Legend of the Seas - age in Solarium

Arnie65

My husband and I will be on Legend of the Seas in January 2016 out of Brisbane. Our 15 year old son will be with us and will be just short of a month shy of his 16th birthday. Do you think they will allow us to take him in there as I think the minimum age is 16 years to be in there. He is well behaved and somewhat shy. Definitely won't be doing bombs into the pool or making any noise and will be accompanied by us at all times.

The Solarium is an ADULT ONLY AREA. Sixteen is not considered adult. but you can ask an attendant and they MAY grant permission.

Re-read the original post. Sixteen is the age designated as old enough to be in the solarium.

OP: no one is checking ID's in the solarium. As long as he is well-behaved he will be fine.

Cruise lines tend to enforce age limits to the letter. If somebody should complain and ask why is a child allowed in the Solarium your son's age will be in the manifest. If nobody says anything you're clear. But if there is a complaint he's out of luck.

No one checks ages, unless there is a problem or someone complains.

Just as a heads up, not sure about the Legend, but on a couple of cruises have seen some PDA in the pool, plus plenty of drinking and adult conversation.

I would not object to him being there, but think he would be bored, and much happier hanging out with other young people at a more active pool - music, games, etc.

My husband and I will be on Legend of the Seas in January 2016 out of Brisbane. Our 15 year old son will be with us and will be just short of a month shy of his 16th birthday. Do you think they will allow us to take him in there as I think the minimum age is 16 years to be in there. He is well behaved and somewhat shy. Definitely won't be doing bombs into the pool or making any noise and will be accompanied by us at all times.

if he is not sixteen the DAY HE BOARDS he is NOT eligible to use the Solarium.

the age limit is clearly marked. Since he is not 16, he is not entitled to access. period. end of subject. he doesn't need to be fudging his age until he turns 60.

his behavior( or you interpretation) is irrelevant. you feelings of fairness are not a concern. At 15 he is old enough to understand and ABIDE BY the restrictions put in place by the cruise line. trying to cheat and sneak in when he is not eligible teaches him that it's okay to break rules and ignore everything n favor of your own selfish wants.

if he is not sixteen the DAY HE BOARDS he is NOT eligible to use the Solarium.

the age limit is clearly marked. Since he is not 16, he is not entitled to access. period. end of subject. he doesn't need to be fudging his age until he turns 60.

his behavior( or you interpretation) is irrelevant. you feelings of fairness are not a concern. At 15 he is old enough to understand and ABIDE BY the restrictions put in place by the cruise line. trying to cheat and sneak in when he is not eligible teaches him that it's okay to break rules and ignore everything n favor of your own selfish wants.

Oh for crying out loud, no "sneaking" is required as there is no one checking ID's in the solarium. But thanks Mom.

Oh for crying out loud, no "sneaking" is required as there is no one checking ID's in the solarium. But thanks Mom.

I have seen it..and I have seen teens kicked out

including the quiet ones 'not bothering anyone'

The Solarium is an ADULT ONLY AREA. Sixteen is not considered adult. but you can ask an attendant and they MAY grant permission.

Negative. The age to use the Solarium on all RCI ships is 16.

Does he look 16? As long as he doesn't draw attention to himself by acting childish, he should be fine. Just, understand 16 is the rule so if he does get challenged by staff, he'll have to leave.

Of course you can bring him in. What better way to show him how to pretend that rules are merely suggestions as long as you can get away with it.

Slipping in under the radar is not the same as being "allowed" in. Why not ask if he can come in with you? If the attendant says yes, you have demonstrated to your son a very positive approach to rules - exceptions can be made and following the procedures can have a positive outcome.

If you don't ask, it's because you know it's wrong and you don't care about the rules.

We have decided we will ask as he is so close to being 16. If they say no, no problem, we will go to the main pool. Just wasn't sure how flexible they would be as he is so close to being 16. We would never ask if he was months away from turning that age. We are definitely not going to 'sneak' him in and do not intend to flout the rules. :)

Some people need to ask them self if the rule is about an age or a behavior.

The solarium is a place where you should be able to relax, no jumping in the pool, no screaming and so on. I would say that the 16+ rule isn't about age, it's about reducing the risk for noisy behavior.

On my back 2 back cruise on Legend jan-feb this year, the people making most noise in the solarium was the retired people playing different games.

So again, a soon to be 16 year old boy that behave better then the retired people can´t go in because his age...?