Queen Mary 2 December New York for the day before flight 7.30pm

Darcie2

Hi all we doing the December transatlantic and have a flight at 7.30 that evening any suggestions of tours etc do Cunard do one and is it any good !! Thanks
Hi Darcie2,

Yes, Cunard do coach tours of Manhattan for those on evening flights back to the UK; indeed I've been on a few such tours over the years (first 2006, latest 2014).

On a tour like this you'll typically get around 1 hour to 90 minutes (once it was 2 hours) free time away from the coach for lunch or a little sightseeing (your luggage stays on board, and there is a pre-arranged place and time to meet up).

Usual places to be dropped off have been Times Square, Macy's, Rockefeller Centre and once it was at the World Financial Centre in Lower Manhattan. The tour coaches like to drop passengers at the airport terminals early (with a long wait before the flight).

A couple of minus points to these tours is that you may spend a lot of time in traffic while crisscrossing Manhattan, and if you already know the tourist attractions... well you'll see them again from the slowly moving coach.

The guides on the coach vary in my opinion. One I had early on seemed to know zero about landmarks and the important buildings we passed, but knew which tv z-list "celebrities" (the names meant nothing to me) lived in which towering block as we drove slowly by, and how much such-and-such apartment last sold for. One excellent guide was able to answer all the questions asked of him, with amazing background knowledge, he really "knew his stuff". Another was incredibly funny, had us all laughing (I'm sure he did "stand-up" when he wasn't showing people around Manhattan).

(On one occasion my coach was very late leaving the ship as two passengers (who had booked the tour) clearly decided to "do their own thing" but neglected to tell anyone of their change of plan. So we waited and waited whilst checks were made on board and in the terminal (rather than leave without them). Therefore our time available for lunch and sightseeing was very short indeed, we still had to get to the airport on time for check-in (I'd like to thank that selfish couple for their self-centred thoughtlessness, many people on my coach hadn't been to New York before and had plans for their brief time in the city, which had to be cancelled of course)).

However, friends of mine (with a later flight) a few years ago were taken to a central hotel by Cunard coach where there was a secure room for luggage. They then had several hours free time in New York before a different coach took them to the airport (still arrived in plenty of time to check-in of course).

I hope this helps you.

Edited by pepperrn

In May this year we did a westbound TA with return flights from JFK departing at 18:35.

Our coach trip took us to the 911 Memorial - we were there of about half an hour - then we were dropped near to Macys for just over an hour before heading off to the airport we got there about 3 hours before the flight.

The coach was dropping off at a couple of terminals at JFK.

Make sure that you are clear which airport and which terminal you need. Thinking 'Flying to Heathrow' (or wherever) or 'Flying from Newark' won't be enough as there are always a number of coaches going in different directions.

You are always 'hostage' to the timeliness of other people...

Is this only for people booked on flight inclusive. We have a late (10pm) flight from newark and are wondering g what to do in January after the Christmas caribbean voyage.
Hit the sales all along the 5th Avenue shops?

Maybe shopping in the morning and then a great lunch somewhere?

Top of the Rock in the afternoon? (wrap up warm!)

How about visiting a world-class museum or art gallery?

As you'll be up very early do doubt, shopping, lunch and then book a hotel room for a few hours sleep before heading for the airport (no-one will notice/bother if you don't stay overnight)

Skating outdoors in the winter snow (several venues I'm sure)?

One the world's greatest cities, a million things to do! (Most of which wouldn't even occur to me, but I bet someone here will think of them!)

Let us know what you end up doing, thanks :)

Edited by pepperrn

Is this only for people booked on flight inclusive. We have a late (10pm) flight from newark and are wondering g what to do in January after the Christmas caribbean voyage.

Yes Apparently It was Flight Inclusive from Newark. You just never know what you are going to get untill you are about to leave the ship.

Edited by Pennbank

Hit the sales all along the 5th Avenue shops?

Maybe shopping in the morning and then a great lunch somewhere?

Top of the Rock in the afternoon? (wrap up warm!)

How about visiting a world-class museum or art gallery?

As you'll be up very early do doubt, shopping, lunch and then book a hotel room for a few hours sleep before heading for the airport (no-one will notice/bother if you don't stay overnight)

Skating outdoors in the winter snow (several venues I'm sure)?

One the world's greatest cities, a million things to do! (Most of which wouldn't even occur to me, but I bet someone here will think of them!)

Let us know what you end up doing, thanks :)

It will be my 9th trip to NY and our 3rd in 18 months so we've pretty much done all the must sees. We're also having 2 days before we join the ship so will do iceskating at Rockefeller Centre and Radio City Christmas spectacular then. Am more interested in transport to airport and storage of luggage (we will have about 18 bags - mixture of hold and hand luggage - between 6 of us).

It will be my 9th trip to NY and our 3rd in 18 months so we've pretty much done all the must sees. We're also having 2 days before we join the ship so will do iceskating at Rockefeller Centre and Radio City Christmas spectacular then. Am more interested in transport to airport and storage of luggage (we will have about 18 bags - mixture of hold and hand luggage - between 6 of us).
Sorry, I must have misread your question above.

See my post (number 2 above) regarding secure storage of luggage on the airport transfer coach, whilst you have some free time in Manhattan (I do know what you mean, I've also done many of the tourist sights... still, big city, lots still to see :) )

Best wishes to you :)