Live on the Odyssey

fudge

Istanbul/Istanbul 7 days

Day 1 ( Saturday 8th August)

We are not huge cruisers, having only sailed with Silversea (6) times we thought we would try Seabourn for the first time.

We arrived at the cruise terminal, speedy check in procedure, short walk to the Odyssey on board by 13.30 straight to the pool deck for lunch and our first of many champagnes!

At 14.00hrs we were invited to our suite (810) we arrived to find our luggage on the bed and a welcoming bottle of chilled champagne. The suite is very nicely appointed, the bathroom is spacious, with a tub and separate shower.

After unpacking we went to the "sail away" party on the pool deck, the drinks flowed and we set sail to our first destination Myrina, Limnos (small Greek Island)

After a leisurely afternoon as first timers on Seabourn we were invited to a "meet the crew" welcoming drink and canapes. Time to meet new friends and socialize, it was a nice meet and greet.

We decided to dine in the Colonnade for our first dinner. We ate outside in a very pleasant atmosphere, the food was very good, the service was excellent. We retired to the observation deck for a nightcap, there were only two couples in there.

Having sailed with SS you cannot help but compare, the biggest difference so far is how attentive the staff are without being intrusive, they pro actively ask if you need to refresh your glass.

The pool deck is a nice place to relax, the loungers are smaller than SS but still comfortable.

We like to exercise, on other ships they have a walking track on deck, we do miss that but there is a very well equipped fitness centre.

Overall, a very pleasant experience, to be honest there is nothing as yet between the two cruise lines, the Odyssey is a lovely ship, modern, and very inviting.

Glad you are enjoying it, may it continue.

The water at Myrina is beautiful to swim in (as it is in many of those ports in the Med).

We found the crew on the Odyssey wonderful, it's nice to know the wonderful service continues.

Have a fabulous time.

Very pleased to see your first SB report Mr and Mrs Fudge.

I'm repeating myself as it's well-documented here that as a walker I very much miss having a full promenade deck too.

On a positive note, a big difference that we noticed when we first sailed with SB rather than SS is the pool deck bar service. For example at the pool bar, frequently coming round the pool deck with trays full of drinks - cocktails, juice, water etc It's led to me trying lots of new cocktails that I wouldn't otherwise. Not sure that's a good thing!

Wishing you a fab cruise, i hope that Mrs Fudge spends well in the boutique, ;) and am very keen to read your further updates.

I hope you continue to have a lovely cruise.

I am interested in your thoughts as we have looked to Silverseas as an alternative for the smaller ships. Also different itineraries when Seabourn won't work for certain dates.

Julie

Day 2

After a good nights sleep our pre ordered coffee and English muffins arrived on time at 07.30. Off to breakfast in the Collonade,a buffet breakfast with all the trimmings, very nice. We were having a marina day which we have never experienced before however, due to the wind it was cancelled, never mind an other time perhaps.

We decided to "do our own thing " today so we opted to take the tender service to the Island, it was a 10 minute (rocky) sailing. We arrived on the beautiful Island only to find 90% of the shops were closed, we forgot it was Sunday! We did however have a quiet walk along the harbour, there were cafe and bars open (free wifi) we were back on the tender in 45 minutes back to the ship.

Lunch at the Collonade, buffet style, lots of seafood, very nice. The only fly in the ointment was no hot desert, Mrs Fudge loves a hot desert, apparently Seabourn do not do hot deserts however, with 24 hours notice they will do, thank you Seabourn.

After a very lazy afternoon its the formal night, time for Mrs fudge to wear her best frock and Mr. Fudge to look like a penguin! Its 16.30 and we set sail for Santorini, Captain Dexter recommends we rise early (06.30) to witness the entry to the town this depends whether I hit the cognac this evening (lol)

The formal evening was very nice, we joined a couple from America and a couple from Australia, a very pleasant evening, quality food, good service, another nightcap in the observation lounge and off to bed.

Fudge,

Dressing in one's best for formal night, meeting the captain at this party (and when it's Capt Dexter, well, what more can be said), and dining in the beautiful MDR with well turned out new friends are a highlight of Seabourn cruises for me.

Enjoy every minute but not too many desserts, please- hot or otherwise!

Happy sailing!

fudge,

I think when you were told that SB doesn't do hot desserts, I think the person was meaning at lunch time in the Colonnade. Your wife should be able to find a hot dessert every evening in the MDR, usually a soufflé, sometimes crepes etc. ( Unless it's different in the Med as I haven't yet done a Med cruise with SB.)

Also in case nobody's mentioned it, if you're not keen on a buffet, you can have breakfast served to the table in the Colonnade, same for lunch, if that's your preference.

Thank you everyone for your responses, the cruise is fantastic we are having a great time and meeting some really nice people.

The crew are so accommodating and very friendly, looking forward to dining in Restaurant 2 this evening. :)

Edited by fudge

Thank you everyone for your responses, the cruise is fantastic we are having a great time and meeting some really nice people.

The crew are so accommodating and very friendly, looking forward to dining in Restaurant 2 this evening. :)

Great to read this!

Enjoy R2. It gets mixed love here at cc ;) We usually enjoy it for one dinner per cruise, depending on the menu that night. They used to have a grilled black sea bream with gnocchi and parmesan dish that I loved. I mentioned how much I'd enjoyed it and chef sent out another one for me :D

Day 3

We rose early to capture the entrance to Santorini, a lovely sunny morning, very calm seas from day 1, you would not notice you are sailing, watching the sun come up while enjoying coffee on the veranda, it doesn't come any better than this.

We are on an organised tour this morning so its an early start.

Santorini may well have conquered a corner of your imagination before you have even set eyes on it. With multicoloured cliffs soaring over 300 mtrs from a sea drowned caldera, it rests in the middle of the Aegean, looking like a giant slab of layered cake. The island spoons the vast crater left by one of the biggest volcanic eruptions in history.

Cycladic houses lining the cliff tops and, in places spilling like icy cornices down the terraced rock. When the sun sets, the reflection on the buildings and the glow of the Orange and Red in the cliffs is truly spectacular.

The trip was well worth the money, Santorini is one of the most beautiful Islands I have ever visited!

They take you to three places of interest, the highest spot on the Island (photo opportunity) the village of OIA, stunning, plenty to see, lovely shops, some designer shops, bars, Cafe's, and finally the main capitol with a cable car back to the port.

Back on board for 13.30 for a nice lunch and champagne (again) 17.00 hrs set sail for Marmaris (Turkey)

Relaxing afternoon, looking forward to our first visit to Restaurant 2 this evening.

Our first experience of Restaurant 2 was actually very nice. Its not everyone's cup of tea but we enjoyed the small portions and the intimacy of the restaurant. The staff went to a lot of trouble to explain each dish, we sampled three different Red wines all of which were very nice.

Thanks for your updates fudge. It sounds as if your cruise is very enjoyable.

Sorry you missed out on your Marina Day due to the weather.

We quite like R2 also, but will be interested to see the changes when they're implemented next year.

Patio Grill for dinner this evening?

Day 4

We arrived in Marmaris at 07.30, what a beautiful setting, lovely habour, private yachts moored, white washed villas and lovely scenery.

Mrs Fudge enjoyed her first eggs Benedict for breakfast, Mr. fudge has a Cheese omelette and mushrooms, very nice. After a coffee in Seabourn square it was off the ship to sample the delights of Marmaris. A lazy stroll about 20 minutes took us to the town centre, we wondered around the grand bazaar, Mrs. Fudge kept her credit card firmly in her purse to my delight.

Back on board for a British lunch in the Colonnade, fish and chips, cottage pie, steak pie and curry, yum yum.

Stop press: Because we had mentioned that Mrs. Fudge liked a hot dessert Seabourn promptly delivered a hot bread and butter pudding with lashings of custard, 10/10 how is that for service?

This evening we have an invitation to join two vocalist singers in the MDR, looking forward to that.

In answer to two questions on the forum: The sailing on the 3rd December: Captain: Stig Betten, Hotel director: Daniel Putzhammer, Maitre'd Felipe Riberoi, Cruise director: Sophia Tehrani: 15th December: Captain David Bathgate, Hotel director: Daniel Putzhammer, Maitre'd Altin Alija,Cruise director: Sophia Tehrani.

Nice touches:

Seabourn Square we really like, very welcoming, nice coffee, a great concept.

Around the pool: The offer of a splash of sun cream, wet wipes and towels.

This evening we were invited to join two male vocalists in the MDR along with other guests. It was a most enjoyable evening with pleasant company, the food was very nice. After the meal there was a "rock the boat" party on the pool deck, all the entertainers joined in the fun, plenty of dancing and drinking!, a great end to the night.

Just to say...

I very much enjoy your posts - your relaxed and light writing style and your choice of content. And it doesn't hurt that you are enjoying yourselves so much!

Ah, the Fudges. Hope to meet you sometime on a Seabourn ship!

Happy sailing!

Day 4

15th December: Captain David Bathgate, Hotel director: Daniel Putzhammer, Maitre'd Altin Alija,Cruise director: Sophia Tehrani.

Thank you so much for taking the time to find out this information. It will be our first time on Odyssey, all of those names are new to me except Sophie.

Sophie has been Assistant CD on a couple of our cruises on Sojourn. I know she'll do well as CD.

Glad to hear that Mrs Fudge got a hot dessert. Hope they're keeping you well supplied with drinks on the pool deck ;)

Apparently Odyssey has been in Kos today, I've just seen a gorgeous shot of her during a report on the BBC News at 6pm.

Fudge, I hope the events in Kos haven't affected your day. I don't know the island at all so have no idea if the problems today would have been close to the areas the Odyssey passengers would visit.

Very much enjoying your updates.

Apparently Odyssey has been in Kos today, I've just seen a gorgeous shot of her during a report on the BBC News at 6pm.

Fudge, I hope the events in Kos haven't affected your day. I don't know the island at all so have no idea if the problems today would have been close to the areas the Odyssey passengers would visit.

Very much enjoying your updates.

Yes, i did a double take, as the Odyssey was the backdrop to the problems in Kos. Nice pics of her indeed