December Mini Cruise

We were thinking of doing a mini Cruise in December, and the ones I can find are the 60's and 70's ones from Southampton.

Someone has said that these short cruises become booze cruises, and although we would enjoy the music, we wondered if anyone has experience of these cruises to let me know what they are like please.

We were thinking of doing a mini Cruise in December, and the ones I can find are the 60's and 70's ones from Southampton.

Someone has said that these short cruises become booze cruises, and although we would enjoy the music, we wondered if anyone has experience of these cruises to let me know what they are like please.

No experience myself, but I'm curious why you've posted to the Fred Olsen board?? Try the Thompson board, if there is one.

wft

We did one last year Gill. We had a fantastic time - it wasn't a booze cruise at all There was a lovely atmosphere onboard (we were on the Balmoral), the food was excellent (better than Thomson), staff were lovely & 2 of the Showteam (all of whom were excellent) were ex-Celebration.

I would definitely say 'go for it'. I also did a one night mini cruise last year on Boudicca & had a great time & as you can see, we are booked on another from Bristol to Ireland this year on the Black Watch. I'm getting through all the ships....!

Not sure why wft says you should try the Thomson board as Thomson (as you know) don't do mini cruises from Southampton. I can assure you that all the passengers we have met onboard have been friendly too.

There is a small (unofficial) FB page where there are quite a few photos of the ships - might be worth you joining that page.

Jules

:)

Edited by Julessmiles

No experience myself, but I'm curious why you've posted to the Fred Olsen board?? Try the Thompson board, if there is one.

wft

Maybe because Gill is wanting to try one of the 60's / 70's mini cruises from Southampton as she originally stated in her post? You will also see that she is sailing on the Braemar in August. It's good to try other cruise lines as we have discovered!

Maybe because Gill is wanting to try one of the 60's / 70's mini cruises from Southampton as she originally stated in her post? You will also see that she is sailing on the Braemar in August. It's good to try other cruise lines as we have discovered!

Thanks Jules and all. You are right that I was asking on here as it is a mini cruise I fancied trying, and Thomson (much as I like them) no longer have any cruises from GB. There is only Fred and P and O I feel doing the December ones and as we are trying Fred Braemar to the Baltic in August, I thought it would be another opportunity to get to know their fleet. Looks like we could be booking up when we get home from Cornwall.

Cheers - Gill

Thanks Jules and all. You are right that I was asking on here as it is a mini cruise I fancied trying, and Thomson (much as I like them) no longer have any cruises from GB. There is only Fred and P and O I feel doing the December ones and as we are trying Fred Braemar to the Baltic in August, I thought it would be another opportunity to get to know their fleet. Looks like we could be booking up when we get home from Cornwall.

Cheers - Gill

I have heard comments on the P&O groups that their mini cruises can be a bit 'booze-cruisey' & often lots of hen / stag parties on those at times Gill.....!

We have just come back from a mini cruise on Braemar to Amsterdam, and if you are going to get a booze cruise it has got to be to Amsterdam! However, although I was told there was one hen party and one stag party on board, we never heard them at all. Didnt see anyone who had too much to drink either it was fabulous and certainly no booze cruisers.

Only because of the poster's history of Thompson cruising and, maybe just maybe, he/she came to this board in error.

wft

No I didn't come to this board in error, but I couldn't do a Thomson mini cruise when they no longer have ships from the UK. I found out Fred had 2 mini cruises for 60's and 70's so thought I should ask my question on this board. From the replies, I would be happy to do one - thanks folks.

We went on the Dublin one last Christmas - full of horrendous hen parties- the maitre d was afraid to speak to them