Capadoccia extension

We are looking at the Sept 6 Mariner Istanbul round trip with a Capadoccia pre-cruise. DW wants to know about the physical challenge of the cave tours, etc. Anyone with info on this extension? Thanks! BTW this cruise now has "free" business class air.

We did the Cappadocia extension with Regent about three years ago. Cappadocia is one of the most amazing places we have seen in the world - we loved every minute of our visit there. In terms of "underground caves", are you referring to the underground city? As I recall, there were some narrow, winding areas underground. While not extremely difficult to walk, I'm not certain if someone with mobility issues would be able to do it. I do recall that there were a LOT of people waiting to get in and we had to stand a while before our group was permitted to enter.

The rest of the time in Cappadocia was fairly easy but there is quite a bit of walking and we were definitely tired by the end of each day. IMO, being amongst the "fairy chimneys" was magical - an absolutely wonderful experience!

We were on this extension (post-cruise) a few years ago. There is a lot of walking. There are a few sites with many stairs, but you can always elect to stay outside and wait for those participating. We also had the opportunity for a hot air balloon, which would be difficult for those with mobility issues.

We did not do a tour with Regent but with a separate group of 14 people. My husband doesn't do stairs and doesn't do too much walking. Just opted out when he/we got tired. It is definitely someplace not to miss. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thank you all for your inputs. When I read that the "underground city" has air shafts as deep as 300 feet, I thought that could be a LOT of stairs, 30 stories worth, but that doesn't sound like the case.

The underground city is a lot of walking, with stairs and very narrow passageways. It is not for someone with any sort of mobility or claustrophobic issues. And the lighting is not great.

You do have to walk a lot to see the cave churches as well. We did this with a private guide and some required climbing as well. If a person has mobility issues, this really is not a tour I would recommend at all.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone wanting an option to Regent's extension, we visited Cappadocia with Euphrates Tours, based in Urgup, instead of using Regent's extension and were extremely pleased. It's a small company that provides tours of not more than 8 people (our group was just us & a congenial Canadian). From emails back and forth promptly returned to airport transfers and touring at our own pace, we could not have been more pleased. We stayed at the Gamirasu Cave Hotel, which we really enjoyed, and had 3 interesting days in Cappadocia, seeing out of the way spots & local restaurants where there were no other tourists as well as the usual, more well-known sites. Did a short camel ride in Zelve & I did the balloon ride. We feel we got a lot for the price. (I had investigated 2 other companies).

The underground caves do have small passageways. My husband, also a big man, got partway into the cave but had to back out and wait for us outside. There was uneven walking, crouching through some tunnels & climbing up and down, but you do not go all the way to the bottom levels, so not terribly bad & extremely interesting. It was good to not go in a large group.

Euphrates also provides guides in Istanbul but we opted to DYI there for a couple of days, which is easy to do, after our cruise of guided excursions every day. Great excursions but we were ready to explore on our own.

Whatever you decide, Cappadocia is a unique experience!

DW and I enjoyed Capadoccia to the point that she considers it the high point of our Turkey visit. I defer to the Turquoise Coast and Istanbul, but still admit it is a can't miss stop. All you have read about the underground is true--it is difficult. Any mobility challenged individual will have difficulty, but if they are determined and have a high pain threshold it can be done. I did it. The churches, IMO, on the other hand are relatively easy. There are stairs, not difficult, however; and plenty of room when you get to the individual church. The paintings and history I felt made these much more interesting than the underground city we saw. Either way be sure you get there. BTW, I suspect an individual tour would be better, albeit more expensive.

We felt that Regent did an excellent job with this extension. There were 24 people in our group (staying in two different hotels). One reason for booking it through Regent is that you arrive in Istanbul, are taken to a hotel for the night - flown to Capadoccia in the morning - then are bused to the hotel. We had lunch along the way. When we departed Capadoccia, it was from a different airport (closer). After arrival back in Istanbul there was a local excursion prior to being taken to the ship. IMO, after a long flight to Istanbul, is easier to let Regent figure out the Capadoccia flights and transportation than doing it ourselves (perhaps we are simply lazy):o

• 2 weeks later...

We did this a few yrs. ago. Loved it! Used a private tour company. Found another couple through roll calls to join us. It was 2 or 3 days. Stayed in a cave hotel. (Awesome & nice) there was a lot of walking but one could sit outside & meet up later. The underground city did have small pass ways & no way wheelchair access. But, the cave hotel is accessible. Go, you will love the area. Google it.

irishwitchy, Your husband will have difficulty in a few places in the underground city. I am 6' and 200lbs and found both the height and less so the width a hindrance; but not everywhere. Remember these people were a lot smaller than a 21st century American:D