Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

Nooooo! The bookshop was so wonderful! Over the years I've bought quiet a few books and the wonderful Cunard journals there! They have mugs in the main gift shop, they don't need to use this space for that kind of thing!!!

Yes it's very unfortunate. Ocean Bookshop was a Cunard distinction. I've enjoyed shopping for all kinds of fun nautical memorabilia and excellent maritime books since the QE2 days. It will certainly be missed.

"Cunard in its infinite wisdom has decided to sever its relationship with Ocean Bookshop"

Is this really true or simply word of mouth? At their website (http://www.oceanbooks.com) they keep reference to their contract with Cunard and mention the special bookshops in the 3 ships.

Well it's a first hand report from Bill Miller, Mr Ocean Liner himself who is onboard now. Many of his books are also sold in the bookshop. I would say it's true, plus there are pictures of the bookshop which indeed show a limited book selection.

The good news is I have read elsewhere that once the current stock is depleted, a new vendor will take over and the bookshop will once again be back to its usual splendor. I certainly hope this is true!

"Cunard in its infinite wisdom has decided to sever its relationship with Ocean Bookshop"

Is this really true or simply word of mouth? At their website (http://www.oceanbooks.com) they keep reference to their contract with Cunard and mention the special bookshops in the 3 ships.

On reading their bookshops page http://www.oceanbooks.com/bookshops.html it appears to be written in the past tense which suggests to me that they no longer supply the Cunard ships. The reference no doubt remains as an advert for the services they can provide.

M-AR

Well it's a first hand report from Bill Miller, Mr Ocean Liner himself who is onboard now. Many of his books are also sold in the bookshop. I would say it's true, plus there are pictures of the bookshop which indeed show a limited book selection.

The good news is I have read elsewhere that once the current stock is depleted, a new vendor will take over and the bookshop will once again be back to its usual splendor. I certainly hope this is true!

Thank you eroller for your posts on this subject, very informative and most welcome :) .

Like you, I also hope that this situation is only temporary. I think I can see one possible scenario that could apply here.

Once the concession contract had been cancelled, the retailer concerned (Ocean Books) removed all of their owned stock (at the recent refit).

Then the new people (?) take over and provide all their own new stock. If it is a North American business this could happen in New York shortly.

Meanwhile, in order not to have a totally empty shop, Cunard fill some of the shelves and displays with items "borrowed" from the Logo shop, for one (or two) voyage(s).

At least this is what I hope is true. Certainly, based on the evidence in the photos, it isn't much of a bookshop at the moment.

Thank you again; any further news you may find out, I'd be pleased to read it :) . Sincere best wishes.

Thank you again; any further news you may find out, I'd be pleased to read it :) . Sincere best wishes.

Thank you. I think the scenario you laid out could be a very real possibility. Like you I'm very hopeful.

If I hear anything else I'll try to post, but leaving today on a fathom cruise to Cuba so internet might be sketchy.

Apologies as I am sure this must have been asked before but I can't find it.

Does anyone know exactly which Britannia staterooms have been refurbished?

I heard conflicting reports prior to re-mastering that it was only going to be Britannia Club, then I heard it was going to be all upper decks (8 and above) with Decks 4, 5 and 6 following later.

Does anyone know for sure please?

I am currently sat in a Stateroom on deck 4 and I can confirm that it has been remastered complete with flat screen TV, kettle and very nice new carpets!

We too believed that deck 4 was going to be done later in the year and were very pleasantly surprised when we got on board.

I am currently sat in a Stateroom on deck 4 and I can confirm that it has been remastered complete with flat screen TV, kettle and very nice new carpets!

We too believed that deck 4 was going to be done later in the year and were very pleasantly surprised when we got on board.

Thanks. Great news. Fingers crossed for deck 5 balconies.

I didn't see anything regarding the spa. Is it in pretty good shape?

It should be. I saw some pics during the refit. The spa pool area was pretty much stripped down and filled with scaffolding. I believe the entire pool was retiled and refreshed.

Both my wife and I think this a terrible error by Cunard. Most of our on-board credit was used in their shops and we went there at least once a day. The excellent bookshop was one of the attributes which set Cunard apart. One less reason for us to travel on Cunard. Perhaps Oceania will retain Ocean Book's services.

Any news on deck four inside staterooms and the refit? I know they were scheduled for later but news of other deck fours being redone makes me hope.

Not too sure where you read about Deck four Staterooms already/partly refurbished ? The 'refresh work' (of the original cabins) has been started from Top to Down ( from deck 12)

As I understand it, they have managed to complete more than originally thought was possible in the short space of time. At the moment they are up to (or I should say down to) deck Five.

When are you scheduled to travel .

Edited by Bell Boy

Not too sure where you read about Deck four Staterooms already/partly refurbished ? The 'refresh work' (of the original cabins) has been started from Top to Down ( from deck 12)

As I understand it, they have managed to complete more than originally thought was possible in the short space of time. At the moment they are up to (or I should say down to) deck Five.

When are you scheduled to travel .

Up thread a person who is currently onboard and on deck four has a remastered stateroom. I know the insides are last, but if some of deck four is done, maybe they are getting close. We travel September 27.

Up thread a person who is currently onboard and on deck four has a remastered stateroom. I know the insides are last, but if some of deck four is done, maybe they are getting close. We travel September 27.

Wow that is a surprise ( didn't notice that posting , thanks quandrea :o) It appears that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing ......Good luck for your trip. By the sound of it, this refurbishing of staterooms is ahead of schedule.

What category are you in?

Ernie,

Sorry to hear this news about the bookshop. One of my favorite "tasks" was to go there on the first full day at sea to check out what new books I'd be treating myself to by the end of the crossing. Sad.

Hope to see you on the high seas again soon. I''ll be on the 10/18 crossing.

John

Would the new single cabins that have a balcony be in a class higher than obstructed balconies on deck 8?

I loved the old bookshop too.

None of the new single cabins have balconies. The single cabins are Oceanview cabins (category KB on deck 2 and category KC on deck 3). I have also seen them referred to as "Standard Outside" on cunard.com.

Regards,

John.

None of the new single cabins have balconies. The single cabins are Oceanview cabins (category KB on deck 2 and category KC on deck 3). I have also seen them referred to as "Standard Outside" on cunard.com.

Regards,

John.

Thanks! I was wondering if a guarantee obstructed with a single passenger might be allocated a single stateroom. Guess not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

QM2's faded one-sided corridor carpet is in good company. Here is a pic of a cabin corridor on the newly acquired and refurbished CRYSTAL MOZART. Same style carpet. Obviously this is the latest in carpet fashion! LOL I like it but then I tend to like different things. On a sidetone, the MOZART looks absolutely fantastic and Crystal did an amazing job. I see a Crystal river cruise in my future for sure.

27669488124_bd60bb1df3_b.jpg