Not Feeling Special

dog1

It would but my whole point of cruising with Regent is to eliminate the amount of additional effort I have to put in to my vacations. What attracted me to them in the first place was the all inclusive aspect of their cruises.

How much extra effort does it take to tell your TA to book a hotel and transfers?

Interesting responses regarding the bourbon. Wish I could get Maker's Mark in a "well" drink at home. Agree that the other selections aren't great. On board, in addition to wine and champagne, I tend to have either vodka or tequila drinks. In past years the tequila choices were very poor. The addition of the premium brands - Don Julio and Patron - was a great improvement.

The bourbon's listed are just the ones on the included list, right? Because I could have sworn that I saw Knob Creek on board our last cruise.

I do agree that their bourbon list isn't nearly as comprehensive as their scotch and cognacs offerings. I assumed it's because bourbon isn't as available worldwide as other whiskeys. Liquor stores in Europe won't stock any bourbons at all.

I believe the term refers to the metal rack holding bottles of liquor that will be dispensed when no brand is called by the patron. The rack (well) is usually attached to a sink and ice bin and placed below the level of the bar, handy for the bartender, so labels are often hard to see, Well liquors are, as just noted, often inexpensive brands, and sometimes brands you've never heard of in less upscale drinking venues.

1. Bickering. Why do we have to have internet lawyers pointing out each infraction and conducting a point/counterpoint analysis? Sometimes folks post some very vindictive comments that only serves to demean themselves and really makes me doubt as to why we are cruising Regent. Thankfully, you don't see this behavior when onboard. Sort of a Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde syndrome.

Well, I could not agree more with Zqueeze1 on the point above. I recently put down a deposit for the first time on an upcoming Regent Explorer cruise due to the strong recommendations from two tennis buddies who regularly cruise on Regent. Neither follow CC, but we will be traveling with one couple on this cruise and I recommended to him to join the roll call and follow CC discussions.

I say all this because I regularly follow and contribute to the Princess threads (and we will be going on our fourth Princess cruise this September) and while there are disagreements I have never seen the amount of bickering and personal attacks as on the various Regent threads I have been following. If not for my friends, this disharmony would be a significant factor in deciding if the Regent atmosphere would detract from our experience.

I really appreciate Zqueeze's comments that this type of attitude does not translate to the ship experience. In fact, I am highly jealous of the TA cruise roll call he participates in, as ours is verrrry slow in comparison.

And finally, I also appreciate the enthusiasm and information I obtain from Travel Cat as she provides her insight from her personal experiences. Understanding that there are different opinions to various topics that is expected on this forum, what is not expected nor appreciated(by me) is the various personal blasts she(and others) takes without merit. One writer in particular is especially vicious to her comments.

Sorry that this post is a deviation from the OP's thread, but I couldn't resist adding my 2c to Zqueeze.

Doug

Doug, I can't resist either - your thoughts echo mine exactly. We almost didn't book with Regent due to the atmosphere on some threads here and the obvious use of "counter-argument" solely to validate vitriol deliberately targeted at certain individuals. Thankfully we are on the TA you mentioned and it has restored my faith in Regent humanity! And thank you Travelcat for your valuable comments!

Melissa

Mcshane and doug52, you are so right. Posting on the Regent boards occasionally becomes a blood sport. Ignore it. But if you can't have a good time on a Regent cruise, you are not trying. Value is another question, the answer to which will vary by individual. The worst Regent cruise I've ever had was wonderful.

Really appreciate the fact that the last few posters recognize the issues on the Regent board. Acknowledging it may be the first step towards change. IMO, people should debate topics - not the person making the post. Enough said.

Just wanted to mention that I have been in contact with someone at Regent headquarters and I expect to hear back regarding this topic next Tuesday or Wednesday. This person is trying to get the final word on how special requests for alcohol are handled. As soon as I learn more, I'll definitely post.

Today is the hottest day of the year where we live. Just had to post this comment before I melt into a puddle.:p