train for cheapest fares (in 2012 DH and I rode one-way for a total of about 21 pounds)…. You have to book with Mega-train way in advance, but it is certainly budget friendly. The train from London to Southampton is about an hour and a half or two hours (depending if you book a commuter with more stops).

England is beautiful! Anything you do with your four-days will be satisfying and memorable.

Jimmybean