Use of walkee talkies onboard?

Lorrie458

I would like to be able to keep in touch with family especially the kids. Was thinking of buying walkee talkies but not sure if they are even operable on the ship. Has anyone used them and if so can you suggest what brand worked the best?

Thank you!

Used them several years ago when "the Kids" sailed with us. They worked great with little problems except for reception through several decks sometimes.

Keep in mind the privacy of others and they will help you keep in touch with the kids on sea days around the ship.

Might want to look into the Carnival app that lets you keep in touch by cell phone text if you have phones for the kids.

I found they only work very "spotty" with lots of interference and tend to be LOUD with static and other voices on similar channels... Plus the kids HATED bringing the around and left them in the room (and on the Lido, and on a food tray and on a table.... ) now it works better is to get the $5 social media plan and use FB messenger or other messenger app... If the kids have cell phones...

I found they only work very "spotty" with lots of interference and tend to be LOUD with static and other voices on similar channels... Plus the kids HATED bringing the around and left them in the room (and on the Lido, and on a food tray and on a table.... ) now it works better is to get the $5 social media plan and use FB messenger or other messenger app... If the kids have cell phones...

They don't have phones but I'm thinking of getting them some prepaid ones so they can atleast have the app. Does the app take up data?

The app uses the ship wifi and does not touch your data plan. The only access they have is to the online funtimes and the messaging built into the app. Any iPod should even work for this.

We did walkie-talkies on the Fantasy a few years ago. That was a smaller ship and they still didn't work that well with all the metal. If you were on the same deck or same end of the ship they may work.

I use these, I love them and they work great. Only at the very farthest reaches of most boats, say front deck one to rear deck 11 do we see any issue with communication.

Midland GXT1000VP4 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio

I also try to be very discreet with them as I know many people consider them an imposition, but I cannot imagine cruising with kids without them. IF the hub app is dependable communication, it may replace these though.

Was checking out the app on my iPad and I see our ship (Conquest) is not supported. I sent carnival a message on their social media and this was their response. I didn't expect them to get back so fast, didn't even think they read their comments but I was wrong!

Guess they do read their comments because not even 5 min after I posted they sent me a responce...lol

Well not good news. Carnival just got back to me and here was their response Incase anyone else planned on using the app to keep in touch with family. Guess I will be investing in walkee talkies or creating a Facebook for my daughter and just getting the Internet plan for social media so we can communicate on the ship.

Their response:

On board the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Ecstasy, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Glory, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Pride, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Triumph and Carnival Vista.

The remainder of the fleet will be within the next 12 to 18 months. The latest update the app will be available on the Carnival Imagination on August 4 and Carnival Valor on August 19. -Mary

It might be better to pick up some cheap tablets?

They have iPad mini's but I don't trust them walking around with them. The phones were very reasonable on eBay. But I guess it's pointless now anyways since the Conquest is not supported by the app :-(

Edited by Lorrie458

Thanks. Looks like I'll be buying 2 social media internet packages so we can atleast message each other.

Personally we just make plans, use the onboard phone and notes in the cabin.

Personally we just make plans, use the onboard phone and notes in the cabin.

My little guy well not that little he's 10 will mostly be in camp carnival, it's my 13 year old I wanted to keep tabs on. I know she will make friends and be all over the boat so I was hoping the app would work but no luck. She's a girl, I just worry about her.

Mine also have private channels between the bands and I have only heard someone else on them once and had to switch channels.

Exactly. Get ones with the private channels and you will never hear others on your channel. Walkie talkies have worked great for our 4 cruises with kids and I would not dream of being without them.

We used them to keep in touch with our boys on our cruise in August 15 and they worked just fine. We will be using them again in November on the Conquest since that ship also doesn't have the HUB app.

Our boys enjoyed going to the camps and doing the different activities they offered. Since they are old enough to sign themselves out it was nice for them to call us and say "i'm done, where are you guys". That's basically what we used them for, otherwise they were turned off. I know there are some people that say they are annoying, but I don't understand why. As long as you keep the volume down and are mindful of people around you (much like a cell phone) it really shouldn't bother anyone around you. I did see quite a few other families using them as well.

Exactly. Get ones with the private channels and you will never hear others on your channel. Walkie talkies have worked great for our 4 cruises with kids and I would not dream of being without them.

Thank you for the info. Any particular brands you suggest or use?

We used them to keep in touch with our boys on our cruise in August 15 and they worked just fine. We will be using them again in November on the Conquest since that ship also doesn't have the HUB app.

Our boys enjoyed going to the camps and doing the different activities they offered. Since they are old enough to sign themselves out it was nice for them to call us and say "i'm done, where are you guys". That's basically what we used them for, otherwise they were turned off. I know there are some people that say they are annoying, but I don't understand why. As long as you keep the volume down and are mindful of people around you (much like a cell phone) it really shouldn't bother anyone around you. I did see quite a few other families using them as well.

Thants basically what the use would be for them with us also. So I know when she leaes Camp Carnival and can meet up. Im not trying to be on them 24/7. I Understand people want to relax and i would never be that rude.

Edited by Lorrie458