ORDERING MULTIPLES OFF MENU-and not eating it all?

octcruise10

I was wondering if it is frowned upon to order several things from the menu each night to "try" but not necessarily eat it all? I don't like waste but I am a foodie so I like to try different things and since they are not offering the same things each night I thought it would be ok?

Any thoughts?

I was wondering if it is frowned upon to order several things from the menu each night to "try" but not necessarily eat it all? I don't like waste but I am a foodie so I like to try different things and since they are not offering the same things each night I thought it would be ok?

Any thoughts?

Go for it. I am usually a member of the "clean plate" club, but I do order multiples of items to try. Sometimes DH and I will share some things to try.

Don't worry, there will be plenty of people who tell you that you shouldn't, but YOU'RE ON VACATION!

Any thoughts?

Certainly it is wasteful to order a full entrée with the intent of only taking a bite and leaving the rest to be thrown out. Only you can decide when you have crossed your own line in not liking yourself for being wasteful vs your personal desire for pleasure as a foodie.

Why not offer to order those extras for table sharing? You might also see if they can prepare the dish as an appetizer so that the side items are not also wasted.

Over the years we've befriended several of the waitstaff. They usually bring out something extra for us to try.

One cruise, years ago Sis ordered the ribs. They were ice box cold. Ever since then the waitress brings out the ribs, piping hot, whether we asked for them or not. We might eat one or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Certainly it is wasteful to order a full entrée with the intent of only taking a bite and leaving the rest to be thrown out. Only you can decide when you have crossed your own line in not liking yourself for being wasteful vs your personal desire for pleasure as a foodie.

Why not offer to order those extras for table sharing? You might also see if they can prepare the dish as an appetizer so that the side items are not also wasted.

Entrees are already plated and even if you say you just want to try it they still bring the full portion.

It would be nice to try the main part of the dish without the associated side items, or a smaller portion of the main, but that seems to just slow things down or be more work than they want to do.

Any thoughts?

What we did on our last cruise was after eating in the MDR, we went down to the buffet to sample those entrées that were on the MDR menu but we did not order. I was surprised how few people were in the buffet area at 7:30 PM, maybe 30 at most. This was on the magic.

What we did on our last cruise was after eating in the MDR, we went down to the buffet to sample those entrées that were on the MDR menu but we did not order. I was surprised how few people were in the buffet area at 7:30 PM, maybe 30 at most. This was on the magic.

7:30 is late for eating at the buffet. Most before go when it first opens for dinner service.

7:30 is late for eating at the buffet. Most before go when it first opens for dinner service.

What difference does that make? It is still open and they are still serving and looked to be fully stocked with all the entrees. The OP can just take a small taste of the various entries and deserts they did not have in the MDR and not feel bad about wasting food...and even better, not have to wait for it.

I found the buffet area at that time to be one of the quietest places on the ship the entire cruise, aside from the various saunas and steam baths in the Cloud 9 Spa.

Edited by Badfinger

What we do is we order the entree we really want and then if we are interested in trying something we order it and share with the entire table. That usually means not much is wasted and the portion sizes are small compared to most landbased restaurants.

Entrees are already plated and even if you say you just want to try it they still bring the full portion.

It would be nice to try the main part of the dish without the associated side items, or a smaller portion of the main, but that seems to just slow things down or be more work than they want to do.

This has not been our experience.

We don't eat carbs. When we ordered our meals on Conquest in February and Pride in May, we asked our waiters to bring just the protein and veggies and not the potatoes nor rice nor other carb side dish because we didn't want to waste them. Our requests were honored every night.

Edited by stargate fan

Any thoughts?

The food on Carnival is not foodie worthy so order one entree or another to share and be done especially if you are seated with other people .

Hubby and I order one each and something new to try if it looks good. We share it but hubby eats more than I do. He grew up poor and can't stand to see food wasted.

I can't stand wasting food and I'm sad to see so much food goes to waste as many just taste things or pile food on dishes in the buffet:eek:

This is so true. I like to order the mac and cheese at sea day brunch as a side dish, but have only been able to get it as a side on one Carnival ship. Every other time they always bring the full entrée portion. And that seems crazy to me because in every restaurant I've been to, mac and cheese is offered as a side dish vs. an entrée. I think Carnival's way of food preparation is what causes a lot of waste. Their galleys are more like a factory production line than an actual kitchen where special requests are possible. I guess that is how they feed so many people each meal.

We would feel apologetic about wasting food. So much of it is in how we were raised. The portions are almost always too large for me, anyway. My mindset is that there is always another cruise that I can try a different offering. It's not the last chance!:)

The MDR is banquet style and food is cooked in large batches. If it isn't taken out to the diners, it then becomes excess and is thrown out at the end of the evening, any whos. Galleys don't pack up left overs to serve the next night and food isn't "cooked" to order like in a high class restaurant so there will always be waste.

Order what you want...excess food at your table or excess food in the kitchen goes to the same place. I'm sure the fishes love it when cruise ships pass overhead.

I'm one that won't "waste" food. But I also won't eat something that I do not like.

Rarely is there more than 2 items on the menu in either the entree or appetizer section that I want to try. Typically my other half will order the 2nd of those and we can try. We usually have a table of family so there is enough for everyone to try.

I will say that whatever the "didja" is or the special entree(s) of the night are always on my plate. Escargot...alligator...etc....

I don't like to waste and I want to save room for the melting cake. The buffet is a good idea for trying things, never thought of that. The appetizers are small so trying two of those can work, esp if you share with your partner, then you can try 4!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums