How do you attach your luggage tags?

Smoke_1

Hi all,

Down to days :D. I've read several threads about luggage tags and I'm still a bit confused :rolleyes:. After I've printed them, followed the fancy folding instructions and "laminated" them with tape, then what? Do you staple them around the handles? If so, do you carry your own stapler? Do I need to carry a hand full of zip-ties, and if so, how do you punch holes?

Thanks in advance,

John

Hi all,

Down to days :D. I've read several threads about luggage tags and I'm still a bit confused :rolleyes:. After I've printed them, followed the fancy folding instructions and "laminated" them with tape, then what? Do you staple them around the handles? If so, do you carry your own stapler? Do I need to carry a hand full of zip-ties, and if so, how do you punch holes?

Thanks in advance,

John

I just punched a hole in them while I was still at home then waited until we were at the hotel to attach them with a zip tie. I always carry a bunch of zip ties in the little outside pocket of the luggage for when I might need them (like when TSA cuts mine off and does not put a new one on it and for the return trip home)

There's no need to bring your stapler. Just staple them at home. Wrap it around your handle and staple where is says to. You won't need them on the way home cause the ship will give you these tags to put on your luggage. Enjoy!!!:)

I have a single hole punch, but an ice pick will poke a nice hole in your luggage tags once you have laminated them with packing tape. Poke the holes before you come. Don't bring the ice pick. I won't even bring the hole punch. Just one less thing. You can buy zip ties at WM for about $1.27 for 100 in the hardware/automotive section. You do need to think about how to cut them off, so put a little pair of scissors or toenail clippers in the outside pocket of your bag.

I didn't put mine on until I was leaving the hotel for the ship. I figured if anyone could rip them off the bag, it was AAirlines.

Edited by GlendaleCruiser

I just fold them like the instructions say and staple together. We care a small school staple with us. Have never had any problems, don't know why so many go to such great lengths

I can tell you one good story about why people might go a little crazy when attaching the luggage tags.

When we cruised on the Freedom in 2008, it was raining really bad in Miami when we were leaving. The luggage was getting wet as it was sitting on the edge of the dock in the big cages waiting to be loaded. There were 5 of us cruising that year. Four of the bags arrived to the cabins by about 6pm. The 5th bag was missing. As it turned out, all of my friend's luggage tags had come off. We guessed because they had gotten wet and ripped off easily. Her bag didn't turn up until after 11pm that night.....tagless. It was sitting outside the theater along with about 40 other tagless bags.

So, I know that I make sure my tags are securely fastened to my bag. I also put one on the inside. I don't want to be searching for my bag until all hours of the first night. It's better to be safe than sorry! :D

Edited by CruiseLover824

I call mine "redneck luggage" tags. haha I get those Ziploc snack bags and fold the luggage tag in half and it fits perfect. Then I punch a small hole in the corner of the bag at one end and thread some ribbon through it and tie it on my luggage. Works great and keep your tags from getting wet, torn, etc.

Just like previous posters I used packing tape to "laminate" them punched a whole at the bottom and then attached them to the handle of my suitcase with a zip tie. It worked so well they're still attached to my bags and I've been back since June 28th!:eek:

I fold them, then "laminate" them with the wide packing tape, but I cut the tape several inches longer than the tag. After putting the tape on them, I loop them through the handles of my luggage and then close them by taping down the excess tail of the tape.

Great info! I was wondering how to go about doing this without them getting ripped off. I guess I should wait until after our flight and once we get to Miami port. I also went to WalMart looking for regular luggage tags and couldn't find any! I want them for the airport for everybag. Where can I find some cheap ones???

Great info! I was wondering how to go about doing this without them getting ripped off. I guess I should wait until after our flight and once we get to Miami port. I also went to WalMart looking for regular luggage tags and couldn't find any! I want them for the airport for everybag. Where can I find some cheap ones???

Ebay and Target. I just saw some at Walmart the other day. They must of just been out. I have even seen them at the Dollar store.:D

I'm thinking the "color" is for coding properly as to what part of the ship the bags go to. If the tag is black and white the handlers can't see it as easily. I'm sure it won't be a big deal with black and white though. I expect they get a few of those.

A couple of years ago, I found clear heavy duty plastic pouches at Walmart and slid the luggage tags right inside. Punched a hole in each and attached with heavy duty ties. That worked perfectly. I hope they still sell the pouches because I can't find my old ones. :mad:

Cindy

Edited by CinWin
Forgot to put in the store name

• 6 years later...