Sunshine MDR: Are tables for 2 placed inches from each other?

Aldeya

On our recent NCL and Celebrity cruises the tables for 2 inches were placed literally inches from each other.

We were sitting so close to other 2 couples that you could call it table for 6. It's nice when you want to interact with others but it feels really awkward when you want a private table.

What is the situation on Sunshine with tables for 2? Is this something that all cruise lines do nowadays trying to put as many tables in MDR as possible?

We'll be on Sunshine in August and would really like to have a nice quiet dinner for 2 in MDR.

Thank you.

Edited by Aldeya

On our recent NCL and Celebrity cruises the tables for 2 inches were placed literally inches from each other.

We were sitting so close to other 2 couples that you could call it table for 6. It's nice when you want to interact with others but it feels really awkward when you want a private table.

What is the situation on Sunshine with tables for 2? Is this something that all cruise lines do nowadays trying to put as many tables in MDR as possible?

We'll be on Sunshine in August and would really like to have a nice quiet dinner for 2 in MDR.

Thank you.

We experienced the same on RCCI and yes, it's the same on Sunshine, tables close together. Cruised Sunshine this past May...had ATD...requested table for 2...met some folks...rest of cruise...table for 4!!....But yea, not very quiet or private for 2...

Although...this got me to thinking.....we did ATD on a liberty cruise a few years back.....one night we did have a table for 2 that was not jammed up against any other tables....not totaly quiet, but not as close....another night on same cruise we lucked out...got a booth by a window...now that was pretty nice for just the 2 of us....

We just got off the Sunshine and yes. We where at a table for four and next to us was two tables for two. They were so close that two couples that sat there carried on talking to each other about there day as if they where at a table for four. We could hear everything they where saying just like they could about us. I do not know how the servers even move around in there.

I can say that it is that way on Princess and Celebrity as well. We have found that you just need to scout out an area where two tops are not right next to each other (there are some scattered around the MDR) and request one of these. Or, we tend to eat late (8 or later) and we've lucked out and gotten a table for 4, for just the two of us.

Most mass market ships are like that. In the good old days larger tables were shared. As times changed, people became more antisocial and requests for tables for 2 increased. Tables for 6-8 or more became tables for 2 but still had to fit in the same floor space. Everyone on the ship still has to eat.

I was on Sunshine solo and they gave me a booth against a wall and there was ample room to the window table. My booth was useless. You'd have to be under age 9 to fit in the booth side. The other side had 2 chairs.

On Spirit class I was also solo and there were parts that the tables had ample space so I asked for that area every night. Very nice.

We were on the Sunshine last Fall. We had a table for 2 in the aft MDR. We were on the upper level, next to the glass railing, overlooking the lower level. We had our area all to ourselves. It was quiet, and made for a very nice experience. I think it truly is luck of the draw. We had assigned late dining if this makes a difference.

Thank you everyone for responses.

We have YTD this time on Sunshine.

I wonder if anyone on YTD e-mailed maitre'd and managed to book a table for two or it's only possible for traditional dining?

Edited by Aldeya

Most of them are only about 8" apart. The worst locations are the 2 tops with bench seating on one side and a chair on the other side. It's extremely difficult for the person on the booth side to stand and get out, without intruding on the table next to you. Do you present your front or back......:o

The best 2 tops are the tables that are B2B with 4 top booths on either side and walkways on each side. That way you have about 3 feet between your table and the booth beside you.

Thank you everyone for responses.

We have YTD this time on Sunshine.

I wonder if anyone on YTD e-mailed maitre'd and managed to book a table for two or it's only possible for traditional dining?

For your time dining all you have to do is when you enter the MDR you will be asked shared dining or alone. Just indicate you want to dine alone.

Also, for everyone that is saying 2" I believe that's an exaggeration. Sure, they are close, but not two inches. Look at a ruler to actually see how close two inches really is. Probably double that at the minimum.

Here's a picture

dining.jpg.5c69778a2ca78c943777f3d38fcdaaef.jpg

Most mass market ships are like that. In the good old days larger tables were shared. As times changed, people became more antisocial and requests for tables for 2 increased. Tables for 6-8 or more became tables for 2 but still had to fit in the same floor space. Everyone on the ship still has to eat.

It has nothing to do with being anti social.

My vacation time is limited and precious. I want to spend time with the people that I have chosen to vacation with. Not have idle chit chat with strangers.

Last December, we had YTD on Sunshine. We got around the 2" table issue by requesting a booth each night. We might have had to wait a few extra minutes but we will do this again! It worked perfectly and is the best solution I could find. Those tables that are almost on top of each other really get under my skin!

Thank you.

Yes they are.

Last December, we had YTD on Sunshine. We got around the 2" table issue by requesting a booth each night. We might have had to wait a few extra minutes but we will do this again! It worked perfectly and is the best solution I could find. Those tables that are almost on top of each other really get under my skin!

Thank you. This is what we will do.

Great tip. Just did some search and it looks like the booths are for 4 people.

So they put just 2 of you in the booth?

Edited by Aldeya

We always do YTD, and it is simple to ask for a table for two that is not close to others. We've never been refused, and we've never received odd looks for such a request. After the first night, if we like the table location and the servers, we ask for that specific table every night. Of course, we always eat at the beginning of YTD, so it's not often very busy yet.

We're not anti-social....my husband is shy, and I have hearing impairment that makes conversation with background noise very difficult for me.

We were on the Sunshine last Fall. We had a table for 2 in the aft MDR. We were on the upper level, next to the glass railing, overlooking the lower level. We had our area all to ourselves. It was quiet, and made for a very nice experience. I think it truly is luck of the draw. We had assigned late dining if this makes a difference.

Just got off Sunshine and had this as well. Great table, no complaints.

Ditto on Sunshine in Jan and May. There are back-to-back tables along the glass rail and 2 tops in the center of the starboard aisle that went from the front to the rear of the DR. Those tables were back-to-back as opposed to side by side.

Do you happen to remember the table number by chance? Thanks. I will be on her October 1. Maybe I can request that table.