Seabourners' Copenhagen hotel recommendations

Bostonactor

Happily, we are booked on the Quest in 2016, ending in Copenhagen, where we would like to spend a few days. I would love to hear about your experiences with hotels in Copenhagen (not hearsay.) So far, I am underwhelmed. It looks to me like a wonderful city with very little choice of hotels that have some luxury (not necessarily 5*), are small, have local charm, and are in a central location. The Nimb looks like something out of Disney and the Angelterre is wildly expensive. Has anyone stayed at the Radisson Blu Royal? Good location, but it looks a bit tired. Besides, we prefer something smaller, with some charm and very personal service. Usually, I think so many hotels look good I can't decide between them, but I'm stuck here and would like any suggestions you can send my way. Thanks.

I do love Hotel d'Angleterre, which sometimes has "lower" rates; check Tripadvisor, etc.

When it was being refurbished a few years ago, I stayed at Hotel Phoenix, located near Nyhavn. Do some more research and you will find other small hotels along Nyhavn.

Wherever you stay Copenhagen has so much to offer and is so easy to navigate the hotel becomes just a place to sleep

Hi, my husband and I did the Baltic/Norway cruise on Quest in July 2014. Our first Seabourn cruise, but definitely not our last, we have booked for Antarctica on the Quest next year.

Much like you, I found the hotel choices in CPH to be underwhelming. We stayed at the Nimb when we arrived and really loved it. Yes it is expensive but is has such charm and style. Very cosy and lovely atmosphere. Quite close to attractions - you can walk easily just about anywhere in the city - and as it was right opposite the Central railway station, we caught the train from the airport and found that very convenient.

We then flew off to Iceland and did a self-drive tour for 2 weeks (fabulous!) before joining the cruise in Stockholm. We disembarked in Copenhagen 3 weeks later and stayed at the d'Angleterre. Lovely lovely hotel. Beautiful style - classic yet modern Danish style. Very friendly staff, great breakfast, lovely bar. Terrific central location, the only downside being the works associated with the new metro lines/stations being built which are somewhat intrusive all around the city, and means the main square outside the hotel is dug up and hidden by hoardings. However, by the time you are there it may be finished? Nonetheless it's a great spot, right near the main shopping street and the Nyhavn/harbour area.

In both cases, the rates were very high, but that's the nature of CPH it seems. In the end, we were glad we stayed at both for the different style and atmosphere and would stay at either again. Hope this helps.

Have a look at 71 Nyhavn. We've stayed there a couple of times before or after Baltic cruises and find the boutique property delightful and perfectly located. Nyhavn is a great neighborhood, with loads of bars and restaurants. We find it much more appealing than the area around Tivoli or the other side of the canal where the Marriott is located.

Although it's not in the center of the action, we stayed at the Hilton Airport in Copenhagen. Clean and quiet (amazingly soundproofed) plus it's right next to the metro for easy access into the city. Granted, we only stayed for 2 nights pre-cruise, but it was a blessing to fly in, walk just outside of the airport, and collapse onto a soft bed with minimal hassle.

Before a Seabourn Cruise we also stayed at the Marriott.

It's a normal Marriott and as Henry says it is very nicely located.

Keith

Another vote for the Marriott. Typical Marriott quality. Nice view of the river and not a bad walk from most things you want to see.

Might not be the boutique experience you had in mind.

We just got back from Copenhagen and a three night stay at the Andersen before our cruise. Contrary to oxypete, we enjoyed it. The rooms are modern -- the hotel is only a few years old -- and, by Copenhagen standards, quite large. It's true that rooms on one side are open to some street noise; we found we could open our windows upon returning from dinner to cool the room, then close the windows for sleeping. This might not work if the weather is hot, but it was fine for us the second week of June this year. Nice breakfast, and free wine happy hour each night. The location worked well for our days of sightseeing in Copenhagen.

Eric

Edited by cruiseej

We are currently staying at the Scandia Palace Hotel in Copenhagen before boarding Quest tomorrow. We have spent two nights here already, and we love it. It's a recently revamped 100+ years old hotel. Our room is spacious and quiet with a lovely modern bathroom.

Before I booked I read complaints on Trip Advisor about the Town Hall clock opposite striking the quarter hours, but although our room looks directly at the bell tower we don't find it unpleasant. Flying for 22 hours from Australia with an -8 hours time adjustment we went to sleep at 7 pm the first night and 8pm the second and the clock didn't wake us at all. It is silent from 11.30pm to 8 am anyway.

The included breakfast is excellent and there are many good restaurants in close proximity, apart from the one in the hotel there is a Jensen's 20 steps from the front doors. :)

We stayed at The Admiral. Very close to Nyhavn and other attractions and right on the harbour front. The hotel is a converted historical maritime warehouse so the layout is a bit "quirky" with low wooden beams in unexpected places and interesting nooks and crannies which you will find either charming or annoying! Last July there was some building work going on immediately outside which should be completed by now although I don't know how/if it affects the water views. The room was compact but comfortable. We stayed for one night only so it was fine. The buffet breakfast was magnificent!

Why stay at a typical US hotel when you can stay at a wonderful hotel such as the d'Angleterre. I always try to stay at hotels that capture the essence of the place I am visiting. A Marriott is a Marriott no matter where in the world you are. Some like that consisitency and comfort. I prefer to experience something more authentic. I think you will enjoy the d'Angleterre.

Why stay at a typical US hotel when you can stay at a wonderful hotel such as the d'Angleterre. I always try to stay at hotels that capture the essence of the place I am visiting. A Marriott is a Marriott no matter where in the world you are. Some like that consisitency and comfort. I prefer to experience something more authentic. I think you will enjoy the d'Angleterre.

Because the OP stated that the d'Angleterre was wildly expensive so perhaps not what he wanted to spend!

Thank you, all. I am still looking. I have looked at every suggested hotel and 2 mentioned here are on my short list. Many hotels are not booking this far out from May, it appears. I have faith we will land on something that has local flavor, is relatively quiet, has rooms larger than a broom closet, but is not as expensive as d'Angleterre. It just irks me that we can have a superior double in the very finest hotel in Lisbon, where the cruise begins, but it would cost 3-4 times as much for a similar double at the d'Angleterre…..without breakfast. FYI: sorry to disappoint, but Bostonactor is a "she" ….. and always has been. You never know theses days.

Winner, with all due respect, Lisbon is in Portugal, not in Spain, although your comment certainly is as valid for Portugal as for Spain.

Bostonactor - I remain convinced that aside from the luxury and tradition of the Hotel d'Angleterre, a property in Nyhavn is a great choice. I must agree with Cruisr that a hotel with local character is preferable to something like Marriott.

I am closely monitoring this thread as I do advance research for our Copenhagen-Dover cruise on the Quest July to August 2016. I may land up following the recommendations of my experienced Virtuoso affiliated travel agent, as she has done great by us so far with her recommendations,

As for why people would book an American chain hotel overseas, as I age and have health issues and am set in my ways I can relate to doing this: you get hotel points, you get a predictable product ( e.g., in all the Hiltons I have stayed in there was always in-room coffee, air conditioning, people spoke good English, and seemed to go the extra mile for my Diamond status at the time, and if something went wrong, I got points in my account as compensation, and many points lead to free stays). Location and a known quality, likely reliable product, and loyalty benefits, is often more important than local charm which may at times be risky.

Winner, with all due respect, Lisbon is in Portugal, not in Spain, although your comment certainly is as valid for Portugal as for Spain.

Bostonactor - I remain convinced that aside from the luxury and tradition of the Hotel d'Angleterre, a property in Nyhavn is a great choice. I must agree with Cruisr that a hotel with local character is preferable to something like Marriott.

Whoops!! (I DO know better; thanks for correcting me.)

If just staying for a couple of nights then the Andina Apartment Hotel in Copenhagen worked well for us. Nothing fancy but it is a comfortable one-bedroom suite with a balcony and cooking facilities. It has a restaurant and a supermarket on the ground floor, a pizza place across the street and is easy walk to see the city and sights.

We love staying in five star luxury hotels but as much as we love Copenhagen, there are none that are really five star and all are overpriced.

In this case we opt to bank the money for a future trip and make-do for a couple of days.

Just wanted to chime in that we were actually impressed with the Marriott in Copenhagen. We generally prefer smaller boutique hotels but we had a very nice stay at the Marriott. We had 2 connecting rooms with club/executive floor access and our rooms faced the canal which was truly awesome! The windows opened up in our rooms and we enjoyed hearing the sounds of Copenhagen and watching the activity on the canal.

We also enjoyed lunch at the casual restaurant at the hotel outside next to the canal ....the best club sandwiches ever ....must have been the added fried egg!

The location was fine with us as we enjoy walking and "working" off the added calories we consume while cruising!

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

As for why people would book an American chain hotel overseas...

For me, it is the fact that I accumulated a few million Marriott Rewards points over decades of business travel. Even accounting for the fact that we burned a lot of them on vacations during that time, I still have tons of them. After retirement four years ago, I can stay at the Copenhagen Marriott without it costing me anything (nothing in money, just in points) and, after reaching lifetime Platinum status in their program, I get breakfast provided and lounge access including in the rate. Plus, I have been exceptionally lucky at getting upgraded (at no extra cost) to a suite in many locations. Allows me to spend my money on other things.

And, yes, I did travel a lot for work - I also have lifetime elite status on two different airlines...and am VERY glad I'm not doing that any more.

If anyone is interested in the outcome, I just booked an executive level room at the Marriott in Copenhagen for next May, following our cruise from Lisbon. I did this in large part because of consistent good reviews here. Also because of its excellent location. AND, in case anyone is in the same boat (pun unintended,) feeling frustrated with the choice of hotels in Copenhagen, there was just a huge price drop for Mid-May at their web-site. Luckily, I happened to re-visit it minutes ago, and, needless to say, I grabbed it. So….. I hope this tidbit is helpful to anyone on the same cruise, arriving CPH May 14. Thank you all. I hope someone else benefits.

On to booking our hotel in Lisbon, which is relatively easy: between Britania and the Avenida Palace. Both great….very different styles. Feel free too weigh in. I love the feedback.

On reviewing our reservation for an executive level Marriott Copenhagen room in May, I realize that there is no general price reduction. The slash in price I received is due to my request for a senior discount, which brought the cost down several hundred dollars. They actually show a slash through the numbers, so that's the reason for my mistake. Sorry. Be sure to add this to your room request if you are over 65, however. The room is still pricey, but it brings it down to about the same rate as a jr. suite at a less desirable hotel, and it includes a view from the top floor, with breakfast.