Carnival says that I am a fraudster, and refuses to let me pay for my cruise????

dsykes2

So annoyed, never had anything like this happen. I booked a cruise back in July (12/10) on the Dream, paid my deposit for a spa balcony room, and went on my way. I decided to shop around online for carnival gift cards, as I know sometimes you can get them at a discounted rate, I found a website (reputable it seemed called card cash) where you could purchase gift cards at 10% off face value. I purchased enough to cover the entire balance of the cruise, added them to my account, cruise was paid for, before the end of July.

Just so happens, I checked online to see how many days until the cruise, and my cruise manager stated i owe over $1500, WHAT!? of course I call Carnival, in a panic to find out what happened (it was late night) the nice lady said I will need to call back during the day and speak to accounting to find out what happened, because all she can see is that the cards were "reversed". I call accounting the next morning, and speak to them, they state there is a scam going where basically someone uses compromised credit card information to buy gift cards, sells them to gift card brokers, the card holder sees charges, disputes charges, then the company removes the funds from the gift card, leaving the person who purchased the gift card out of luck.

Ok, fine, dandy, the website I purchased the cards from acknowledged the issue, promptly refunded me to my credit card I used to purchase the cards, all was fine and well, and I started making payments directly with my AMEX to Carnival (was making payments every few days as final payment is due on 9/26). Well, today I login to make a payment and I get an error stating that the company refuses my payment, so I called into Carnival, speak to a lady who states, no problem, she can take my payment, however she gets the same error. I was placed on hold for over 20 minutes as she called someone else, who advised that I am a fraudulent customer, because I used fraudulent gift cards, and the only way I can now make payments is if I send a "credit authorization form" via email EVERY time I make any type of payment.

I do not feel comfortable sending my credit card info via email, especially when I am splitting up payments, I had made a few payments after the gift card fiasco was resolved, has this ever happened to anyone else?? Customer service states there is nothing they can do, I am honestly tempted to request to have the booking cancelled due to Carnival refusing to let me pay for it (dare they say I will be penalized) and rebooking it (as the lady said this freeze was tied to my booking number) I asked if I could get a new booking number, I was advised no.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? As stated I do not feel like having my credit card number going over email multiple times.

So annoyed, never had anything like this happen. I booked a cruise back in July (12/10) on the Dream, paid my deposit for a spa balcony room, and went on my way. I decided to shop around online for carnival gift cards, as I know sometimes you can get them at a discounted rate, I found a website (reputable it seemed called card cash) where you could purchase gift cards at 10% off face value. I purchased enough to cover the entire balance of the cruise, added them to my account, cruise was paid for, before the end of July.

Just so happens, I checked online to see how many days until the cruise, and my cruise manager stated i owe over $1500, WHAT!? of course I call Carnival, in a panic to find out what happened (it was late night) the nice lady said I will need to call back during the day and speak to accounting to find out what happened, because all she can see is that the cards were "reversed". I call accounting the next morning, and speak to them, they state there is a scam going where basically someone uses compromised credit card information to buy gift cards, sells them to gift card brokers, the card holder sees charges, disputes charges, then the company removes the funds from the gift card, leaving the person who purchased the gift card out of luck.

Ok, fine, dandy, the website I purchased the cards from acknowledged the issue, promptly refunded me to my credit card I used to purchase the cards, all was fine and well, and I started making payments directly with my AMEX to Carnival (was making payments every few days as final payment is due on 9/26). Well, today I login to make a payment and I get an error stating that the company refuses my payment, so I called into Carnival, speak to a lady who states, no problem, she can take my payment, however she gets the same error. I was placed on hold for over 20 minutes as she called someone else, who advised that I am a fraudulent customer, because I used fraudulent gift cards, and the only way I can now make payments is if I send a "credit authorization form" via email EVERY time I make any type of payment.

I do not feel comfortable sending my credit card info via email, especially when I am splitting up payments, I had made a few payments after the gift card fiasco was resolved, has this ever happened to anyone else?? Customer service states there is nothing they can do, I am honestly tempted to request to have the booking cancelled due to Carnival refusing to let me pay for it (dare they say I will be penalized) and rebooking it (as the lady said this freeze was tied to my booking number) I asked if I could get a new booking number, I was advised no.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? As stated I do not feel like having my credit card number going over email multiple times.

Did you try using PayPal online?

from what the customer service rep told me, it is something tied to the booking number. She suggested trying to get a new booking number, but whoever she reached out to refused that. She was very puzzled as to why it won't let me make credit card payments (as of course deposit nor any of the recent payments I made had any issue).

Spoke to a manager will not allow me to pay any other way than sending this form via email with my credit card information, states penalty will apply if I cancel, but this is due to my "protection" but you want me to send my credit card via email......

Could you purchase a pre-paid Visa in only the amount you want to pay each time and use that? Reload it with your 'real" CC when you want to make another payment?

I don't think it matters, I think they are flagging anyone in their system who had these 'bad' gift cards as having fraud activity and they'll only let them pay with that credit card authorization form - or are you saying then she doesn't have to worry about sending her CC# via email? Either way, she shouldn't have to pay $5 each time she wants to use one of those prepaid cards...bad situation, sorry OP and others affected.

honestly it's perfectly safe to fill out the form... I mean on the off chance somehow your card is compromised well your c.c company will help u reverse those charges

one option would be to do the form make your final payment then after that is processes call credit card company and have them reissue a different card to u if your that worried about it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Spoke to a manager will not allow me to pay any other way than sending this form via email with my credit card information, states penalty will apply if I cancel, but this is due to my "protection" but you want me to send my credit card via email......

Could you possibly send it via fax?

Call your credit card company and see what THEY say about Carnival requesting you send the form with your credit card info via email...

And what exactly is the credit card company going to do require Carnival to accept a credit card as is it won't matter

If they want to go on the cruise they're going to have to follow carnivals rules

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

After being laughed at by a manager, named "Candy" due to my hesitation of sending my credit card information via email (and to all those who think this is safe, I assure you, its not) I luckily still had the number for the accounting department. I spoke to a very nice lady there who totally understood the situation, and come to find out, all the reps AND manager were wrong. The credit card authorization form is ONLY accepted via fax. I have no problems faxing them the information, as we do have a secure fax at work.

Trying to save 10% off some gift cards sure was not worth the headache I have been putting up with for the past few days.

After being laughed at by a manager, named "Candy" due to my hesitation of sending my credit card information via email (and to all those who think this is safe, I assure you, its not) I luckily still had the number for the accounting department. I spoke to a very nice lady there who totally understood the situation, and come to find out, all the reps AND manager were wrong. The credit card authorization form is ONLY accepted via fax. I have no problems faxing them the information, as we do have a secure fax at work.

Trying to save 10% off some gift cards sure was not worth the headache I have been putting up with for the past few days.

I hear that! I will be satisfied with extra fuel points and extra reward points on my credit card for purchasing gift cards at a grocery store.

Glad you finally someone who could help you get this resolved to you satisfaction.

OP-Well, the easiest way is to make one payment, but you've said that isn't a preference for you due to card limit choices.

Only other ways I know of are to make payment by check (personal, cashier), money order, Western Union or bank wire. All of those are more inconvenient IMO, but it is up to you whether using the credit authorization form or a making single charge are more or less onerous. But those are your options.

come to find out, all the reps AND manager were wrong.

More and more and more I find that companies fall woefully short in properly training their staff. But it's not their fault, it is the fault of the customer. ;p:mad:

Yes, this. I suggest finding a way to make final payment in compliance with the cruise line's requirements, and consider it a lesson learned.

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I am pretty sure a gift card is in company compliance ;) Just don't buy any gift cards from 3rd party websites is the best advice :) I know many people have done this successfully with AARP, Verizon ETC. Just don't deal with resellers