Switching to Regent

After many years of loyalty to Celebrity cruises, my partner and I have just booked a Jan 2016 Caribbean cruise on the Navigator. We have wanted to do this for a while, but we kept opting for Celebrity because the price for a standard balcony cabin on Regent was the same price for a high end suite on Celebrity.

Our last Celebrity cruise was dreadful. We have now decided that a more upmarket line is preferential to the cabin size.

I suppose my main point for this post is to gain reassurance that we have made the right decision. I understand that the Navigator will be refurbished soon after our cruise. I have also read a fair few negative reviews on Tripadvisor on the Navigator.

We now prefer smaller ships with less noise and less crowded public areas. We are foodies and enjoy decent wines. We aren't moaners and make friends easily.

Any comments would be greatfully received!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Welcome to the Regent board! IMO, you have made the right choice.:)

I am one of the people that has made a few negative comments about the Navigator, however, it is truly a lovely ship. The suites are larger than on the Mariner - really lovely with lots of room. The Navigator has had issues throughout the years - particularly prior to about 7 years ago when Apollo purchased the company and put multi-millions of dollars into fixing her issues. She will look amazing after refurbishment (and does not look bad now).

The one issue that Regent has been unable to fix on either the Voyager or the Navigator is their aft vibration. Some people (those that don't read Cruise Critic and/or do not have a good TA) book an aft suite - unaware of the vibration. Some people have no problem with it while others cannot tolerate the noise/vibration. The good news is that the rest of the ship is fine.

People on Regent are friendly and very relaxed. The public areas are not typically crowded (but one lounge can get crowded during Trivia). The ship is quiet - not dead - just quiet;) There is lovely music played in the lounges in the evening and probably more active music late at night.

Feel free to ask questions between now and the time you cruise -- there is always someone around that is happy to help those new to Regent.

We cruised on HAL more than 200 days but they were getting larger for our taste. We .like a few hundred passengers rather than THOUSANDS!

We also like Regent"s very limited smoking rules - there is a smoking room but none in suite or balcony or restaurants!

We sailed 30 days in Navigator from Cape Town to FLL in luxury. We won't go back now!

Regent is addictive!

BOn Voyage

Edited by TedC

Thank you all for your responses. I'm feeling a little better about the switch😃

We booked this particular cruise for the itinerary. We have reached that age where loud music and crowds are just annoying, so this sounds more our cup of tea.

Can only think of one question at the moment..

We pack lightly and usually send clothes to be laundered and rewear them. Can you do that on Navigator? I know there are laundry areas, but I'm on holiday....I'm not going to be queueing for a washer drier! Thank you all

Ps already you're much friendlier than on the Celebrity board 😆

We were on one Celebrity cruise years ago....I came away calling it Sell-ebrity as virtually everything had an extra charge. Our particular cruise was undersold so they must have had a good sale to fill up the ship. Let's just say that we didn't have much in common with our fellow passengers. I know, I know, that sounds snobby, but loud voices, old prom wear, and flesh baring clothing in public venues is not my cup of tea!

We have sailed with Regent three times and have 2 more booked for this year and next. On Regent you have to work hard to spend your on-board credit! The cabins are spacious, champagne is always in the mini fridge, the balconies are big enough and you can get as much service as you need. As an example, on our first Regent cruise we had a butler who always seemed to be underfoot. We value privacy and self sufficiency so it was too intrusive for us. In contrast, others can't get enough of this kind of service. I agree with TC concerning the vibration. Book to the front of Navigator and you should be fine. I found the decor of the cabins dated but OK. It is due for a major face lift.

My wife and I have also sailed many of the big box cruise lines and have become very dissatisfied with their product. We first sailed Regent two years ago on the Navigator to Alaska. liked it so much we did the same cruise last week. I think you'll find the Regent experience to be very different from Celebrity. At first, it seems a little pricey. However my bill at the end of our last cruise was $22, mainly for a few laundry items. It pained me to leave a half bottle of my favorite bourbon in the suite, but that's the way it goes. We are in our mid 50's and have decided it doesn't cost any more to go first class, you just don't go quite as often. I believe you have made the right choice.

We loved the laundry service. It enabled us to take fewer clothes which especially pleased my husband.

Welcome to Regent. I think you will enjoy it. We are just off the Mariner in the Med and it is delightful to see us so relaxed and pleased with life.

Edited by Eager2Travel

After many years of loyalty to Celebrity cruises, my partner and I have just booked a Jan 2016 Caribbean cruise on the Navigator. We have wanted to do this for a while, but we kept opting for Celebrity because the price for a standard balcony cabin on Regent was the same price for a high end suite on Celebrity.

Our last Celebrity cruise was dreadful. We have now decided that a more upmarket line is preferential to the cabin size.

I suppose my main point for this post is to gain reassurance that we have made the right decision. I understand that the Navigator will be refurbished soon after our cruise. I have also read a fair few negative reviews on Tripadvisor on the Navigator.

We now prefer smaller ships with less noise and less crowded public areas. We are foodies and enjoy decent wines. We aren't moaners and make friends easily.

Any comments would be greatfully received

Hi. we also moved to Regent this year. After 5 other cruises we looked to see what would suit us and Regent came out on top.

We didn't want a stuffy or slack affair and everyone was well dressed but not pompous and there was a very good vibe onboard.

We found the choice of wine very good quality and the food also good.

We were on The Mariner and have booked again for The Voyager in September. We are hoping that the brand will be the same next time round despite some negative reviews of late.

Also, we used the laundrette and it was very simple. There was one one on our deck with 3 washers and 3 driers, there was never a queue for a machine and very easy instructions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again everyone. We are 2 professional people in their 50's. Loved the comment about " not our type of passenger". I was kind of asking that question but didn't want to appear snobbish. Haha.

Am really looking forward to this new experience. We were elite plus members on celebrity, so free wifi, free drinks etc etc. Seems we get that as standard on Regent anyway ( booked concierge ).

Thankfully have cabin fairly midship, so hopefully vibration won't be a major problem.

We like Navigator a lot (we cruised on her last October from NYC to Montreal and prior to that from Miami and back via Port Canaveral, Charleston and Bermuda), but it is a small cruise ship and the hull came from a 1990s Russian spy ship. So you will feel the ocean, particularly if it's stormy, though it has improved a lot since stabilizers were installed. The only restaurant choices on Navigator are Compass Rose, Prime 7, and Sette Mare. There is one large observation lounge. The spa and sauna/steam room and fitness areas are all relatively tiny and bit outdated. It does have the advantage of quite spacious basic suites, over 350 sq. ft. , generally with verandahs. Regent also is all-inclusive, of course.

Therefore, if the itineraries were much the same, we would choose instead Regent's new Explorer (we've already signed up for the December 28, 2016 Panama Canal cruise from Miami to Los Angeles) or Oceania's Riviera or Marina instead. Why? The two new Oceania ships cruise like a dream; we presume that Regent Explorer will also. They have at least two more restaurant choices and, we believe, superior cuisine. Each of these three ships also has, in addition to the (smaller) Italian and steak & lobster restaurant that Navigator has (or in the case of Explorer, will have), French and Asian Fusion specialty restaurants, at no additional cost. The Oceania ships also have an excellent Wine Spectator gourmet restaurant with a prix fix menu with wine pairings, at additional cost.

Moreover, each of these three ships has (or will have) a large demonstration kitchen for couples and individual cooking classes, which have found to be a blast. The Oceania ships also have an Artist's Loft where a resident instructor presides over free watercolor, photography, and other classes. Each of these three ships has a world class spa with large sauna and steam room, a very large fitness center, a private deck in the front for higher category suites, and a larger (salt water) w pool, as well as a paddle tennis court and a fun 18-hole putting course with miniature "rough" and rocks. If there are multiple days at sea, you appreciate these amenities that Navigator lacks.

Note that, if you want to match or exceed the size of the Navigator suites, on Riviera and Marina you should book a Penthouse Suite.

Coming from very large ships with many restaurants and other amenities (but nowhere near the level of Regent/Oceania service), you might experience less cruise ship "whiplash" by going to these more medium size ships as opposed to Navigator...

Edited by JPR

Respectfully disagreeing. We have sailed on Regent numerous times and on Oceania twice.. While we feel that the food in some of the specialty restaurants on Oceania are better than on Regent, two of the specialty restaurants, the main dining room and the buffet are not. Although the array of food offerings in the buffet restaurant exceeds Regent's, the quality does not. On Regent, you place your order for eggs, pasta and other made-to-order dishes and they are delivered to your table. On Oceania, you stand in a long line and receive what we feel is sub-par food.

The two new Oceania ships are absolutely beautiful - much better than Regent's current three ships (the new Regent ship is suppose to be even more beautiful than the Riviera or Marina). As mentioned above, on these two ships, you need to book a PH suite in order to have the same suite size as on the Navigator. However, if you book any of the other three (soon to be four) ships, the suites are small and the bathrooms are miniscule.

The biggest differentiator is the nickel and diming on Oceania and the class distinction. We tried to make the experience as close to the all-inclusive experience that we receive on Regent. So, we paid $60/day/person for the premium alcohol package and were fortunate enough to find a special that included tips and internet. Still, we had to give our room card every time we wanted a drink. If you do not purchase the alcohol package, you are paying approximately $10/drink plus 18% gratuity and the alcohol is strictly measured (unlike Regent).

On Regent, once you walk outside of your suite, everyone is treated the same. For the most part, no one has any idea whether you are in the most or least expensive suite. On Oceania there is a special lounge for "concierge" guests and another for "suite guests". Also, when you check in to board the ship, there are separate times that you are permitted to board (based on stateroom). Top suites board 11:00 a.m. and the lower staterooms is a few hours later. It is said that you can check in early if there are no lines. Speaking of lines, there are separate lines for the top three suite categories, for penthouse, for concierge and for the lowest group. I find this objectionable to say the least. On Regent, it is first come, first served and there is nowhere on the ship that is set aside for "special" guests.

We do not find the size of the Navigator to be a big problem most of the time. In inclement weather when everyone is inside (rare but it does happen), the ship can be a bit crowded. Note: During the upcoming refurbishment, they will rework some of the public areas. Although we prefer the Voyager's and Mariner's 700 guests, we would take the Navigator's 490 over Oceania's Marina and Riviera with approximately 1,250 guests.

I have given Oceania very good reviews. For a premium plus cruise line, they probably are the very best. However, IMO, there is no comparison between Oceania and a true luxury cruise line.

I suspect that I will be blasted for some of my comments but they are truthful and based on our experiences.

Edited by Travelcat2

Another respectful entry to this discussion.

Our first cruise as adults was aboard Navigator in January ten days roundtrip Miami / Western Caribbean. We booked Regent for the luxury experience. While that was not delivered it was an okay cruise and we loved being at sea, such a treat. It helped mightily that we had a master suite which meant the crowded public areas were attenuated for us since we could repair to our spacious and comfortable digs. Deck furniture was not as comfortable.

Food was meh except for the ice-cream bar on the pool deck which was finest kind. Best calories onboard! Wine was good to meh; I ordered twice from the premium list.

Music -- less said better. Dear god what a nightmare.

Service in our (true) suite was fabulous; elsewhere was adequate.

We did not avail ourselves of Regent air and pre-cruise hotel inclusions since both were not up to par for us.

Was this experience concomitant with our expenditure of $25K plus air fare SFO-MIA-SFO and four nights at Miami Four Seasons? Not so much.

Are we glad we cruised? Yes indeed! Next up the Amazon in November aboard Silver Whisper, Panama Canal in March aboard Seabourn Odyssey, and Norwegian Fjords aboard Seabourn Quest next June.

Would I cruise Navigator again? Nope. Would I cruise Regent again? Maybe should an attractive itinerary be offered on the soon-to-be-launched Explorer.

P.S.: Laundry service on Navigator was spectacular! Can't recommend more highly.

Edited by OctoberKat

Thank you all for your responses. I'm feeling a little better about the switch

We booked this particular cruise for the itinerary. We have reached that age where loud music and crowds are just annoying, so this sounds more our cup of tea.

Can only think of one question at the moment..

We pack lightly and usually send clothes to be laundered and rewear them. Can you do that on Navigator? I know there are laundry areas, but I'm on holiday....I'm not going to be queueing for a washer drier! Thank you all

Ps already you're much friendlier than on the Celebrity board

Glad to read that you are feeling better about the switch! As you can see, most people that try Regent after trying other cruise lines fall in love with it. IMO, the only real problem with Regent is that it is addictive.:D We did not find that to be the case on Oceania or Silversea.

Forgot to comment on the vibration issue: notable in Compass Rose (main dining room) and the theatre. Otherwise not remarkable but our (true) suite was as foward as you can get on deck 9, thus distant from the aft aggravation.

Edited by OctoberKat

I'm getting a vibe here that those with true wealth , used to the finest things in life, aren't that happy with the " luxury" on Regent. However those who deem themselves " financially comfortable ", ie the majority, will be more than happy with the "luxury" they receive. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that seems to be what I'm reading between the lines.

I'm getting a vibe here that those with true wealth , used to the finest things in life, aren't that happy with the " luxury" on Regent. However those who deem themselves " financially comfortable ", ie the majority, will be more than happy with the "luxury" they receive. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that seems to be what I'm reading between the lines.

Spot on! Regent delivers a very good product in terms of food, accommodation and service. You'll find a very high proportion of returning customers on board which says it all. Is it perfect? No - but what is?

We chose Regent for our 'holiday of a lifetime' and were glad we did but, be warned, it is addictive! ;)

As to laundry, the service is superb and good value - compared with what UK hotels charge anyway!

My main point was that, if you're switching from very large cruise ships to Regent, Navigator may not be to your liking, particularly for a long cruise. Regent's Voyager or (after next summer) Explorer would be the best choice for you, or the two larger Oceania ships--particularly if you like more restaurant choices and prefer to book your own excursions and/or don't drink numerous glasses of spirits or wine each day or prefer premium wines (which also are extra on Regent).

Just a caveat. Personally, we have enjoyed Navigator but would choose her in the future only on the basis of the itinerary.

Agree with the last poster and also your comment regarding most of us being happy with the level of "luxury" we receive. We also are very happy with the passengers that cruise on Regent and the "feeling" and understated décor of the ships.

P.S. You read between the lines very well:)

My main point was that, if you're switching from very large cruise ships to Regent, Navigator may not be to your liking, particularly for a long cruise. Regent's Voyager or (after next summer) Explorer would be the best choice for you, or the two larger Oceania ships--particularly if you like more restaurant choices and prefer to book your own excursions and/or don't drink numerous glasses of spirits or wine each day or prefer premium wines (which also are extra on Regent).

Just a caveat. Personally, we have enjoyed Navigator but would choose her in the future only on the basis of the itinerary.

Thank you for the info on the various ships. You may well be right. This time it was the itinerary. We've done all the St islands, this time it's the Belize, Honduras, Guatemala trip etc trip.

We have sailed both Azamara ships and thoroughly enjoyed those so I'm assuming it's roughly the same.....but better!

Thank you for the info on the various ships. You may well be right. This time it was the itinerary. We've done all the St islands, this time it's the Belize, Honduras, Guatemala trip etc trip.

We have sailed both Azamara ships and thoroughly enjoyed those so I'm assuming it's roughly the same.....but better!

Since you've been on Azamara, you are aware of the size of the smaller Oceania ship since they are the same (except Oceania decorates them better:) I have no doubt that you will enjoy Regent!