Surviving charter flight to Caribean for Fred cruise

t60

Hello again, we have booked our Amazon cruise and will be flying from Gatwick to Barbados return. I was a bit surprised about the cost of the chartered flight (£800pp) as I thought charters would be cheaper than schedule. At the moment we don't know if we will be flying with Thomson or Thomas Cook. What are your experiences with either of these charters for long distance travel, do you have any suggestions for surviving on a this type of flight apart from upgrading to Premium at another £400pp.

When I boooked I was told our seats would be allocated at check-in so we don't seem to have any choice as to where we can sit

Thanks for your input

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

Hi, Transatlantic flights tend to have more leg room than Euro Continental flights. I am 6' + and no way near small weight wise and normally fly cattle, no upgrade. When checking in, tell them you are not a good flyer and can you have a seat near the front, you may be lucky and get a free upgrade, although very doubtful, or you may get a bulk head seat with loads of leg room.

Hi, Transatlantic flights tend to have more leg room than Euro Continental flights. I am 6' + and no way near small weight wise and normally fly cattle, no upgrade. When checking in, tell them you are not a good flyer and can you have a seat near the front, you may be lucky and get a free upgrade, although very doubtful, or you may get a bulk head seat with loads of leg room.

Thanks, sounds good

Sandy in Spain

Last 4 years flown out to Barbados.

Don't enjoy but no alternative.

Am 6 foot 1inch and 15 stone. Try for an aisle so I can get up and walk about. Also a few bottles of plonk and a couple of malts "relax" us.

Always flown Cooks I think, from what I have read Thomson are better.

Not much help, just try and chill that's what we do.😄

• 3 weeks later...

Thomson are pretty good for long haul, much better leg room and services than on short hopper flights.

For me the trick on these long flights is sleep as much of it as possible away and to keep busy for the rest of it so that time passes. I like an audio book to listen to on my iPod rather than trying to read and the head phones block out other sometimes annoying noises. An unabridged audio book can take you through the whole flight.

Flíghts are generally a pain but a ncpecessary one to enjoy the wider world, I long for the day when my holiday starts with the words "beam me up"😄

• 1 month later...

Just recieved a note, flying Fred Olsen charter with Thomas Cook, Gatwick to Barbados for our Amazon Cruise in Feb 2016.

From what I've been reading recently I'm not looking forward to that.

Presumably meals and snacks are included on the plane, how about drinks such as wine and extra tea, coffee, soft drinks etc.....it's been years since we've been on a charter.

Fred already told us we can't choose our seats!

Sandy in Spain

We had excellent service in-flight on a charter to Barbados with Fred, but it was 3 years ago.

At that time, Fred provided in-flight catering and drinks free, but that may have changed.

I know on our more recent and obviously shorter flight out to the Canaries the catering in-flight was not free, but that was explained as being due to the length of the flight.