Changing Sail Date

Hi everyone..I have a quick question that Im hoping someone knows the answer to. I have tried googling and searching FAQ on Carnival.com and cannot find a definitive answer.

Do you all know if Carnival will allow you to change your sail date without a penalty? We do not want to cancel the cruise, just basically switch it over to a different date which is exactly 1 week later. We have already paid for our cruise in full (sail date is 8/21) and we just found out that some friends of ours have booked a carnival cruise for exactly 1 week after ours. We would love to switch ours so that we can go with our friends.

Thanks in advance!

It depends. This would be a cancellation and new booking.

If you booked ES rate, no changes are permitted without penalty.

If you did not book ES rate, and you are outside of the penalty period (which you are), then you can cancel and rebook with no issues. You will however, be subject to current pricing.

We changed last month. One person said its be $50 pp fee, another said it'd they'd waive it bc we upgraded to a longer cruise. It was a battle but they waived it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

We've had a situation come up where we need to change ours by almost 2 years. Currently waiting to see if they will waive the $50pp change fee. Main problem is that there are no bookings available for summer of 2019 out of Galveston yet. We may just be out of luck on this one.

No, they won't allow this....earlier this year we were booked on the Dream out of NOLA, my doctors orders were I could fly but only sit for an hour on the plane due to herniated discs and two could rupture if I sit longer than an hour....I live in Florida explained to Carnival my situation offered them doctors notes by both primary, neurologist and orthopedic and they refused to help me in changing ships. They told me I would have to cancel which meant paying penalty as it was within 10 weeks of the sailing date, we had my father in law coming along with us so it meant taking penalties for two rooms as we paid for his cruise. Carnival did not help us in a medical situation, therefore, I happened to take Carnivals insurance which I may add was simple and fast, and received full refund within 16 days of completing the paperwork.

I was very annoyed at Carnival for not helping me, but realize they have their rules, so I simply went away from Carnival (that cruise would of been my 70th cruise so I am an avid cruiser and taken many Carnival cruises but yes, have cruised other cruise lines) and said if they were unable to help me, I just give my business somewhere else and booked up RC Harmony of the Seas....we been on her sister ship the Allure and I must say, these are my most favorite ships out of them all, so much, that I booked up the Oasis for this October....Carnival has lost my business at least for awhile, but in reality, they did me a blessing because no Carnival ship beats any of the RC Oasis class ships, so I thank Carnival for not helping me when I needed help.

I think now it's just a general discussion on changing bookings. I jumped in to see what other people's experience was on this type of thing.

For us, final payment has not occurred, so if we have to cancel & re-book later, we are only out the $50pp and the rest of the deposit is in form of FCC. What we are trying for is the ability to push out the cruise for medical reasons and get the $50pp fee waived. Of course, CCL is not obligated to do so, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If they had bookings available for the time we need to sail, we would gladly move immediately to a different sailing. As to why we don't just wait until those bookings are available, I don't want to make final payment on the one we can't make and that will happen before those future sail dates are available to book.

And no, we don't have the insurance and at this point, the insurance is more than the $50 change fee.

I think now it's just a general discussion on changing bookings. I jumped in to see what other people's experience was on this type of thing.

For us, final payment has not occurred, so if we have to cancel & re-book later, we are only out the $50pp and the rest of the deposit is in form of FCC. What we are trying for is the ability to push out the cruise for medical reasons and get the $50pp fee waived. Of course, CCL is not obligated to do so, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If they had bookings available for the time we need to sail, we would gladly move immediately to a different sailing. As to why we don't just wait until those bookings are available, I don't want to make final payment on the one we can't make and that will happen before those future sail dates are available to book.

And no, we don't have the insurance and at this point, the insurance is more than the $50 change fee.

While insurance may be more than the change fee, you really should consider protecting yourself and your investment. You can still get preexisting conditions covered with Nationwide Choice Cruise. They would reimburse your change fees and also give you coverage for medical and other things. If you’re having health concerns pre cruise, why wouldn’t you get insurance?

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand these types of posts. People know the rules when they book and then when things happen, they want Carnival to break the rules because they have a “unique” set of circumstances. Well, everyone who isn’t able to cruise as planned does. If they start waiving it, then why have it even be a term and condition of ES? I’m not picking on you, just making a general statement. If you aren’t concerned enough with protecting yourself, why should Carnival care? Get insurance and rest easy.

I've looked at Nationwide and have kept it in mind. Our credit card gives some coverage for health, but I don't know that it will cover everyone, since it's an adult child, not us or a dependent that is causing the postponement. I haven't spoken to them yet. It's just hard to justify spending $65 or more per person prior to final payment when the penalty is only $50 per person. The rest of the deposit becomes a future cruise credit. Now, if we were at final payment date already, that would have been a different story.

Anyway, since we knew we still wanted to take the family trip, we wanted to know if we could just change the sail date and not incur the penalty. So we shall see what happens. Worst case, we are out the $50 per person.

With that all being said, if you have insurance & move the sail date, does anyone know if the insurance would remain in effect for the new sail date or do you have to re-purchase a policy?

With that all being said, if you have insurance & move the sail date, does anyone know if the insurance would remain in effect for the new sail date or do you have to re-purchase a policy?

You can call and have the effective dates of the policy changed. You don't have to purchase a new policy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums