Dress on Seabourn

mljatsea

We just booked our second Seabourn cruise. The first was on the Legend in 2008 and we loved it, however it seemed very formal in the evenings. I couldn't tell much difference in the way women dressed on formal and "elegant casual" nights. DH took a tux and we just don't feel like doing that for the Amazon. I know there are more dining options on the larger ships--we'll be on the Quest. Have things relaxed somewhat in the past seven years? Do hope so.

There are multiple threads on this topic, the dress code for better or worse depending on your perspective has been relaxed, refer to your cruise docs when you receive them or the website. Only options now are elegant casual or formal optional - and IMO too many people take the "optional" to dress down. One of the aspects of cruising is the opportunity to get dressed up, in our subjective opinion.

We did the Manaus to FLL cruise a few years ago and "get" you may worry about the humidity - some days it was very humid (a great cruise on the Amazon, truely a unique experience). But you can get dressed to the nines and stay in the comfort of the ships A/C and be very comfortable as we did. So.... Yes things are more relaxed if you choose them to be.

We just booked our second Seabourn cruise. The first was on the Legend in 2008 and we loved it, however it seemed very formal in the evenings. Have things relaxed somewhat in the past seven years? Do hope so.

Definately more relaxed than previously.

Last December in Antarctica on Quest it was very casual, not very many Tuxes and Formal Gowns (probably because it was an "Expedition Cruise" )

However on our recent Norway/Baltic cruise on Quest people were inclined to dress more, on most non-formal nights in the MDR more than half the men were wearing jackets (without ties)

I prefer to wear a jacket as it's usually cool in the MDR.

However if you prefer casual there is always "The Colonnade" which always seems very casual, or the Patio Griil. :)

Our experience during our 68 days through some very tropical areas was that dress was a little bit of everything. We saw some tuxes and some incredible gowns. We chose to not bring our tuxes because it was just too much packing. But we had dark suits, white shirts, ties, and we were fine. In fact, everyone seemed quite at ease in whatever they chose to wear. When I compare Seabourn to the stress of dressing up on a line like Cunard, well no comparison. Very stressless, yet people looked good.

Yes, mlj, things have relaxed a lot. I would suggest worth bringing a sports jacket, preferably with shirt and tie but tie is not strictly necessary, for the formal optional evening, and maybe some others. Tuxedos and suits not necessary, though some do still appear. Fairly casual trousers, but not jeans, please, in the evening. If you do not want to bring one jacket, you can dine in the Colonnade on the formals, but some of the best menus in the dining room are those nights.

Women can get away with a lot - in fact my evening togs are a bit 'formal' as I have had most of them for years, just the sparkly top and velvet trousers type of thing, but no one bats an eyelid if you are a bit more or less 'dressy'.

I'm on Quest right now. No jeans anywhere after 6 pm and a collared shirt or sweater for men. On formal nights, a jacket for men; no tie required. Approx. 50% however do wear a suit & tie or tux on formal nights.

I personally find the dress code to be much more relaxed than some people on this forum make it out to be (possibly because of their personal preference). As a first time Seabourn cruiser, switching from the quite casual Azamara, I had been worried beforehand, but there was absolutely no need for me to worry.

I'm on Quest right now. No jeans anywhere after 6 pm and a collared shirt or sweater for men. On formal nights, a jacket for men; no tie required. Approx. 50% however do wear a suit & tie or tux on formal nights.

I personally find the dress code to be much more relaxed than some people on this forum make it out to be (possibly because of their personal preference). As a first time Seabourn cruiser, switching from the quite casual Azamara, I had been worried beforehand, but there was absolutely no need for me to worry.

This good to know, thank you.

I recently got off the Soujourn in the MED and I found the dress very casual. There were a few couples in formal attire on the formal night, but not many. Having sailed on Seabourn in 2004 and 2005, I brought some dressier clothes then I do for Oceania but didn't wear them. Most dressed less casual than Oceania's Country Club Casual.

Alex

I recently got off the Soujourn in the MED and I found the dress very casual. There were a few couples in formal attire on the formal night, but not many. Having sailed on Seabourn in 2004 and 2005, I brought some dressier clothes then I do for Oceania but didn't wear them. Most dressed less casual than Oceania's Country Club Casual.

Alex

I am sorry to be the one to start the old argument but my cruise in July on Sojourn was a surprise to me. We saw some with jeans in the MDR and round necked long sleeve T-shirts. We noticed these people a few nights later but this time they had jackets on to "dress" up a bit. I noticed because it was in a large group sitting right next to us.

One night we overheard two men in shorts walking down the stairs from deck 5 to the MDR discussing whether they could "get away with just shorts".

I asked some of the staff how they were coping and they said it was very difficult as they didn't like having to deal with the confrontations. So that is my complaint. I am fine with the more relaxed dress code so why do some people feel so entitled they need to push it even further. Thus making life difficult for the crew.

There are some gorgeous shirts out these days for men, and we saw some men wearing really nice ones. They aren't confined to just wearing "business" shirts these days.

There are other ships out there if people wish to dress very casually, please can we have some ships that dressing more smartly is the standard?

Julie

Why Levi jeans in the middle of a heat wave in the Mediterranean? They are so heavy.

Edited by frantic36

Yes, I am afraid that even though I too will likely be shot down this is exactly what I could have predicted would happen when the dress code was, as my DH says "dumbed down " last year. It is just like speed limit -- no matter what the speed limit there are a number of people who will go ten miles per hour faster. So what is next for Seabourn -- clothing optional? We and friends with whom we cruise will continue to dress nice and try to ignore those who chose to flaunt the already very relaxed standards.

And yes Julie, I am troubled by the reaction to crew who don't want to enforce the rules because it makes them uncomfortable. Hey, it someone failed to heed a safety rule would they still feel uncomfortable enforcing it?

Yes, I am afraid that even though I too will likely be shot down this is exactly what I could have predicted would happen when the dress code was, as my DH says "dumbed down " last year. It is just like speed limit -- no matter what the speed limit there are a number of people who will go ten miles per hour faster. So what is next for Seabourn -- clothing optional? We and friends with whom we cruise will continue to dress nice and try to ignore those who chose to flaunt the already very relaxed standards.

And yes Julie, I am troubled by the reaction to crew who don't want to enforce the rules because it makes them uncomfortable. Hey, it someone failed to heed a safety rule would they still feel uncomfortable enforcing it?

The crew are trying to make people aware, i.e. I don't think those men in shorts got in and I think the men in long T-shirts might have had a quiet suggestion to them. They actually looked quite good with the jacket over the round neck shirt.

Julie

I posted this issue after we finished our SJ trip in May.Men were in jeans,no socks,sandles,and shorts.I went to the Cruise Director and she said it is getting harder and harder to deal with this issue.I do not see why, they can eat at the pool or in the Colonnade.If we take the trouble to dress we expect the same from our fellow guests.

SB is just going to become another mass market cruise unless someone in authority steps up to the plate.

Thank you for all the replies. We would never dream of jeans in the MDR but are relieved to see that things are a bit more relaxed since our last Seabourn cruise. Our priority is always the destination. Have done Cunard crossings with formal every night but to add formal wear to the Amazon luggage just doesn't seem very practical. DH will leave the tux at home.

I posted this issue after we finished our SJ trip in May.Men were in jeans,no socks,sandles,and shorts.I went to the Cruise Director and she said it is getting harder and harder to deal with this issue.I do not see why, they can eat at the pool or in the Colonnade.If we take the trouble to dress we expect the same from our fellow guests.

SB is just going to become another mass market cruise unless someone in authority steps up to the plate.

Why did you not speak to the Maitre d' and/or the Hotel Director? I doubt if the Cruise Director has any authority over guests' flagrant flaunting of Seabourn's suggested evening dress. It is clearly defined in many documents, including the daily Herald.

If I see men in tee shirts/shorts/jeans on my December cruise, I won't hesitate to "report" them and am unafraid to confront them myself. This is NOT the Seabourn I know and love!

I trust you at least noted (strongly) your observations and dismay in your post-cruise comments.

We have just returned from our first cruise with Seabourn. Having only previously sailed with Silversea I was surprised at the dress code on board.

My choice but I too like to "dress" in the evening, on most evenings I wore a tie and sometimes a jacket, I felt distinctly uncomfortable as many people openly stared like I had two heads!

We have just returned from our first cruise with Seabourn. Having only previously sailed with Silversea I was surprised at the dress code on board.

My choice but I too like to "dress" in the evening, on most evenings I wore a tie and sometimes a jacket, I felt distinctly uncomfortable as many people openly stared like I had two heads!

We were on the same cruise as fudge and saw a couple of "strange sights" a couple of chaps in the club one in shorts and one in gym kit, this was about 19.00. We only went to the club one night as it was almost empty and despite an excellent gutarist/singer devoid of atmosphere.

We had a few pre dinner evenings in the oservation bar where people were appropraitely dressed for the evening.

The weather was such that we never ate in the restaurant, we had very meal outside in the colonade, in the evenings people, with one exception, were well dressed gents in well cut trousers and tailored shirts. Ladies in a variety of elegant clothing.

All in all a very enjoyable cruise and I have to say some of the best food we have had on Seabourn.

Thank you for all the replies. We would never dream of jeans in the MDR but are relieved to see that things are a bit more relaxed since our last Seabourn cruise. Our priority is always the destination. Have done Cunard crossings with formal every night but to add formal wear to the Amazon luggage just doesn't seem very practical. DH will leave the tux at home.

We did the amazon trip a couple of years ago, one consideration for you, initially the ship was nice and cool despite the heat and humidity, however after a couple of days the ship became much warmer in the public rooms as a number of people had complained about the temperature being too low, in our view this change made it rather too warm

We were on the same cruise as fudge and saw a couple of "strange sights" a couple of chaps in the club one in shorts and one in gym kit, this was about 19.00. We only went to the club one night as it was almost empty and despite an excellent gutarist/singer devoid of atmosphere.

We had a few pre dinner evenings in the oservation bar where people were appropraitely dressed for the evening.

The dress code is very clear about no jeans, no shorts, no shirts without a collar, etc. in the main dining room. Nowhere does it say any longer that you need to dress for The Club or The Observation Bar (except on Formal nights).

Floris

We had a very in depth conversation with two maitre d's on Odyssey this summer. The dressing down issue is becoming such a problem with complaints from repeaters about the dumbing down and non compliance of dress codes.we were told the dress code was looking like it would be changed again at some point to a jacket requirement every night for the MDR and collared shirt minimum for colannade and casual for patio grill being minimum requirements. This does make sense to me, as the people who try to push the boundaries are in a minority and so many guests do want to continue things with a little sartorial elegance.

I am very much in favor of ramping up the standards of dress in the MDR and clarifying what's expected in other areas of the ship including the Club and Observation Bar via new materials and even sign posting.

Why? As you said, many of us expect a little sartorial elegance on Seabourn. The problem is that these offenders, the "it's my right to do what I wanna do" wouldn't know sartorial elegance if they fell over it.

Example to set the mood (and forgive me for repeating it on this forum) : on Odyssey in early July there was a woman in a bathing suit and towel with her partner in gym gear at 18:45 on one of the seats just inside the Observation Bar. I could not believe it.

And about doing what I wanna do, why don't those people do it at the local takeaway, pool hall or laundrette? The answer may be that no one would notice. But on a ship of Seabourn's standards many passengers and I bet all the crew notice. If it's too much to expect these people to dress like an adult with a sense of respect for the occasion then there is always the alternative- new printed material and signage.

Happy sailing!

The dress code is very clear about no jeans, no shorts, no shirts without a collar, etc. in the main dining room. Nowhere does it say any longer that you need to dress for The Club or The Observation Bar (except on Formal nights).

Floris

Floris, with respect I believe you are wrong as the dress code is as below:

In the evening (after 6pm) there are two different dress codes:

Elegant Casual

• Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional. Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress. This is the dress standard for all dining venues
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm.

Formal

• In the Restaurant, Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required. Ladies: evening gown or other formal apparel. Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual.
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in the Restaurant after 6pm.

Tilly, the possible change outlined to you would make more sense and is in line with the dress code we first experienced where Restaurant 2 (little sisters) was one step below the MDR and 3 dress codes were in place.

Edited by Haworth

Why did you not speak to the Maitre d' and/or the Hotel Director? I doubt if the Cruise Director has any authority over guests' flagrant flaunting of Seabourn's suggested evening dress. It is clearly defined in many documents, including the daily Herald.

If I see men in tee shirts/shorts/jeans on my December cruise, I won't hesitate to "report" them and am unafraid to confront them myself. This is NOT the Seabourn I know and love!

I trust you at least noted (strongly) your observations and dismay in your post-cruise comments.

Yes I should have said that. I reported it to the Matire d.She really could have cared less.

Floris, with respect I believe you are wrong as the dress code is as below:

In the evening (after 6pm) there are two different dress codes:

Elegant Casual

• Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional. Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress. This is the dress standard for all dining venues
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm.

Formal

• In the Restaurant, Men: Tuxedo, suit or slacks and jacket required. Ladies: evening gown or other formal apparel. Dress in other dining venues is Elegant Casual.
  • Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in the Restaurant after 6pm.

Tilly, the possible change outlined to you would make more sense and is in line with the dress code we first experienced where Restaurant 2 (little sisters) was one step below the MDR and 3 dress codes were in place.

As a reminder , the formal optional nomanclature has been dropped . Believe this an attempt by Meadows et al to be responsive to those who wish to keep the standards up . Fine by me !

The "optional" may have been dropped but what does it matter if the definition of "formal" includes "slacks and jackets?"

Good you brought this up...I almost did. But then, SS clarified "their" definition of formal, which may not be aggreable to many...including myself. Personally, when I cruise I like to dress up on formal nights, and I like to encounter and enjoy the formal ambiance. However, that's only me.