Port or Starboard? Magic Nov 25 - St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk

nicoleds

Magic Nov 25 - St. Maarten, St. Kitts, San Juan, Grand Turk

My parents are looking to book a balcony, which side offers the best view of the ports for this cruise? Anyone know?

Thanks!

The question cannot be answered.

Sometimes when the boat docks, it pulls head in, other ports they back in.

Whichever side they decide to choose, they will have plenty to see from their balcony.

There is a great view of the El Morrow fort as the ship pulls in and departs from San Juan harbor.

But one side sees it as they pull in, the other side sees it as the ship departs.

Edited by lizardhowson

It depend, and there's no way to know until they dock. Just pick a side and take your chances. :)

You really can't lose in the Caribbean. If you're not looking at the port, you're looking at beautiful blue water.

Edited by gtalum

What they said is true. And even if the ship pulls forward into the pier it could berth on either the left or the right side of it. So, it's still a gamble whether the balcony will be facing whatever view you have of the island or of another cruise ship. There is no way to plan for this.

The sun is mostly starboard heading east and port heading west. Take your pick.

My parents are looking to book a balcony, which side offers the best view of the ports for this cruise? Anyone know?

Thanks!

i know this is crazy but i'm PORT or die! i've never been disappointed. i guess i've just taken a side and stuck to it like the stock market lol.

Port side sees El Morro going into SJ and Starboard sees it going out.

Ships almost always pull straight into the docks in San Juan. but both sides will have views, possibly of another cruise ship.

Ships almost always pull into St. Thomas Haversight pier with the Starboard side to the dock.

The other ports are crap shoots as has been stated.

Thanks!

We did this itinerary in December on the Conquest and had a port-side OV. When docking each morning, from our window we had a wonderful view of the islands. I can't say for certain that the Magic will dock at the same piers or in the same direction, but when sailing in, we were always facing the port. Hope that helps!

• 3 months later...

We've been to each of these ports a couple of times and here's my suggestions:

St. Maarten: Port

St. Kitts: either side will have good views

San Juan: same as St. Kitts

Grand Turk: Port

With all the above, there could be another ship docked next to yours which would block your views or the ship could "back in" to the dock. Personally, I would book a port side cabin if possible.

Edit: just checked the port schedules and as of right now, the Magic will be alone in St. Maarten and St. Kitts; San Juan will be really crowded with ships from multiple lines and Glory will be in Grand Turk along with Magic. Just to give some perspective to the "other ships in port blocking your view" possibilities.

Edited by joepeka

It's not always a beautiful view facing land. On two ports this year we faced a working loading/unloading dock. While that seems ugly we got totally caught up in watching the process of loading and unloading containers.

We laugh about how disappointed we were at first but how quickly we got sucked in. In fact, at the second port when we realized we were facing the loading dock we said "yeah".

You just make lemonade.

i know this is crazy but i'm PORT or die! i've never been disappointed. i guess i've just taken a side and stuck to it like the stock market lol.

We have done the same thing with the starboard side! No reason why. The first time we got a balcony that is what we were booked and we have just stuck to it. There is always something to see!!

Never been to Saint Kitts going on the vista in January 2 adults three kids ages 11,11 and 13. Not keen on a group excursion is there anything nice to do within walking distance? Safe?

If you are not doing a ship excursion stay in the port shops. DO NOT venture beyond.:cool:

We always choose port. Just the way we have always picked, and we seem to get nice off-dock vistas. But, in a balcony there is no bad side, and when we do get dockside its enjoyable to watch the hustle and bustle and people almost missing the ship:)

Never been to Saint Kitts going on the vista in January 2 adults three kids ages 11,11 and 13. Not keen on a group excursion is there anything nice to do within walking distance? Safe?

St. Kitts has beautiful beaches but you need to take a cab. Not too much close to the port except the shopping/bar area built by the cruise lines.

We will be on this same cruise.

During sailaway, we like to hang out on the balcony and wave to the people lined up to see the ships leave, so we chose starboard. But there may not be many people at Jetty Park on Black Friday :)

You need to be port side JUST to watch San Felipe Del Morro and the walled city of Old San Juan as your ship enters San Juan Bay. Without a doubt one of the most beautiful and unique views in the Caribbean. Otherwise you'll be looking at a more industrial view.

Yes, the people on the starboard side will get the same view as the ship departs but I find it way better to begin your stop in San Juan with that view.

If they are non-smokers and on decks 6+ I would say go with starboard side to avoid the deck 5 port side smoking area second hand smoke wafting onto you balcony. If they are smokers not an issue.

This is how we choose. Any docking we miss a great view can always be made up by going up to another deck for a short time. Smoke from the smoking area of deck 5 can hit our balcony 24/7. Id rather have no smoke on my balcony and have to walk up a few flights for docking views.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You need to be port side JUST to watch San Felipe Del Morro and the walled city of Old San Juan as your ship enters San Juan Bay. Without a doubt one of the most beautiful and unique views in the Caribbean. Otherwise you'll be looking at a more industrial view.

Yes, the people on the starboard side will get the same view as the ship departs but I find it way better to begin your stop in San Juan with that view.

I can't wait to see this view! Thankful I don't have to wake up at 6:30am to do so from my balcony.

True but, that industrial view is of the Bacardi factory (mmmm..... rum!). ;)

100_1179_zps13d6dc31.jpg

The question cannot be answered.

Sometimes when the boat docks, it pulls head in, other ports they back in.

Whichever side they decide to choose, they will have plenty to see from their balcony.

There is a great view of the El Morrow fort as the ship pulls in and departs from San Juan harbor.

But one side sees it as they pull in, the other side sees it as the ship departs.

That time of year it will get dark early. Choose the side where you have the view from your balcony sailing in. It will likely be dark as you depart if it's scheduled for 5pm or after. Which side in port is a crap shoot. We did a similar itinerary on starboard and we faced away from town all 4 ports. 3 out of 4 sailaways were after 5 and in the dark.