Returning from Brooklyn to Boston

Peekskill Peach

When we arrive in Brooklyn on the QM2, we will need to return to Boston. We have looked into several options: 1) a taxi to LaGuardia and a flight to Boston; 2) a taxi to the nearest car rental agency, a one-way rental, driving to Boston; 3) a taxi to Penn Station and a train to Boston; 4) a taxi to 30th & 9th and the Go Bus to Newton, MA.

Right now we are leaning toward the Go Bus ($15 to Newton, plus a taxi home). However, I am not sure which bus we should reserve: noon or 2:30p.m. We are in steerage, so we will not be one of the first off the ship. Should we play it safe and go for the 2:30 bus? If we arrive early, and especially if it is raining, we will need to wait in Penn Station. Can anyone suggest a more pleasant place to wait with our luggage? Is there an alternative we have not considered?

Thank you for your help.

When we arrive in Brooklyn on the QM2, we will need to return to Boston. We have looked into several options: 1) a taxi to LaGuardia and a flight to Boston; 2) a taxi to the nearest car rental agency, a one-way rental, driving to Boston; 3) a taxi to Penn Station and a train to Boston; 4) a taxi to 30th & 9th and the Go Bus to Newton, MA.

Right now we are leaning toward the Go Bus ($15 to Newton, plus a taxi home). However, I am not sure which bus we should reserve: noon or 2:30p.m. We are in steerage, so we will not be one of the first off the ship. Should we play it safe and go for the 2:30 bus? If we arrive early, and especially if it is raining, we will need to wait in Penn Station. Can anyone suggest a more pleasant place to wait with our luggage? Is there an alternative we have not considered?

Thank you for your help.

Can you walk your own bags off the ship? If so you could be off the QM2 as early as 8:30am.

Although it's more expensive, I prefer the train over the bus, mainly for comfort during the ride. But also for the convenience of making connections. And the scenery of the train route, especially along Long Island Sound, beats I-95 any day.

You will have a walk of one long block and one short block from the SW entrance exit at Penn to the pickup point on the street. And if you can't manage your luggage on an escalator, the only elevator from the street into the station is at Penn's SE corner, adding another long block to your walk to the bus.

Also, you should know that you can't get into Penn's waiting areas with seats unless you have a train ticket. The Amtrak area always asks to see tickets, and the NJ Transit area asks most of the time. You'll be dragging luggage, so you're not too likely to slip by unnoticed. There are restaurants where you can wait, but of course you'll be expected to order something.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

PeekskillPeach,

Not sure what trip you will be returning to N.Y. but we are coming back at the beginning of August and have made train reservations for early afternoon. We will take a taxi (it will be $25) from Brooklyn to Penn Station. We will disembark at the 128 train station. We would rather have the ability to get up and move around in the train than to take a bus ride in cramped seats and it is a much nicer visual than the highway as one person stated.

Thank you for your replies. I didn't realize we would need a train ticket for the waiting rooms in Penn Station. We did wait in the NJ Transit waiting room once and no one asked us for tickets. We should be able to take our luggage off the ship ourselves. If we have a long enough wait, I might take the cab first to Grand Central and wait there. One advantage of the bus is that the driver puts your luggage in the storage area under the bus. Still considering the options . . .

Colonialinnkeeper, I think we met on the Bermuda cruise last year. Do you know if it is easy to get a taxi at the Rt. 128 station?

Peekskill Peach,

I thought I recognized your name but haven't had the chance to look back at our M&G listings. That was such a fun trip as we love Bermuda and go back when we can.

The few times we've been there without a car, it seems I did see a few taxis there. Our son is picking us up so it isn't something that we had to plan for. We won't be getting in too late so I would guess that you would be able to pick one up but maybe you could arrange for one to meet you there.

Where do you live? We are in Concord. This is our first trip on Cunard and we are really excited to sail on the QM2.

Peekskill Peach,

I thought I recognized your name but haven't had the chance to look back at our M&G listings. That was such a fun trip as we love Bermuda and go back when we can.

The few times we've been there without a car, it seems I did see a few taxis there. Our son is picking us up so it isn't something that we had to plan for. We won't be getting in too late so I would guess that you would be able to pick one up but maybe you could arrange for one to meet you there.

Where do you live? We are in Concord. This is our first trip on Cunard and we are really excited to sail on the QM2.

If you're talking about taxis at Rt 128 station, yes there are taxis. Or you can call for one, I forget the exact details. But I do know I've been able to get a taxi at that station several times on business trips.

Thank you for your help.

I would [and did, last Sept] go with the Amtrak. It is far more comfortable than taking a bus, especially with luggage. Also, I do believe the Port Authority bus terminal in NYC is the one place that is more of a dump than Penn Station! :rolleyes:

If money allows you may want to go First Class on the Acela train...other than full meal and beverage service [seat-side and included] it also grants you the right to use the Club Acela lounge at Penn Station...that alone is worth it for some since it can truly be a zoo there.

I have never disembarked the train at 128/Canton, only South Station or Back Bay so I can't help you with the question regarding taxis. However, you should be able to at least call for one from the train when you are close to arrival.

Enjoy your trip! It is a fabulous voyage!

Peekskill Peach,

I was also on the Veendam to Bermuda last year in May and also had the pleasure of meeting you during the M&G in the lovely Crow's Nest...complete with exciting tales from Captain Card! Hope all is well. And enjoy QM2!!! There is no ship like her; truly a fabulous experience!

I would [and did, last Sept] go with the Amtrak. It is far more comfortable than taking a bus, especially with luggage. Also, I do believe the Port Authority bus terminal in NYC is the one place that is more of a dump than Penn Station! :rolleyes:

If money allows you may want to go First Class on the Acela train...other than full meal and beverage service [seat-side and included] it also grants you the right to use the Club Acela lounge at Penn Station...that alone is worth it for some since it can truly be a zoo there.

I have never disembarked the train at 128/Canton, only South Station or Back Bay so I can't help you with the question regarding taxis. However, you should be able to at least call for one from the train when you are close to arrival.

Enjoy your trip! It is a fabulous voyage!

I was also on the Veendam to Bermuda last year in May and also had the pleasure of meeting you during the M&G in the lovely Crow's Nest...complete with exciting tales from Captain Card! Hope all is well. And enjoy QM2!!! There is no ship like her; truly a fabulous experience!

OP's bus won't be leaving from Port Authority. The budget lines won't pay their fees, so they pick up on the street. But I agree with you, it isn't a pleasant place. But believe it or not, it's better than it was years ago. By main complaint is that the only place to wait for a bus is to go up to the loading area and stand in line. There is no general waiting room. It's OK (marginally) for commuting, but Penn is better.

And to get back to Penn, whether you take Acela and wait in the lounge (which I agree is very nice), or go "coach" and wait in the general area, you can arrange for a Red Cap to help get your luggage down to the train. There's no charge, although you are expected to tip. The Red Caps usually take you down before the track is announced, so you get a better chance at good seats. Ask the Red Cap which way the train will be heading, and sit on the right for the best scenery. Also look into the price for Business Class on the regular regional trains. Sometimes it isn't much more than coach, and you get a bit more leg room and better seats. (B-class on a Regional doesn't get you into the Club lounge, though)