No Longer Serve Lobster Tail?

danny8826

My relatives recently went on the Baja Mexico Cruise. I am not sure if they were on the Imagination or the Inspiration, but they told me that during one formal night, lobster tails were not serve.

Does Carnival stop serving lobster tails or is it only on this route?

Thank you.

Danny

My relatives recently went on the Baja Mexico Cruise. I am not sure if they were on the Imagination or the Inspiration, but they told me that during one formal night, lobster tails were not serve.

Thank you.

Danny

6 days and longer for lobster tail.

Lobster tails are served on the first formal night on 5 day and longer cruises, no longer served on 4 day cruises. stopped several months ago.

6 days and longer for lobster tail.

Thank you both for the quick response.

Danny

Thank you.

Danny

They very publicly made this announcement and change about 1 year ago. Sadly it was just before my families 4 day Baja trip. They could still order them off of the steakhouse menu for a charge of $20.

They very publicly made this announcement and change about 1 year ago. Sadly it was just before my families 4 day Baja trip. They could still order them off of the steakhouse menu for a charge of $20.

Thank you. That's too bad because we are thinking of a short cruise, but would be nice to have lobster. Guess, we need to reconsider.

Edited by danny8826

Thank you. That's too bad because we are thinking of a short cruise, but would be nice to have lobster. Guess, we need to reconsider.

The lobster tails in the MDR are "okay" at best ... typically they are tough though. They are certainly NOT the highlight of my culinary experience on Carnival and I would not "rethink" a cruise based on not getting lobster. I say book the cruise and then plan on going to a nice lobster dinner AFTER your cruise ... will give you something to look forward to, in order to get rid of those post-cruise-blues :)

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

You wouldn't go just because there is no lobster? Why? There are lot of other great entree selections on the menu besides lobster.

The lobster tails in the MDR are "okay" at best ... typically they are tough though. They are certainly NOT the highlight of my culinary experience on Carnival and I would not "rethink" a cruise based on not getting lobster. I say book the cruise and then plan on going to a nice lobster dinner AFTER your cruise ... will give you something to look forward to, in order to get rid of those post-cruise-blues :)

Cheers!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

I wouldn't book or not book a cruise based on Lobster either, but my most recent cruise the lobster on formal night was outstanding, not tough at all

If lobster is an important part of your cruise experience I certainly respect your reconsidering your plans. Your enjoyment of the time is important.

All the "I wouldn't do what you are doing" responses on this thread are just the way things are on Cruise Critic.

Make your choice and I hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Edited by snowskier
  • Like 1

I was pleased with the vast majority of the food on our 7 night cruise in June. I did not like the lobster tails. This is coming from a Mainer who has eaten hundreds of lobsters. The lobster on our cruise was easily the worst lobster I have ever tasted. I have been hesitant to say this as I was thoroughly impressed by every other aspect of our cruise. However, the lobster was just gross. Take it for that. Who knows? Maybe ours was the only bad ones.

Lobster tails are served on the first formal night on 5 day and longer cruises, no longer served on 4 day cruises. stopped several months ago.

Our cruise on the Fantasy back in February was a 5 day cruise and there was only 1 formal night. Lobster was not on the menu as a freebie. My dh had to pay an extra $20 for it.

I will add to my insult above that if you have ever tasted a lobster tail cooked in Maine anywhere and then tried the one offered in the MDR, then you would agree with my assessment. I do not enjoy stating this. I am a huge Carnival fan. I believe they excel in so many areas. I just want to be honest. With this, I bow out and hope for no repercussions because I honestly love Carnival.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

I will add to my insult above that if you have ever tasted a lobster tail cooked in Maine anywhere and then tried the one offered in the MDR, then you would agree with my assessment. I do not enjoy stating this. I am a huge Carnival fan. I believe they excel in so many areas. I just want to be honest. With this, I bow out and hope for no repercussions because I honestly love Carnival.

I have to agree. I'm not a true Mainer (married one and mother to two and only a real Mainer will understand this distinction) but have lived in Maine 10 years and enjoyed many lobsters. I find lobsters on cruises to be very chewy and tough with no sweetness. I don't think this is a Carnival issue but a cruise issue. I have had chewy lobsters on other lines. I agree there is so much other great food on Carnival - but if you want great lobster then take a New England cruise that stops in Maine. You won't be disappointed!

Just because it was not the best lobster or the highlight of our cruise, does not mean we should all shrug our shoulders and say ok, no more lobster. The lobster alone is not the problem, but the conglomerate loss of perk after perk after perk is a problem.

I have to agree. I'm not a true Mainer (married one and mother to two and only a real Mainer will understand this distinction) but have lived in Maine 10 years and enjoyed many lobsters. I find lobsters on cruises to be very chewy and tough with no sweetness. I don't think this is a Carnival issue but a cruise issue. I have had chewy lobsters on other lines. I agree there is so much other great food on Carnival - but if you want great lobster then take a New England cruise that stops in Maine. You won't be disappointed!

I am happy for your reply. This might also be a matter of me being spoiled. I might like the lobster there better if I had not grown up swapping the clams I dug for lobster at the wharf. I have always had the best you can get when it comes to lobster. It is likely there are other foods from other regions that I love and have no clue how much better it would be if I had it while visiting that region. I honestly found the rest of the food very good. I found the lobster to be horrible. Then again, this was the only lobster I have ever had while outside of Maine.

Just because it was not the best lobster or the highlight of our cruise, does not mean we should all shrug our shoulders and say ok, no more lobster. The lobster alone is not the problem, but the conglomerate loss of perk after perk after perk is a problem.

Lobster is basic food found in any grocery store. It's not a perk.

Lobster is basic food found in any grocery store. It's not a perk.

Following that logic everything that is served on the ship including in the steakhouse is basic food found in any and all grocery stores. The point is that it was offered and now it isn't. Is that enough for me to decide to not take a cruise? No. It doesn't matter what restaurant in the world that you go to it is all a conglomeration of what is available in a local market that you need to put together and make taste good. Not that difficult for someone like me that loves to cook and finesse flavors but not everyone likes to do that.

I was pleased with the vast majority of the food on our 7 night cruise in June. I did not like the lobster tails. This is coming from a Mainer who has eaten hundreds of lobsters. The lobster on our cruise was easily the worst lobster I have ever tasted. I have been hesitant to say this as I was thoroughly impressed by every other aspect of our cruise. However, the lobster was just gross. Take it for that. Who knows? Maybe ours was the only bad ones.

Will agree with both on most points. :p

I have had over cooked, too salty, lobster and occasionally a great one on their ships. It is all in what the cooks know. The broiled tails in the steak house we have tried were very good.

I am also not a true Mainer, but I married one 40 years ago. I am from away. You know what I am talking about! :D

They serve spiny florida lobster, not Maine...there is a difference. BUT, I still order two servings on lobster night...florida lobster is better than no lobster.:D

agreed. and don't sail ncl if you're looking for lobster because they have removed free lobster from all sailings. the only way to get lobster on ncl is to pay for a specialty restaurant and then pay extra for the lobster.

They serve spiny florida lobster, not Maine...there is a difference. BUT, I still order two servings on lobster night...florida lobster is better than no lobster.:D

I have only had the spiny lobster served once on my cruises. It certainly will not say 'Maine' lobster on the menu if it is not. That would be a legal issue Carnival would not want to deal with.

And I would rather have no lobster than the spiny wanna be. :)

I'm from Michigan but visiting my sister in Maine as I type this. I've had 2 lobster rolls so far and we're having whole lobsters for dinner tonight. I do know what you are talking about.

However, the lobster tails that we had on our B2B this past January were pretty good. Certainly no comparison, though.