Never ever buy EFFY jewerely

pisces68

You know, I was wondering if homeowners could/would cover it somehow. We do have it but I've never had to use it, fortunately. I do have the receipt, its less than a week old and I do have the appraisal. If EFFY doesn't help, I'll call my insurance and see what they say. Thank you!
Why don't you call your credit card company.

I am sorry, didn't know where I should post this but felt that I had to at least try to get the word out. I have never bought jewelry onboard a ship but I fell in love with a diamond/tanzanite ring that I just had to have. I am now heartbroken. Just got off the Carnival Splendor. Due to my persistence, my husband broke down and got me my dream ring. It originally cost $2700 but Kevin gave us such a great 'dea'l at $1500. They swore up and down, if ANYTHNG happens to this ring, defect or loss of stone, EFFY will replace it, blah blah blah... Nothing has ever happened to one ring I've ever owned. I've been home 2 days... the prong broke and the stone is gone!! :-( We've been on phone with EFFY 2 hrs. They don't guarantee loss of stones and said I must have done something for the prong to break. We got passed to literally 12 different people all saying, oh I don't have a boss, I report directly to Mr. Effy. I will not give up this fight but I honestly wanted to let people know PLEASE don't buy jewelry from the ship but especially DONT BUY EFFY PRODUCTS!!! Thank you for listening.

you can always check with your credit card company that the purchase was put on and see if they provide an extra warranty for purchases.

Edited by Computer Nerd

Both my husband and I made separate calls to Carnival today about it and both reps said, Unfortunetly you'll need to deal with EFFY directly.

But guess what, I'll be calling back tomorrow re-iterating that I bought the EFFY product onboard, in case they both missed that part. They're going to be so sick of hearing from me but I don't care. Fingers crossed.

I believe that there were other postings on CC about cruise lines not being willing to get involved in any disputes between the customer and the recommended or guaranteed vendor.

I would contact the credit card company while keeping up the pressure on Effy. I would also suggest reading your home owner's policy.

On the other hand, if Effy gave out stones to everyone who claimed they lost one due to a product defect, they might run out of stones. Part of their pushback may be a method to shake out those intent on fraud. Perhaps they figure only genuine complaints will be persisted with by the purchaser?

I have a feeling that if you had found the stone they would just put it in a new setting. JMO.

If you have made a good faith effort to resolve your issue, and they still wont honor their terms, call your credit card issuer. They may be able to dispute the charge for you, however they may not be able to do anything. If your attempts with the merchant fail, give it a shot.

Agree with this idea . . . some credit cards have/offer their own warranties as well.

I'm sorry this is happening to you but it gives me the chance to share my experience. I purchased my wife's engagement ring at Diamonds International in Key West based on the shopping expert's advice. She even picked it up from them after having it resized and handed it to me personally on the ship. The ring itself was actually a decent deal and my fiancee at the time loved it.

However before we even got off the ship it lost a stone. I got the same run around from Carnival and was told to contact DI, which I did as soon as we got home. I had to pay for shipping of the ring back to them (in NYC) and it was "repaired", a process that cost me nearly $40 in shipping and took several weeks. They did manage to get it back in time for our wedding. After the reception it had lost two additional stones.

Sent it back, same $40 shipping and this time they agreed to construct a brand new ring in the correct size thinking the resizing might have caused the prong failure. This ring actually lasted about a week before losing a stone, then 4-5 more.

It was at this point that Diamonds International decided to ignore all of my phone calls and e-mails. We went on another cruise and stopped by a DI in Cozumel with the ring to speak with a manager who basically told us there was nothing they could do other than let us upgrade but to do that you have to spend as much as you did originally, effectively doubling the price.

I gave up and had a local jeweler melt it down and construct one from scratch that was very similar but with a lot more gold around the stones. So the $1800 ring I bought in Cozumel ended up costing me around $3600 once it was all said and done.

The good thing is that my wife is very happy with it and wears it every day now. It did lose a single stone recently but it's covered by the local jeweler's warranty and they'll repair it in house.

You know, I was wondering if homeowners could/would cover it somehow. We do have it but I've never had to use it, fortunately. I do have the receipt, its less than a week old and I do have the appraisal. If EFFY doesn't help, I'll call my insurance and see what they say. Thank you!

Unless the piece was scheduled on the policy, the home policy's deductible will apply.

Lesson to folks, schedule your valuables. You're able to protect them typically w/o a deductible and at a repair/replacement or a stated value coverage.

If it matters, get it on your insurance policy and pay the premium for it. Finger it'll cost about $0.75-1.25 per $100 scheduled for most companies for jewelry/furs.

Be smart.

I bought a bracelet and a ring in the jewelry shop on the ship on two separate cruises. The ring lost a stone within two weeks. The next time I cruised I brought the ring and the receipt with me and carnival replaced it no questions asked. I did the same with my bracelet set. I must say the cost was nowhere near yours but they did replace each for me. I hope you can get yours replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought some great tanzanite earrings in April. Wife wears them often. You can dispute it through your credit card company and see if that helps. I have to see it in writing because very few honest salespeople. It's all about the commission.

And there is a huge turnover among the sales staff.

Unfortunately, if you make a claim on your homeowner's insurance, you usually have to pay your deductible, plus a claim surcharge, plus your rates will go up if you have any kind of no-claim discount currently in force. It probably wouldn't be worth it for a $1500 ring unless you could claim it at the appraisal value.

I will not be buying from EFFY in the future and will tell everyone else I know about your experience unless they resolve this issue to your satisfaction. Please let us know the outcome.

I feel your pain! I had a pair of lever back diamond earrings....three days of wear and the earring back snapped. Needless to say i was:mad:! 1200 dollar earring and the back snapped. My husband bought them to replace my pair that i had worn DAILY for 15yrs. We got the run around and when they finally agreed to repair them...they sent back an earring that was mangled and repaired obviously with pliers....sadly i had to involve the credit card company and ended up with a full refund.

If you have made a good faith effort to resolve your issue, and they still wont honor their terms, call your credit card issuer. They may be able to dispute the charge for you, however they may not be able to do anything. If your attempts with the merchant fail, give it a shot.

I agree if you used a credit card dispute it that way. The few times I have had dispute something my credit card company handled the situation very effectively.

Wish you luck in receiving a refund or replacement.

• 5 months later...

Shopped in Effy Store at the port in Cozumel. The manager over charged us $3000 for a trade in and the new earrings fell of as they were not made properly. Had to go to Celebrity to get our money back and our jewelry that they were going to take on a trade. Manager lied about everything. Previous experience at other ports was satisfactory but this was a total Rip Off. Be ware of Effy. Their customer service in New York is less than helpful.

I was surprised on our recent, Dec 26th cruise on the Splendor at the large EFFY display of jewellery and virtually nothing else. I usually buy myself a pair a "fun" earrings. Nothing "fun" about EFFY prices and the choices were either way too expensive or cheap.

Seemed like Carnival was pushing EFFY to the expense of everything else.

I am so sorry this happened to you and you get your situation resolved promptly. I would be so upset if this had happened to me. I've read so many threads and posts on this board about not purchasing expensive jewellery onboard a ship. Mine is a bit of a different situation but I thought I'd pass along the details anyway. On my last cruise, I was looking at a $65,000 tanzanite ring in the shop, they loaded me up with free champagne, I took off my own expensive ruby and diamond ring to try on and probably because I had so much champagne, left the shop without putting my ring back on, within a minute I noticed, ran back into the shop and the ring was gone. Made a fuss saying if that was your $65,000 ring for sure you would have noticed it was missing, I got pretty loud, and the lady standing beside me moved her cell phone, and low and behold my ring fell on the floor. I have surely learned my lesson.

I am sorry, didn't know where I should post this but felt that I had to at least try to get the word out. I have never bought jewelry onboard a ship but I fell in love with a diamond/tanzanite ring that I just had to have. I am now heartbroken. Just got off the Carnival Splendor. Due to my persistence, my husband broke down and got me my dream ring. It originally cost $2700 but Kevin gave us such a great 'dea'l at $1500. They swore up and down, if ANYTHNG happens to this ring, defect or loss of stone, EFFY will replace it, blah blah blah... Nothing has ever happened to one ring I've ever owned. I've been home 2 days... the prong broke and the stone is gone!! :-( We've been on phone with EFFY 2 hrs. They don't guarantee loss of stones and said I must have done something for the prong to break. We got passed to literally 12 different people all saying, oh I don't have a boss, I report directly to Mr. Effy. I will not give up this fight but I honestly wanted to let people know PLEASE don't buy jewelry from the ship but especially DONT BUY EFFY PRODUCTS!!! Thank you for listening.

Thanks for the "heads up, " and I hope you get your problem resolved.

I very seldom pay anything expensive for any of the ships jewelry, unless (I pretty much know) it is cheap, then I know what to expect. I do not go to any of the jewelers that the ship recommends, as they do get a "cut."

I have paid some good, few thousand dollars, but I have always tried to go to CC and see what people say/recommend. Now since you bought it on the ship, you were "trusting" that it would be good, or the would "warrant" it.

I have bought some jewelry in St. Thomas, and never have been disappointed. When I have taken this to my jeweler, he has always told me he would have thought I would have paid more. The only problem, I would either have to go back/mail the product if necessary, so I'm thankful everything has been fine with the jewelers I have dealt with.