What to pack for Stockholm to Copenhagen in September

Pamela1

Hi Pamela1 and welcome to the Regent board (and to Cruise Critic). I see that you are a new poster.

At first, your question seemed easy -- I went to holiday-weather.com and checked out Stockholm and Copenhagen in September to get an idea of the temperatures in the area. Below are the averages:

Copenhagen: Average high 63 degrees, low 52 degrees, 10 hours of sun per day, 15 days of rain per month.

Stockholm: Average high 59 degrees, low 48 degrees, 7 hours of sun and 15 days of rain.

When you look at the climate changes this year, it could well be warmer than "average" (it definitely is where we live). So, I would pack clothes for the average temperatures but make sure I have clothes for temperatures 10 degrees warmer.

I would layer clothing during the day as you may go out early - when it is still cool and still be out when it warms up in the afternoon.

Have a great cruise!

P.S. An interesting example is the "average" for where we live in mid-late June. The high temperature average is 67-68 degrees. This month has been in the mid to upper 70's. This weekend will be 85. Average rain for June is 2" and we have yet to receive measurable rain (and people say that it rains in Washington every day :-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Hi Pamela1 and welcome to the Regent board (and to Cruise Critic). I see that you are a new poster.

At first, your question seemed easy -- I went to holiday-weather.com and checked out Stockholm and Copenhagen in September to get an idea of the temperatures in the area. Below are the averages:

Copenhagen: Average high 63 degrees, low 52 degrees, 10 hours of sun per day, 15 days of rain per month.

Stockholm: Average high 59 degrees, low 48 degrees, 7 hours of sun and 15 days of rain.

When you look at the climate changes this year, it could well be warmer than "average" (it definitely is where we live). So, I would pack clothes for the average temperatures but make sure I have clothes for temperatures 10 degrees warmer.

I would layer clothing during the day as you may go out early - when it is still cool and still be out when it warms up in the afternoon.

Have a great cruise!

P.S. An interesting example is the "average" for where we live in mid-late June. The high temperature average is 67-68 degrees. This month has been in the mid to upper 70's. This weekend will be 85. Average rain for June is 2" and we have yet to receive measurable rain (and people say that it rains in Washington every day :-)

Thank you very much for the advice , we will make sure to add. extra layers for inclement weather

Very interesting weather stats and very changeable. I guess we will have to pack for every eventuality.

TravelCat is correct. Check weather before you go, but expect changes. We just returned from London to Copenhagen and it was unseasonably warm according to everyone we met onshore. That being said, it is cooler if you're on the ship and walking the track or if it clouds up suddenly. I was very happy with layering, everything from tank tops to a turtleneck went with me and I used them! I particularly like a light weight jacket that you can peel it off and tie it around your waist if I'm on an excursion and get warm. My husband had mostly cotton sweaters, long sleeved shirts and khakis or jeans for excursions and was happy.

TravelCat is correct. Check weather before you go, but expect changes. We just returned from London to Copenhagen and it was unseasonably warm according to everyone we met onshore. That being said, it is cooler if you're on the ship and walking the track or if it clouds up suddenly. I was very happy with layering, everything from tank tops to a turtleneck went with me and I used them! I particularly like a light weight jacket that you can peel it off and tie it around your waist if I'm on an excursion and get warm. My husband had mostly cotton sweaters, long sleeved shirts and khakis or jeans for excursions and was happy.

Thank you Ladymadeline for your feedback and the advice . We will do that and try to do the light jacket too.

Do you think there is a specific dress code when in cold climates, and is the ship warm enough to wear dresses and sandals at that time of year?

Thanks.

Thank you Ladymadeline for your feedback and the advice . We will do that and try to do the light jacket too.

Do you think there is a specific dress code when in cold climates, and is the ship warm enough to wear dresses and sandals at that time of year?

Thanks.

In general, the temperature on the ship is quite lovely and I am usually cold. The two circumstances in which I either carry an extra sweater or pashmina is for the theatre and for CR - the theatre is kept cooler, esp in the evening during the performances, because the performers are working quite hard and need the cool air. Same is true for CR, the dining room employees are constantly running around and they are wearing long sleeve jackets so the room is kept cool for them, but I find it chilly, esp if wearing something sleeveless. However, I do wear dresses and shoes/sandals to dinner most evenings.

FYI - During the holidays, Talbots has lovely "dress" sweaters that really work great for Regent cruises - they are light, dressy enough to wear with evening wear and keep one warm. If you are patient and wait until mid-January, the mark-downs are quite substantial.

gnomie :)

In general, the temperature on the ship is quite lovely and I am usually cold. The two circumstances in which I either carry an extra sweater or pashmina is for the theatre and for CR - the theatre is kept cooler, esp in the evening during the performances, because the performers are working quite hard and need the cool air. Same is true for CR, the dining room employees are constantly running around and they are wearing long sleeve jackets so the room is kept cool for them, but I find it chilly, esp if wearing something sleeveless. However, I do wear dresses and shoes/sandals to dinner most evenings.

FYI - During the holidays, Talbots has lovely "dress" sweaters that really work great for Regent cruises - they are light, dressy enough to wear with evening wear and keep one warm. If you are patient and wait until mid-January, the mark-downs are quite substantial.

gnomie :)

Hi gnomie,

Thank you for the advice, it was very helpful.

When you said dress sweaters i remembered i have a few long sleeved Autumn dresses so i will take them along too. Much appreciated. :)

I wear open toe shoes (sandals or heels) every night on Regent. Whether you find the dining venues cold or not depends upon where you are from and your tolerance for air conditioning. Compass Rose, for instance, is kept cool when they open but is quite warm within an hour when it becomes full.

After a "temperature" discussion on board the Voyager, I decided to take a very small room thermometer with me on the next cruise. When people said that they were cold in Horizons Lounge, I checked the temperature - it was 72 degrees (which is why I was far from cold). While it never hurts to have a sweater or pashmina, I have yet to use one on any of our cruises.

In any event, I think that you are traveling in one of the most lovely months of the year (our favorite months are April, May, September and October).

I wear open toe shoes (sandals or heels) every night on Regent. Whether you find the dining venues cold or not depends upon where you are from and your tolerance for air conditioning. Compass Rose, for instance, is kept cool when they open but is quite warm within an hour when it becomes full.

After a "temperature" discussion on board the Voyager, I decided to take a very small room thermometer with me on the next cruise. When people said that they were cold in Horizons Lounge, I checked the temperature - it was 72 degrees (which is why I was far from cold). While it never hurts to have a sweater or pashmina, I have yet to use one on any of our cruises.

In any event, I think that you are traveling in one of the most lovely months of the year (our favorite months are April, May, September and October).

Hi Travelcat,

Thank you again for the advice,

72 degrees is indeed warm so i guess i will be taking lots of different types of clothing just to be on the safe side.

May and October are our best times to travel also so hoping for (at least) a dry one.

• 2 weeks later...

In our part of the world, it is unfortunately very difficult to predict the weather, to look at the average temperature is not completely reliable unfortunately. Some years it may be summer heat early September but other years it may simply be cold, rainy and windy autumn weather, so I would pack clothes for both warm and cold weather if I were you.

/P

In our part of the world, it is unfortunately very difficult to predict the weather, to look at the average temperature is not completely reliable unfortunately. Some years it may be summer heat early September but other years it may simply be cold, rainy and windy autumn weather, so I would pack clothes for both warm and cold weather if I were you.

/P

Thank you very much Winters Gate for that information.

I think we will have to pack lots of things to accommodate the ships heat and the outside temperature to make sure we get it right.

We live in Scotland so i'm guessing the climate is pretty similar.

Unfortunately we won't be visiting Stockholm this time but just passing through, we hope to visit properly some time in the future.

A pity you won't be able to spend time in Stockholm as it is a lovely city. We look forward to revisiting even though we spent four days there last year..

I did Stockholm - London via Copenhagen mid - late August 2014. We had been told by friends and family travelling in the area just a few weeks earlier to bring more Summer clothes as there was a heat wave. Well by the time we got there the weather had cooled considerably.........luckily we always pack layers and a lightweight raincoat as they came in handy. Still had a wonderful cruise as it is a lovely area.

We felt the cold especially but where we live often has over 100 degree days in Summer and so we might just not be used to cool/cold weather.:o

Julie

I just saw your reply saying you are from Scotland, another lovely place which we visited after the Baltic cruise and the weather was very similar.

Edited by frantic36

A pity you won't be able to spend time in Stockholm as it is a lovely city. We look forward to revisiting even though we spent four days there last year..

I did Stockholm - London via Copenhagen mid - late August 2014. We had been told by friends and family travelling in the area just a few weeks earlier to bring more Summer clothes as there was a heat wave. Well by the time we got there the weather had cooled considerably.........luckily we always pack layers and a lightweight raincoat as they came in handy. Still had a wonderful cruise as it is a lovely area.

We felt the cold especially but where we live often has over 100 degree days in Summer and so we might just not be used to cool/cold weather.:o

Julie

I just saw your reply saying you are from Scotland, another lovely place which we visited after the Baltic cruise and the weather was very similar.

Hi Julie, thank you for the reply.

I'm glad you enjoyed Stockholm and hope we will get the chance to explore further someday.

Re clothing, i have realised that we will have to pack a variety of clothes, just like being at home then ha ha! I don't envy your 100 degree heat though.

Pam.

Edited by Pamela1

Pam, I just want to highlight that we live at a time when the weather can vary widely not only year over year but week to week.

While it's nice to know historical averages they are only an average.

Some advice:

A week or so before your cruise visit a weather site and check out the forecasts for the ports you are visiting. Yes, a week out is a long time but it will start to give you a feel.

Be prepared to layer your clothing as Jackie said and bring a waterproof jacket with a hood for potential rain that can be layered on top of what you will wear.

Have a great cruise.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Pam, I just want to highlight that we live at a time when the weather can vary widely not only year over year but week to week.

While it's nice to know historical averages they are only an average.

Some advice:

A week or so before your cruise visit a weather site and check out the forecasts for the ports you are visiting. Yes, a week out is a long time but it will start to give you a feel.

Be prepared to layer your clothing as Jackie said and bring a waterproof jacket with a hood for potential rain that can be layered on top of what you will wear.

Have a great cruise.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the advice. I have been checking the average temps in the countries we are visiting and it does seem to vary so will definitely check a week or so ahead of our cruise.

Pam.