Best Place to Fish Ketchican or Icy Straits

mpduquaine

For salmon it is Ketchikan you can catch them right in the center of town with out any guide or excursion. You do need a fishing lic.(about 20$) and a rod if you have a pack kind they work fine .I will be happy to help you if this is what you would like to do. What dates are you going ?

dolittle, We will be in Ketchikan on June 20. My nephews would love to fish for salmon. Can you please tell me the details of how they could fish without going out in a boat? They have equipment that they could bring to Alaska. Thank you! Debra

Last year in Ketchikan we fished for Salmon right off the bridge and dock area adjacent to Creek St. We rented gear but this time plan to bring our own this year. That being said though June 20 may still be a little early for the salmon run in Ketchikan. We were there in early August and the salmon were thick.

I usually cruise in May and have run into a ton of people who went fishing every year and they all complained about not catching anything and spending a fortune to fish there. I would be very careful to research before scheduling a fishing excursion in May in Ketchikan.

Salmon don't run in May and June in Ketchikan.

dolittle, We will be in Ketchikan on June 20. My nephews would love to fish for salmon. Can you please tell me the details of how they could fish without going out in a boat? They have equipment that they could bring to Alaska. Thank you! Debra

You will see people fishing all over town you do need a Lic. (although if they are young enough they may not ) I found the metal bridge was the best spot (you will see it) As far as the fish we were there the same week (04) and there were many king salmon in the water ,they were a little harder to catch than my first time (sept 01)when there were many pink I caught over 35 in about 3 hours. In most cases they do not use bait so tell to bring many colorfull lures and a pack rod are ideal for travel. If there is anything else I can help you with please ask . Good luck.

Edited by dolittle

Thank you! Is there a close place to rent rods and purchase the licenses? It may be easier to rent instead of bringing them. Also, can you please describe how to find the metal bridge from the ship? Any advice is very welcome.

Thank you! Is there a close place to rent rods and purchase the licenses? It may be easier to rent instead of bringing them. Also, can you please describe how to find the metal bridge from the ship? Any advice is very welcome.

I bet they are referring to Creek Street and Creek Bridge.

Ketchikan Creek Bridge & Creek Street

Just walk about 3-4 blocks towards town from where the ships dock.

• 1 year later...
I usually cruise in May and have run into a ton of people who went fishing every year and they all complained about not catching anything and spending a fortune to fish there. I would be very careful to research before scheduling a fishing excursion in May in Ketchikan.

Salmon don't run in May and June in Ketchikan.

That is TERRIBLY incorrect information. May and June in Ketchikan are considered KING Salmon season. King Salmon are the BIG GAME of salmon fishing- rarer, more elusive, and thusly, more special, highly prized and more challenging to catch. That does not mean however, that they "don't run", LOL!

As a point of fact, the three weekend-long Ketchikan CHARR Annual King Salmon Derby (www.ketchikankingsalmonderby.com/) started on MAY 23 this year, and will continue for the following two weekends. Somewhere around TWO THOUSAND locals fished it last weekend. The locals wouldn't be doing it if the King Salmon weren't "running." The Grand Prize ALONE is worth about $13,000.

As another point of fact:

go HERE: (

) to see what Mother Nature provided to us on MAY 17. I'm pretty darned sure those fish were 'running'. :-):D:D:D:D