Formal Dress Code

Eglesbrech

We have only ever done short cruises on Fred Olsen before but are on a longer voyage in June.

What do I pack for evenings, is it ball gowns or more basic cocktail dresses on formal nights?

How dressy are the other nights. Guidance much appreciated.

What do I pack for evenings, is it ball gowns or more basic cocktail dresses on formal nights?

You will see the occasional ball gown so you would not be alone dressing that way, but more typically cocktail dresses.

As others have said, you will see a mixture of dress, lots of people did wear long dresses (not really ball gowns) or cocktails. One of our party did get refused entrance to one formal night dinner, because although incredibly smartly dressed, he was wearing a light coloured suit, when dark coloured suits are specified on the dress code.

One of our party did get refused entrance to one formal night dinner, because although incredibly smartly dressed, he was wearing a light coloured suit, when dark coloured suits are specified on the dress code.

I might have been inclined to thank the slightly over-zealous member of the crew for their advice and continued into the dining room...

The 'official' dress code is as follows:

"Most men opt to wear either a dinner jacket, or dark suit and tie. Ladies are often seen looking fabulous in anything from a cocktail-style dress to a full-length ball gown."

I've seen men in light coloured dinner jackets and I fail to see the problem with a well dressed man in a lighter coloured suit.

They certainly don't turn away men wearing a white dinner jacket...

You may find the information on our website of interest under the section 'What to Pack'.

I have included the link for your convenience: http://www.fredolsencruises.com/before-you-cruise/new-to-cruises/what-to-wear/what-to-pack

We hope it helps answer a few questions.

Regards

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines

You may find the information on our website of interest under the section 'What to Pack'.

I have included the link for your convenience: http://www.fredolsencruises.com/before-you-cruise/new-to-cruises/what-to-wear/what-to-pack

We hope it helps answer a few questions.

Regards

Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines

You may notice that I already quoted the relevant section of the website in my post directly above yours.

It does not say that only dark suits are allowed to be worn on formal nights, it merely refers to 'most men' opting to do so.

If you are going to have members of the crew deciding to exclude paying guests from the dinning room based on an interpretation that excludes a light coloured suit then you may wish to make that clear on the website.

How about light coloured dinner jackets, are these also not allowed?