2nd time on Carnival, 1st fun, 2nd gross...

luv2sleep

We just got back from our local Carnival cruise. This was my second time sailing on Carnival. I had a good experience the first time so I booked another trip. I hate to report that I had such a negative experience and will likely never sail Carnival again. It was a 4 night cruise. Yesterday morning after 3 nights sleeping in room, I flung back the covers further than I guess I had before and discovered a body fluid stain and other areas that looked liked they came from a dirty body parts or possibly other bodily substance. Oh my gosh I was beyond disgusted. I had slept in that bed for 3 nights and it looks like the sheets were not changed between us and the prior guests. I tried to call customer service but was placed on hold a couple of times. I went down there and talked to them in person. They called someone to basically smooth things over who offered to change all of the linens, vacuum, clean, and disinfect the room. That didn't help me feel much better. I stayed out of the room for the bulk of the day. I hated being in there. Thankfully last night was our last night.

I then started noticing how even though there are hand sanitizer stands everywhere no one seemed to use them except us. I then was sanitizing my hands before and after I got my food because I was touching tongs and other utensils and equipment that others had been. I was just really grossed out in general so now I was on high alert. On Disney Cruise Line (DCL) they hand everyone walking in to an eating area a hand sanitizing wipe (except on deck where they are located at the various places to eat for you to self serve).

The last thing I noticed that no one was cleaning common surfaces like they do on DCL (banisters, buttons, door handles, etc.). On DCL it seems like they are constantly cleaning these items throughout the cruise. Makes sense because they can't possibly do all of that cleaning between trips and have it be effective. But, low and behold they were starting to clean them as we were disembarking today.

I am an easy going, laid back person, about budget travel. Not everyone can afford to travel and pay more than others can afford so I tend to not look down on cheaper cruise lines and accommodations. Well that's over. I am just so grossed out and so so glad to be home. I had noticed the issue with the hand sanitizer usage and general cleaning during the cruise before but had not paid that much attention to it. Dealing with the fact that the gross sheet thing just magnified everything else for me yesterday unfortunately. :(

You waited 3 days before you checked your bedding? :eek: Sorry but that is kind on you. First thing I do is wipe things down, check bedding and any other areas that is not common areas to check.

I have been to, too many "BATES" motels to not check before I crawl into bed.

Hope you learned something from your experience. As for going to customer service after the 3rd day on a 4 day cruise it sounds like you were looking for a hand out. Not that you were, but if I was back of the counter I know I would roll my eyes and say yes sir, we will change your bedding at once and call it a day.

Not sure I understand the fascination some people have with hand sanitizers. I wash my hands. I don't use the hand sanitizers. Never gotten sick on a ship. Maybe I'm lucky.

The bed sheets would definitely gross me out. Luckily, I've never had that happen, but I'm sure I'd have the same reaction if I did.

As for Carnival not cleaning, I remember someone recently posting outbreak information for different cruise lines and Carnival fared well on that list. So whether or not I see people cleaning, until I get sick, or Carnival's rate of outbreak gets bad, not something I'll ever worry about. Just too many fun things to do on the ship than witty about there's using hand sanitizer or Carnival cleaning stuff.

Edited by Hoosierpop

Oh wow no. Not at all looking for a hand out. I am not that type of person. Just a mom cruising with her child.

It was low down in the bed towards the end and I have never completely flipped my bedsheets all the way down before to check them. I've never had reason to. I've never stayed in any Bates motel types before and have never had a bad experience. Who knew you should almost completely strip your bed to check for bodily fluid stains from other people? I had no idea people had to do that. Interesting and disgusting at the same time!

Well I posted to help other ppl who might be considering Carnival. Hopefully it helps someone. I won't keep following as I didn't post to get any negativity. Good luck to you all and happy cruising!

I find that Carnival does a great job with cleaning - I can't count high enough for the number of times I saw workers carrying buckets and cleaning supplies (and saw them actively cleaning surfaces and public spaces) on the Pride a week ago.

And I'll freely admit, I don't use the hand sanitizer on the ships. I hate the stuff. It gives people a false sense of cleanliness. I would much rather wash my hands and then go eat.

Carnival has a very good record when it comes to Norovirus (better than many other mainstream cruiselines) despite not forcing the hand sanitizer onto people (like Royal and DCL). Whatever they do works.

Well I posted to help other ppl who might be considering Carnival. Hopefully it helps someone. I won't keep following as I didn't post to get any negativity. Good luck to you all and happy cruising!

I did not mean to sound negative, just some history on a person who uses motels several times a year. You really want to be grossed out bring a black light with you. :eek:

You waited 3 days before you checked your bedding? :eek: Sorry but that is kind on you. First thing I do is wipe things down, check bedding and any other areas that is not common areas to check.

I have been to, too many "BATES" motels to not check before I crawl into bed.

Hope you learned something from your experience. As for going to customer service after the 3rd day on a 4 day cruise it sounds like you were looking for a hand out. Not that you were, but if I was back of the counter I know I would roll my eyes and say yes sir, we will change your bedding at once and call it a day.

The poster didn't wait till the 3rd day on purpose. She stated she pulled back the bedding further that time and then went to GS to report it.

As for the hand sanitizer use, people are using it less because it's been found it's not recommended. It's hard on the skin, doesn't kill viruses. Many are opting for hand washing, and some ships now have wash stations. People can glare at me for not seeing me use it, but I do the soap and water thing.

I do not use the alcohol santizers either. In fact, I hate them and think they give people a real false sense of security. They are completely worthless against Noro. Im not a germaphobe at all but on cruise ships Im extra cautious about washing my hands. Thank goodness Carnival Magic had plenty of hand washing stations. Royal Caribbean does not on any of the ships Ive been on.

Royal can also be forceful with the hand sanitizing. Strangely enough, they have way more Noro outbreaks than Carnival it seems.

The whole bedding thing is just nasty and uncalled for. I will chalk that up to a lazy cabin attendant. Id be upset too

Edited by ryano

My personal opinion is ALWAYS check any bed your going to sleep in period. Bed bugs people!!!! I always pull back the bedding, pull up the sheets and look at the mattress and under the bed and at the headboard. I NEVER put my clothes in any type of drawer unless I look first and Always make sure it is up to my standards.

I hate to say it but you could have had wet feet or sat on the bed after being wet and it could make a stain thru the bedding. Just check first to be safe.

I have been on a few Carnival cruises and have always seen people cleaning things all the time. I however to bring my own Clorox wipes and wipe down stuff myself but that's me. I always wash my hands and DO use the hand sanitizers as well. I personally have the small bath and body hand sanitizers in my pockets and use.

Honestly the bedsheets issue is what threw me over. The rest of it I could have let go. I was just understandably in a state of freak out after that and noticing everything.

Sorry for what happened and for some peoples lack of sympathy.

I do find a lot of cleaning of common areas are done early in the morning before most get up.

I agree with others that the bedsheets issue is gross - I would have complained also, and I can understand that it leaves a lingering "icky" feeling.

I NEVER use the hand sanitizer. I do not enter the buffet or dining room unless I have just washed with soap and water before dining. Sanitizers are more effective than nothing, but not as effective as good, old fashioned soap and water.

I am very conscious of not touching things when I walk around the ship - I don't hold onto railings, I don't touch elevator buttons (always someone standing at the front to push for others), and I just generally don't touch things.

I have never been on a ship, however, where I have not passed multiple crew members each and every day wiping down railings, doorways and windows on all levels of the ship.

Ewww, I would have been totally grossed out, too. Now I will check my bed next cruise, all the way to the feet.

I do use the sanitizer but also wash my hands a lot! I find many people in all walks of life that do not wash their hands, unfortunately. So the best defense is to keep my hands as clean as possible.

I do, however, always see Carnival staff cleaning the railings, door pulls and other areas. One morning on our last cruise, sitting on deck 10 Lido near the window, a crew member with a large bucket of soapy water and wearing rubber gloves was methodically cleaning the entire port side deck railing. They are excellent at keeping those ships clean!

There are studies that have been done that hand sanitizers like Purell kill good germs along with the bad. I wash my hands with normal soap, I rarely use alcohol based sanitizers unless it's my last option. I have a functioning immune system, so I don't think twice about touching railings or elevator buttons.

Edited by gfountain1

There are studies that have been done that hand sanitizers like Purell kill good germs along with the bad. I wash my hands with normal soap, I rarely use alcohol based sanitizers unless it's my last option. I have a functioning immune system, so I don't think twice about touching railings or elevator buttons.

What do you think happens when you wash your hands? It kills the bad germs, but somehow magically spares the good ones?

What do you think happens when you wash your hands? It kills the bad germs, but somehow magically spares the good ones?

While hand soaps undeniably kill off some good bacteria as well, hand sanitizers contain higher concentrations of alcohol which exacerbate things.

I find it hard to believe the sheets weren't changed - they have such systems in place!

I wonder if it is possible they were old/stained sheets? i.e., clean but stained? not to say they shouldn't perhaps been retired from service, but if they are clean, then no biggie.

We just got back from our local Carnival cruise. This was my second time sailing on Carnival. I had a good experience the first time so I booked another trip. I hate to report that I had such a negative experience and will likely never sail Carnival again. It was a 4 night cruise. Yesterday morning after 3 nights sleeping in room, I flung back the covers further than I guess I had before and discovered a body fluid stain and other areas that looked liked they came from a dirty body parts or possibly other bodily substance. Oh my gosh I was beyond disgusted. I had slept in that bed for 3 nights and it looks like the sheets were not changed between us and the prior guests. I tried to call customer service but was placed on hold a couple of times. I went down there and talked to them in person. They called someone to basically smooth things over who offered to change all of the linens, vacuum, clean, and disinfect the room. That didn't help me feel much better. I stayed out of the room for the bulk of the day. I hated being in there. Thankfully last night was our last night.

I then started noticing how even though there are hand sanitizer stands everywhere no one seemed to use them except us. I then was sanitizing my hands before and after I got my food because I was touching tongs and other utensils and equipment that others had been. I was just really grossed out in general so now I was on high alert. On Disney Cruise Line (DCL) they hand everyone walking in to an eating area a hand sanitizing wipe (except on deck where they are located at the various places to eat for you to self serve).

The last thing I noticed that no one was cleaning common surfaces like they do on DCL (banisters, buttons, door handles, etc.). On DCL it seems like they are constantly cleaning these items throughout the cruise. Makes sense because they can't possibly do all of that cleaning between trips and have it be effective. But, low and behold they were starting to clean them as we were disembarking today.

I am an easy going, laid back person, about budget travel. Not everyone can afford to travel and pay more than others can afford so I tend to not look down on cheaper cruise lines and accommodations. Well that's over. I am just so grossed out and so so glad to be home. I had noticed the issue with the hand sanitizer usage and general cleaning during the cruise before but had not paid that much attention to it. Dealing with the fact that the gross sheet thing just magnified everything else for me yesterday unfortunately. :(

In a buffet type setting if I'm not going to wash my hands after getting the food, I won't use the hand I touched the tongs with to eat my food. And I don't trust hand sanitizers.

Edited by Saint Greg

Not sure I understand the fascination some people have with hand sanitizers. I wash my hands. I don't use the hand sanitizers. Never gotten sick on a ship. Maybe I'm lucky.

The bed sheets would definitely gross me out. Luckily, I've never had that happen, but I'm sure I'd have the same reaction if I did.

As for Carnival not cleaning, I remember someone recently posting outbreak information for different cruise lines and Carnival fared well on that list. So whether or not I see people cleaning, until I get sick, or Carnival's rate of outbreak gets bad, not something I'll ever worry about. Just too many fun things to do on the ship than witty about there's using hand sanitizer or Carnival cleaning stuff.

Well since the hand sanitizers are basically useless and don't really do anything (outside of making us FEEL good about it), that never bothers me.

Messy bed sheets though are quite gross. I suspect it's more likely they got dirty sheets (whether stained to where it didn't come out when washed, or they messed up and got non-washed ones) than that you missed it for 3 days. Either way, that's pretty bad and definitely something to complain to them about.

Most cruise lines try to do their cleaning of public areas at night or when in port, when not many people are around. I suspect it got cleaned fairly regularly, you just never got to see it.

I've been in a restroom stall and heard a person come out the stall and exit the restroom without washing their hands. I've seen people just walk out without washing also. Now, I wonder if those people NEVER use the hand sanitizer because it gives them a false sense of security? Carnival spends thousands on hand sanitizer just to give its cruisers a false sense of security? Ok

I find it hard to believe the sheets weren't changed - they have such systems in place!

I wonder if it is possible they were old/stained sheets? i.e., clean but stained? not to say they shouldn't perhaps been retired from service, but if they are clean, then no biggie.

That's my opinion also. I don't think Carnival replaces their sheets that often. They use hot water and that sets stains in the sheets, but they are clean.