What does one use to distinguish one's bags??

Tampa Girl

I've seen highly distinctive/brightly coloured straps (not just one strap, but a pair usually, in clashing/contrasting colours)

Also seen one case that had been imaginatively hand painted with diamond patterns (so eye-catching the case could probably have been seen from space)

One case had a very large poster stuck onto it with a sunset scene (again, hard to miss).

Always have one's full contact details both inside and outside (somewhere visible) of the case/bag.

We also select a unique style and color . Then tag the handles (both) with two colored ribbons . By the time we go to replace the luggage ( about 5 cruises later) our original color and style is the norm.

We now always look for a solid light weight polycarbonite case (5lbs for carry on) in a unique style or color.

While I don't necessarily embelish my bags, I always carry a photo of it on my phone to make it easier for anyone helping to find it and to remind me in my panic of what it looks like. So much easier than having to describe it to a stranger.

It seems too obvious to say but as a regular traveller I always check the label before walking off whether in a cruise port or at an airport carousel just to be fully certain it is mine.

It's been mentioned already but I place a business card inside with my name and phone number etc after packing as a further precaution in case it goes walkabout without me.

M-AR

I have purchased on ebay some personalized auto stickers that are about 8 inches tall. Fastened to both front and back they are visible and easily identified.

Ribbons can be an issue...if they fall off or get caught in the moving band of the carousel. The best thing to do is get a fabric paint marker and stencil or paint your luggage.

We have personalised big yellow straps that go around each case with our family name on, we also have personalised name tags with a photo of us on a formal night with our contact number printed on. A novel idea that I organised as a stocking filler at Christmas but makes it v personal to us and worthless to anyone else.

We bought new luggage for a cruise a couple of years ago, Pretty ugly animal print easy to spot and surely no one else would buy it as its so ugly and bold.

Would you believe while in the queue to check in for our flight out of Melbourne the person behind us in the queue had exactly the same suitcase.

Had a wheel broken and case cracked around the base by the crew when offloading at venice from the legend of the seas. It was in fine condition when put outside our door on the last night.

The other case had a wheel broken off thanks to Malaysian airlines on arrival back into Melbourne. Not the greatest suitcases but they sure are easy to spot.

Go to a hardware store or notions store and buy a roll of colorful wide duct tape. Put a pattern or your initials on your pieces ... tape is easy to remove and won't harm canvas. Colorful luggage tags can't hurt, an iPhone photo sounds a great idea. By all means do a This Bag Belongs To sheet inside each piece of luggage with personal information, trip plans, destination addresses. One trip to London I had a new red rolling piece of Samsonite. Along the Heathrow carousel came one red piece in a sea of black canvas. Took it, didn't think to check numbers until at Heathrow Express. OOPS! Rushed back, they already knew I'd taken wrong bag (of the only two red bags on the flight), had opened mine not claimed, found the information sheet and phoned hotel to expect me arriving with a wrong bag, to contact them immediately. All ended well. Whew!

I have just come back from the sales where I have purchased a set of luggage in purple and black check. It sounds awful but looks lovely. Hopefully this will be rare enough that I can spot it and no one else will have it.

Just on the off chance that someone else has bought the same, thinking it is unique (like the lady earlier with the red suitcase - well done for returning it!), I will add ribbon to the handles. Ribbon has worked well for years on my boring black suitcase.

I paint a two colour logo on our bags. After many experiments I've found taht artist oil paint is the best for longevity - as long as you allow plentry of time (a couple of weeks or more) for it to dry properly.

I use yellow and red on black bags, and green and yellow on our red bags.