Advice please on dealing with 'last minute' fares

Lincsnewbie

Feeling naive this evening - booked Transatlantic crossings for this Autumn on QM2 almost a year ago. Now an e-mail arrives advertising last minute fares at hundreds of pounds cheaper. I realise you take a risk leaving it this late but there seems to be plenty of availability. Is there any way to deal with this problem which I gather has been the subject of much debate over the years among the old hands? For example, is it possible to cancel and re-book at the lower prices? I have contacted the travel consultant responsible for the bookings and await the reply with interest! Not feeling hopeful.

Feeling naive this evening - booked Transatlantic crossings for this Autumn on QM2 almost a year ago. Now an e-mail arrives advertising last minute fares at hundreds of pounds cheaper. I realise you take a risk leaving it this late but there seems to be plenty of availability. Is there any way to deal with this problem which I gather has been the subject of much debate over the years among the old hands? For example, is it possible to cancel and re-book at the lower prices? I have contacted the travel consultant responsible for the bookings and await the reply with interest! Not feeling hopeful.

Non-UK cruiser here.

From other accounts here on CC, if you booked thru a UK travel company you would likely lose all of your deposit if you attempt to cancel/rebook. Also, if you are beyond final payment date the cancellation penalties gradually become severe.

If you have only paid the deposit it may well be to your advantage to forfeit the deposit & rebook at the new rate. I did this last year & even when the lost deposit was deducted from the saving I was still £1,500 better of & I also kept my original cabin.

I know the feeling. I booked a balcony room on a translantic cruise to Hamburg departing in August for about $2300 pp. Just after refund penalties applied Cunard lowered prices by about $1000 pp. I paid a penalty, rebooked to save about $1200. I fealt good about the savings. Now I see that they have again lowered the same fare to $899 pp for a balcony, a 68% discount. I now have 100% penalty. So I can do nothing. I don't like being manipulated. Cunard is reportedly tightening up their cancellation policy even further in 2017. I know it's a fare game, but I don't care for it.

So Frustrating isn't it ! If you cannot rebook................

Just remember you have that wonderful cruise to look forward to:)

Reader

Welcome to the club. Booked a voyage/package deal with one online TA only to receive an email a week later from another firm offering the same trip at £300 pp cheaper :eek:

Still debating whether to ask our TA if they can do something for us. Doubt we will like the answer, but that's life.

In the meantime we are happy(ish) with the price we paid and are looking forward to another trip on the magnificent Queen Mary 2.

One thing is certain we will have a brilliant time however how much it cost and so will you. Don't let price fluctuations upset you. You're about to experience something that will live with you for a long time.

By the way, be prepared to be hooked :D