Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

Maybe they are sold out for the cruises you are interested in ? They don't show on the initial page but if you select 1 guest as you go through the booking process it will show you prices & availability.

There are definitely some available on the 4 night trip on November 1st.

Does anyone know? I just learned about the single cabins being added on decks 2 & 3. I went to the website to learn about booking one and they do not appear on any of the cruises scheduled after the retrofit. Does this mean that they will not be completed until later in 2016 or 2017. Why would Cunard announce these cabins long before they might be available? I find this a bit irritating. The website says that there will be more info on Dec. 1st. Maybe we'll know then.

Rick

I just randomly chose the 09AUG16 TA sailing and the KB and KC single outside cabins do appear on their website with availability.

Karin

True! And even then it has so many limitations because of the required access to stairways and boat deck.

I don't know how much use the atrium elevators get, but removing them would stop people from arriving in the middle of KC instead of entering from the ends. If possible, they should keep those elevators working between the atrium levels as a convenience for people who can't take the stairs. But don't let them operate up to deck 7 any more.

I think this is just how it will be rebuilt...the only place on deck 7 to place a long buffet serving station is from the current location thru that seating area and past the atrium elevators..I will really miss taking them up from the grand lobby to deck 7..its a nice view ..and another part of the original QM2 that I will really miss if this is how it is done

Maybe they are sold out for the cruises you are interested in ? They don't show on the initial page but if you select 1 guest as you go through the booking process it will show you prices & availability.

There are definitely some available on the 4 night trip on November 1st.

Thanks Hattie. I did not specify 1 guest so they didn't show. Pretty stupid of me, isn't it?

Thanks. Rick

I was on the Oct 22 TA and had the pleasure to meet The executive chef Klaus. I asked him if he new what they were doing with KC and he told me it was being gutted and being remodeled based on the lido restaurant on P & O Brittania. I dont know whether or that meets most of your approval, but that's what the man said. I would think he would be more in the know then most.

I was on the Oct 22 TA and had the pleasure to meet The executive chef Klaus. I asked him if he new what they were doing with KC and he told me it was being gutted and being remodeled based on the lido restaurant on P & O Brittania. I dont know whether or that meets most of your approval, but that's what the man said. I would think he would be more in the know then most.

Thank you, tourlink99, for sharing this information. (I wonder what the P&O Lido is like)

It's called the Horizon restaurant and I found the following photos in Google Images:

Horizon_Restaurant.jpg

and:

https://tomtotley.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/britannia_horizon__mg_0760.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop=1

Ray66, you are the best! Very attractive! (Hopefully would also address flow issues). Thank you for finding and sharing this photo : )

It does look good. Our focus group saw the proposed serving area but didn't see details for the seating area.

Just about anything would be an improvement. The first meal most new passengers have on the ship is embarkation day lunch. And the old Kings Court had the ambiance of a crew mess. Not a good way to start one's voyage on the flagship of the fleet.

The pictures do look nice but I will miss the "character" of the old Kings Court. It is my favourite/least favourite part of the QM2 (if that makes any sense).

I always enjoyed the small King's Court section on the port side versus the larger section just forward of it. I found the smaller section nice and bright while the larger section was a bit dark. I hope this smaller section is not re-purposed into something else. I imagine it has to stay because it provides access to the "D" elevators/lifts. Time will tell!

Now the question I have is how will they keep those lighter coloured carpets and chairs clean? I know they must have thought about it when doing the "remastering" so perhaps they can easily be wiped clean? Some people are not the most gracious eaters. At present the darker carpets must hide a lot of spillage.

Interesting: from the renderings there are no glass elevators popping up into the middle of the King's Court. I understand it provides more room but they were a handy short cut that I always used--and probably me alone because I never really saw that many people go from Deck 2/3 up to Deck 7.

I imagine that the next revealing will be the Grand Lobby?

Or will it be the Britannia Restaurant?

-----------------

About Kings Court:

A variety of cuisine will be available from Italian, Indian, Pan Asian and Tex Mex menus on a rotating basis.

Improved presentation using modern and flexible service counters with feature cooking demonstrations.

Well it seems the new serving station is a combined area of the 2 forward sections with the glass elevators removed along with all the seating that was crammed into the small pass thru between them..looks fine thou will it work better? The Seating areas are of course redone decor wise though if you look there is no change in the floor plans..the sections seem the same ,thou the fly thru gives an illusion of greater space..Now what is going to happen to the aft areas of the buffet where La Piazza and the old chefs galley are? The fly thru never entered that section..I will miss the glass elevators very much as I enjoyed the ride up thru the lobby to deck 7

The new Kings Court looks great and it does appear that the glass elevators have been removed to make space. This has been speculated all along. This likely means a remastered Atrium Lobby as well with more space. I guess we won't see revised deck plans until after the last reveal.

We all knew the Kings Count would be one of the reveals, so now the big question is what will be the last one?

G32?

Atrium Lobby?

Canyon Ranch Spa?

While I think all those areas will receive a refreshing in refit, they probably won't fundamentally change. My money is on Todd English. I'm guessing it will become a Verandah Restaurant with a new menu and completely new decor and revamped layout. I'm hoping in the process there will be a new casual Lido Bar on one side that people can feel comfortable walking through in bathing attire to get to the pool. On the other half and somewhat closed off, a new formal Verandah Restaurant. Perhaps at the night the Lido Bar could become a more formal pre-dinner cocktail bar for the Verandah Restaurant.

That is my wish anyway!

I sure hope they do not touch the grand lobby..There is nothing wrong with it..love the decor. I think the elevators will stay between decks 2 and 3 and they will cover up lift shaft with some art cover as on QV-QE lobby..I think the last preview will be a new Verandah Grill to replace Todd English and redo that bad layout thru the restaurant to the pool on deck 8

Yes the Todd English is to become the 'Verandah' and something is going to be done with that port side area, where folks keep walking through.

I was able to have a sneek preview of all the artist impressions a few months ago in July & October. Everything about this new refit will look far better than what we have now. I can't understand some of the negative comments that are posted on some other forums...." oh I don't like this colour or that colour ..."Oh I shall really miss such and such"

Anything in this major refit is an improvement on what we have now. ;)

Anything in this major refit is an improvement on what we have now. ;)

I would agree with the exception of the single cabins. They look awesome but I'm never a fan of existing public space being turned over to cabins. In this case I can live with it since it's fairly unobtrusive. Nothing like other projects where Carnival Shipbuilding is involved where the ship's overall aesthetics have been desecrated. Thank god they didn't do that to my favorite ship!

Everything else looks to be a major improvement and I'm loving what I see. If anything QM2 is going to be even more elegant and in the process more functional as well. A win win for everyone!

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/remastered/remastered-britannia-staterooms-qm2/

Half of Britannia Balcony staterooms to be refurbished during dry-dock refit

All Britannia staterooms refurbished over 2016 and 2017.

Its so annoying that in Germany you always get redirected to the German website which still has no information at all about the QM2 refit. There is NO chance to access the UK or US website from Germany, and Cunards helpdesk doesn´t help.