All I wanted was a bathtub

JAGMAP

I recently booked a Queens Grill - Category Q6 - Guarantee for a Mediterranean sailing, mainly because it had a bathtub which I need to soak in for back pain, my partner for the same and bathing our 18-month daughter.

The cruise isn't for another 40 days and they assigned us the one and only handicap accessible room shared between Princess & Queens despite continuing to sell Q6 category suites (which goes against US DOT 49 CFR Part 39). This particular suite had even been named in a UK lawsuit for quality issues.

No one in my party is disabled and despite informing Cunard we felt uncomfortable accepting a handicap accessible room knowing someone with a disability could need the room, no one cared.

After escalating to my travel agent and being told tough luck, I phone Cunard's U.S. Executive Office and spoke with a nice admin who was happy to set up a call with Cunard Compliance for the following day. Since I charged the cruise to my American Express Platinum card, had an issue with Cunard in 2011 that American Express felt so terrible about based on Cunard's behavior it credited me $200, I looped them in on the issue.

• I wanted a bathtub
  • The fare type I booked prohibited room assignments
  • Cunard was in violation of US DOT 49 CFR Part 39
  • I was not eligible to stay in an accessible room so long as Cunard continued to sell Q6 suites

American Express suggested being a passive participant on the call so it would be recorded. Plus they were appalled with Cunard for not complying with US DOT/ADA. It's the equivalent of parking in a handicap spot without a permit.

We had the call and all the Cunard admin announced was she was optimistic a positive resolution would be presented shortly. The next day we were offered the choice of:

• Keeping the handicap accessible room
  • Downgrading to a P2 Princess Grill with no fare adjustment (about $1K)
  • Full refund with no penalty

The night before, I happened to check Cunard Australia's fares for the cruise since I still maintain a residence in Sydney and saw for $400 less than what I paid for a Q6 Guarantee, I could book straight into a Q3 Penthouse with a room assignment. I'd miss the large aft balcony but at least it had a bathtub.

I informed Cunard's US Guest Relations the following day I could book using its Australian website and they said go for it. At this point, I'm thinking, all I want is a bathtub. Are you effing kidding me? "Just move me to any Queens suite with a bathtub" but was met firmly with a NO.

So I booked the Australian fare, called the US office back to move our infant daughter and cancel the former reservation at no charge. The agent was nice but didn't do me much of a favor since American Express shared privately not to worry if I had to dispute the charge I wouldn't be required to pay.

Well, the Australian website charged our 18 month year old as a third passenger so I had to call down and get them to fix the error. They said no problem, all done. New booking confirmation arrived and our daughter was still being charged $2.3K. Called back and was told the UK office would need to adjust the remainder after the weekend. SMH

My only experience with Cunard was a two-day turnaround QM2 cruise with many issues. Post-cruise, Cunard management met me with indifference, incompetence and were illogical when I asked for compensation. We settled for a $500 cash credit.

Making this week's reservation, 5 years later, demonstrated Cunard's mentality hadn't improved (or maybe it was mine) and consumed 4 days, and is eating at me. Moreover, I'm worried with encountering problems once we're onboard the 7 day cruise. American Express Centurion (don't ask why I still have Centurion customer service) has already committed to speaking with its Cunard account rep about a week before sailing to ensure ship personnel know about the problems we encountered and to ensure a #smoothsailing.

All I wanted was a bathtub.

What did I do wrong besides book a Guarantee that prohibited room assignments? I knew there was a risk of being assigned an accessible room eventually.

Does it make sense for the same company to tell its customers they won't help but feel free to use another country's website to fix our problem?

Is it worth speaking with the Exec's admin next week to share how disappointed I am and I'd like her to share my experience with her boss? Or would Cunard management even care?

Sorry but if by booking a Guarantee which prohibited room assignments then if there was any chance that you could be put in a suite with a shower then you should have paid the Cunard fare which allows room assignments when booking so that you are then guaranteed a bathtub. It sounds to me, I may be wrong so if I am then I am sorry, that you booked a Guarantee to save money on a Cunard fare in the hope that you would get a bathtub and it has now backfired on you.

Sorry but if by booking a Guarantee which prohibited room assignments then if there was any chance that you could be put in a suite with a shower then you should have paid the Cunard fare which allows room assignments when booking so that you are then guaranteed a bathtub. It sounds to me, I may be wrong so if I am then I am sorry, that you booked a Guarantee to save money on a Cunard fare in the hope that you would get a bathtub and it has now backfired on you.

You would be 100% correct if Cunard had (1) stopped selling Q6 suites and (2) hadn't immediately assigned a room as the "Flash Fare" prohibited.

How would you feel if you had a child with cerebral palsy, needed a handicap accessible room and was told you couldn't travel on this sailing because the one room designated was occupied by someone without a disability? That's why US DOT 49 CFR Part 39 was established. That means point 1 above meant the handicap accessible room couldn't be assigned until all Q6 had been sold.

If Cunard followed its sale terms by prohibiting my fare type a room assignment, point 2 above would have followed industry practice of assigning GTY rooms on day of departure, in which case I would have been prepared to accept this room.

I agree, I have no problem selecting my specific cabin I want at canaurd..If you have some specific needs you can't book a guarantee suite or y are going with what is left unsold hence, handicap site. Stop trying to nickle and dime the cruise line and book a specific cabin.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

My goodness what a saga ! I haven't read completely through your posting, but I'm afraid to say, I have to agree with other posters comments, this is the uncertainty we all take when making a Guarantee booking.

I suspect that you are now tagged as a problem customer at Cunard and as a result they have dug in their heels. Why do favors or bend policy for a customer who books discount rates and makes complaints and demands restitution after a voyage?

Furthermore, I don't buy your argument: 'can't book you in a handicap when there are other Q6 staterooms available'. If someone comes along who needs the handicap room prior to sailing you will be placed elsewhere without a thought. If the only thing you wanted was a bathtub you should have booked a suite with a bathtub.

I don't mean any offense with this reply, I just feel I'm more in Cunard's camp than yours.

I did read your post and while I do have sympathy for your position as it appears you've had rather bad service. And I flexibility is often an example of bad service.

But as another poster pointed out you did book a fare with no allocation to stateroom and I assume that a higher prices fare was on offer and you declined to take this.

So you took a gamble and lost.

They agreed to let you back out of the booking without penalty, which I presume was a goodwill gesture on their part?

Quoting US department of transport regulations and assuming they apply to a Bermudan registered ship, sailing in European waters is probably clutching at straws a little.

If you found a cheap hotel room and they allocated you an accessible room because it wasn't otherwise booked, the short of complaining there's not a lot you can do. You did complain and got your money back.

It seems you had a bad experience in the past. If you don't appreciate their customer service, perhaps you should have chosen a different line in the first place?

But it comes down to the basics. You gambled. You lost. And they refunded you. But you were so incensed by the whole thing you promptly went and rebooked again.... You pays your money and take your choice...

My experience with guarantees has been positive. On my last QM2 voyage I was given a Q6 that I wasn't keen on. A quick call to my travel agent and Cunard had moved me two doors away from the original suite. It wasn't a problem.

Without wanting to be judgemental, I do find the original poster's methodical run-through of the situation to be problematic. I could be wrong (maybe I have misinterpreted), but it comes across as if they went straight for the jugular, so to speak. If there is one way to get customer service offside it is making a strongly worded statement or complaint.

Easy as she goes seems to work best in my view, not waving consumer laws at some hapless agent.

So sorry JAGMAP to read of this problem, however I have to agree with the other posters here.

I have a very simple question, however please excuse me for appearing blunt in asking it.

If a bathtub was essential during your cruise, ie you HAD to have a suite with a bathtub; I'm unclear why you didn't book a Q5 grade suite, which all have bathtubs I believe? That way this situation wouldn't have arisen.

When I've HAD to have a balcony for a cruise, I've booked a cabin with a balcony, as a poor example.

Sorry, I don't wish to sound harsh or unsympathetic, even if that how it comes across. I'm simply struggling to "get my head around" this.

Best wishes for the future, I sincerely hope this doesn't arise again for you.

Edited by pepperrn

I agree that a guarantee leaves you open to getting something you didn't want or not getting something you did want. If OP only wanted a bathtub but didn't want to pay the assigned/non-guarantee price of a Q6, perhaps saving money by booking an assigned/non-guarantee PG would have been a better way to go. (Don't they have bathtubs?)

The argument that "Cunard is still selling Q6 suites, so why can't I have a different one?" doesn't mean a lot if you understand the guarantee process from the cruise line's end. The fact that Cunard is still selling Q6 suites doesn't mean that there actually are any Q6 suites available. Cruise lines often sell guarantees for the lowest cabin/suite grade at each category (QG, PG, BC, B) as a way to advertise a lower price and sell more cabins. As long as there are some Queens Grill suites available, they can offer the Q6 guarantee. Not everyone who takes that Q6 guarantee will end up in a Q6. Some will do better than that, but everyone who takes the Q6 guarantee will get a Queens Grill suite of some sort.

Many passengers are willing to take the risk of not choosing a specific cabin/suite--they get a better price and there is the hope of an upgrade. Cunard is willing to do this because guarantees give them confirmed sales without having to commit to a location, which means they can offer more choice to those still looking to book.

Other passengers want to get a specific cabin/suite and are willing to pay more for that degree of control. Cunard is willing to do this because they get more money.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I don't think I've ever read through my entire posting either, but thanks everyone for skimming.

I work in the travel industry and was aware of the possibility of being assigned this room. Furthermore, I knew how many suites had been assigned, which suites were still open and how many were still for sale.

Furthermore, I purchased GTY assuming Cunard would comply with

(1) US DOT 49 CFR Part 39

"...accessible cabins must be withheld from reservation until all cabins in that class of service have been reserved."

"... once all the other, non accessible cabins have been booked, the PVO may, if it chooses, book the cabins for non-disabled passengers."

(2) Flash Fare sale terms of not being assigned a room at booking

The cruise doesn't leave for another 40 days. All cabins in Q6 had and have not been reserved. I disclosed I did not have a disability. The online booking tool assigned me a room at booking.

By agreeing with Cunard 40 days out, are you also agreeing Cunard has the right to "prevent and inhibit travel by persons with disabilities" as outlined in US DOT 49 CFR Part 39? And are you assuming in a 40 day period, you know no one with a disability will request accommodation?

I equate it to intentionally parking in designated handicap areas when there is an abundance of non handicap parking available. It's wrong.

So why should I be assigned the one and only handicap accessible room when it's unlawful and violates Flash Fare sale terms? What information am I missing?

Thanks everyone for reading and sharing your thoughts! No offense taken and you've put me at ease.

The passion everyone has for Cunard is obvious and has me excited for next month's sailing. I have nothing to worry about.

Cheers!

JAGMAP, I think you will find that Cunard is not bound by the regulations you quoted.

Exactly. As I said in my response above. A Bermudan registered ship, operating in European waters, owned by corporation that is listed in more than one jurisdiction, is very unlikely to be bound by a US a very specific regulation.

I do hope you have a great cruise despite your initial disappointment.

Exactly. As I said in my response above. A Bermudan registered ship, operating in European waters, owned by corporation that is listed in more than one jurisdiction, is very unlikely to be bound by a US a very specific regulation.

I do hope you have a great cruise despite your initial disappointment.

Indeed. It is just like the foreign airlines operating in America. US based carriers are subject to more regulations and consumer laws than foreign competitors. Consequently, there's been a lot of debate about supposed unfairness to US carriers in recent years.

I imagine the cruise industry is no different in terms of application regulations.

Indeed. It is just like the foreign airlines operating in America. US based carriers are subject to more regulations and consumer laws than foreign competitors. Consequently, there's been a lot of debate about supposed unfairness to US carriers in recent years.

I imagine the cruise industry is no different in terms of application regulations.

And why there are... how few (1?) US flagged cruise ships? ... (I believe must be US built and crewed, could be mistaken). Edited by pepperrn

So according to your reasoning all handicap should be only sold to someone who actually needs it? But how do you prove that? So then all of the rooms go unsold then they go empty?

If someone needed that room they would have booked that room, just like if someone needs a bathtub they would have booked that.

As a guaranteed you say give me a room at this level, or maybe a better room if available. They did that. They fulfilled their part of the contract. If it was so important you should have booked a cabin direct.

You keep referring to US laws that don't apply. You say you work in the travel industry, do you tell people who travel to a different country not to obey their laws as the US laws are good anywhere?

Sorry this happened to you but you got what you paid for.

I recently booked a Queens Grill - Category Q6 - Guarantee for a Mediterranean sailing, mainly because it had a bathtub which I need to soak in for back pain, my partner for the same and bathing our 18-month daughter.

The cruise isn't for another 40 days and they assigned us the one and only handicap accessible room shared between Princess & Queens despite continuing to sell Q6 category suites (which goes against US DOT 49 CFR Part 39). This particular suite had even been named in a UK lawsuit for quality issues.

No one in my party is disabled and despite informing Cunard we felt uncomfortable accepting a handicap accessible room knowing someone with a disability could need the room, no one cared.

After escalating to my travel agent and being told tough luck, I phone Cunard's U.S. Executive Office and spoke with a nice admin who was happy to set up a call with Cunard Compliance for the following day. Since I charged the cruise to my American Express Platinum card, had an issue with Cunard in 2011 that American Express felt so terrible about based on Cunard's behavior it credited me $200, I looped them in on the issue.

• I wanted a bathtub
  • The fare type I booked prohibited room assignments
  • Cunard was in violation of US DOT 49 CFR Part 39
  • I was not eligible to stay in an accessible room so long as Cunard continued to sell Q6 suites

American Express suggested being a passive participant on the call so it would be recorded. Plus they were appalled with Cunard for not complying with US DOT/ADA. It's the equivalent of parking in a handicap spot without a permit.

We had the call and all the Cunard admin announced was she was optimistic a positive resolution would be presented shortly. The next day we were offered the choice of:

• Keeping the handicap accessible room
  • Downgrading to a P2 Princess Grill with no fare adjustment (about $1K)
  • Full refund with no penalty

The night before, I happened to check Cunard Australia's fares for the cruise since I still maintain a residence in Sydney and saw for $400 less than what I paid for a Q6 Guarantee, I could book straight into a Q3 Penthouse with a room assignment. I'd miss the large aft balcony but at least it had a bathtub.

I informed Cunard's US Guest Relations the following day I could book using its Australian website and they said go for it. At this point, I'm thinking, all I want is a bathtub. Are you effing kidding me? "Just move me to any Queens suite with a bathtub" but was met firmly with a NO.

So I booked the Australian fare, called the US office back to move our infant daughter and cancel the former reservation at no charge. The agent was nice but didn't do me much of a favor since American Express shared privately not to worry if I had to dispute the charge I wouldn't be required to pay.

Well, the Australian website charged our 18 month year old as a third passenger so I had to call down and get them to fix the error. They said no problem, all done. New booking confirmation arrived and our daughter was still being charged $2.3K. Called back and was told the UK office would need to adjust the remainder after the weekend. SMH

My only experience with Cunard was a two-day turnaround QM2 cruise with many issues. Post-cruise, Cunard management met me with indifference, incompetence and were illogical when I asked for compensation. We settled for a $500 cash credit.

Making this week's reservation, 5 years later, demonstrated Cunard's mentality hadn't improved (or maybe it was mine) and consumed 4 days, and is eating at me. Moreover, I'm worried with encountering problems once we're onboard the 7 day cruise. American Express Centurion (don't ask why I still have Centurion customer service) has already committed to speaking with its Cunard account rep about a week before sailing to ensure ship personnel know about the problems we encountered and to ensure a #smoothsailing.

What did I do wrong besides book a Guarantee that prohibited room assignments? I knew there was a risk of being assigned an accessible room eventually.

Does it make sense for the same company to tell its customers they won't help but feel free to use another country's website to fix our problem?

Is it worth speaking with the Exec's admin next week to share how disappointed I am and I'd like her to share my experience with her boss? Or would Cunard management even care?

Have you thought about bringing one of those collapsible bathtubs and setting it up in the room and having your butler fill and drain it per use?

I agree with the others. If you want a bathtub then you need to book the stateroom that has one. Being assigned an accessible cabin is always a risk when booking a guarantee if they are not booked close to the cruise. I expect (and have read frequently on CC) that people who require an accessible cabin book very early to get one. And cant usually make last minute bookings. Lesson learned - dont book guarantee cabins when you have specific requirements.

If Cunard have let you cancel with full refund then you have been very fortunate.

My next cruise on QM2 is a Guarantee Obstructed Balcony. I see now I could book an actual sheltered balcony for the same price. But whatever I am allocated I will have a balcony which is all I want.

Edited by Pushka