White night? Well...

lisiamc

So for months I've heard how wonderful White Night was. 'You must go'. 'You'll love it'. 'So much fun!' Tonight should have been our first White Night. We were ready. We were primed. We were wearing white. We went to Deck 9 a few minutes before 6.30.

Only to find that everyone else must have been there much earlier. We had a group of six. We saw one table with two chairs still free, and a few tables with one chair left. No tables for four were left, certainly no tables for six were left. No extra chairs. No hope of getting near the buffet and sitting down to eat.

So we went to the Living Room for a drink or two, and then joined the other White Night refugees (and there were quite a few!) for dinner in Discoveries, which was delicious as usual. Afterwards we went up to Deck 9 to see what was happening. We found a well-used table, now empty, and sat down.

People were drinking and dancing, but by now, as they were getting up to dance, crew members were coming along and taking their tables away. Before 11pm, the DJ had adjourned to the Living Room, and the party was over.

I have to say that I was not terribly impressed. To be enticed for months, heavily encouraged to participate, and then to find that there wasn't actually room for everyone who wanted to participate, and especially not for newbies who didn't know to come extra-extra-early, was a big disappointment.

I am sorry you did not have a good experience because it was a great night. I do agree there were a lot of early table takers last night.

However,we watched the maitre ds set up extra tables for groups well into the evening but it is a popular event and sometimes groups have to split up and enjoy the company of others.

The poor staff have to start clearing away otherwise they would still be moving furniture with noise hitting Deck 8 when guests were wanting to sleep. However they were not taking out tables until nearly 9.45 which was the end of the stage event. This too is the reason why Marcio had to move to the living room, actually last night was one of the latest disco on deck finishes I've seen for a while.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise, it has been very good so far I think.

Edited by uktog

The cruise as a whole has been excellent, and we actually had a great time last night, by giving up and not attending the White Night. We did ask if there were any more tables/chairs, but were told no. After a while, when we could see that drinks and food were going to be a struggle, and chairs impossible, we decided to do something easier. I don't go on holiday to work that hard!

We are looking forward to the Azamazing Evening.

I am sorry you did not have a good experience because it was a great night. I do agree there were a lot of early table takers last night.

However,we watched the maitre ds set up extra tables for groups well into the evening but it is a popular event and sometimes groups have to split up and enjoy the company of others.

The poor staff have to start clearing away otherwise they would still be moving furniture with noise hitting Deck 8 when guests were wanting to sleep. However they were not taking out tables until nearly 9.45 which was the end of the stage event. This too is the reason why Marcio had to move to the living room, actually last night was one of the latest disco on deck finishes I've seen for a while.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise, it has been very good so far I think.

We loved the Rio White Nights party moored off Copacabana beach, watching the stunning fireworks-- totally a bucket list experience. Since it was New Years Eve, the party went past midnight and was terrific. But because it was NYE, I don't think any pax could reasonably expect it to be quiet at 11 pm... I expect the same will be true when we are in Benoa, Bali this NYE on Journey.

I have found that increasingly we need to be on deck to get a table for White Night by 6 pm latest. The word is out on what a great night it is! Also the event does have to move indoors by about 10:00 pm, not only to allow the guys to put away all the tables and chairs but also because the winds across the deck increase as the ship goes out to sea.

I'm sorry you missed such a fabulous night lisiamc, but maybe it's a reason to book another Azamara cruise! :)

I have found that increasingly we need to be on deck to get a table for White Night by 6 pm latest.

On our recent TA on Quest, my husband and I went on to Deck 9 to grab a drink after our time ashore and before we went into get changed. The staff were just starting to clear the loungers ( 4.30 pm I think)

We were joined by 2 acquaintances who were already changed and ready, to make sure they got a good seat!

It seems to vary cruise to cruise. Last week 1845 lots of tables available but there were a lot more 2s and a lot less bigger group of 4-6 as we have this trip. We were at sea because there are no port nights he could use and so had to be mindful of the wind which did pick up mid evenibg again I guess another reason why table clearing was prompt.

The cruise as a whole has been excellent, and we actually had a great time last night, by giving up and not attending the White Night. We did ask if there were any more tables/chairs, but were told no. After a while, when we could see that drinks and food were going to be a struggle, and chairs impossible, we decided to do something easier. I don't go on holiday to work that hard!

We are looking forward to the Azamazing Evening.

Sorry you missed your first White Night. Were it not for some of our friends (we were a group of 7) three weeks ago we would have been in the same position as you.

The White Night Buffet is always very good. This time it was spectacular. Hope you can experience it on your next Azamara cruise

I have found that increasingly we need to be on deck to get a table for White Night by 6 pm latest. The word is out on what a great night it is! Also the event does have to move indoors by about 10:00 pm, not only to allow the guys to put away all the tables and chairs but also because the winds across the deck increase as the ship goes out to sea.

I'm sorry you missed such a fabulous night lisiamc, but maybe it's a reason to book another Azamara cruise! :)

I like your thinking! :D In fact, we did book on board yesterday for 2018. We will attempt the White Night again in January, our next time on Azamara, and start a tad earlier.

I always felt another reason the cleaning up took place early and the DJ moved was dye to take 8 guess that can hear the music, dancing and everything moved around. I go to the party- sometimes dance and sometimes just hang out.. but if i go to my cabin before 11 it sounds louder and more wild than it is. i also been on and the wind blew music everywhere and Russ finally stopped the show.

I do skip the buffet as if in a great port i can be off ship to 8 or 9 and shower and dash up.

It's a pity you missed out on a seat for the buffet. I have to say I have never had an issue getting seated at say 6.30pm, but they vary I guess. I have done a few Suez cruises and don't remember it being an issue. Food on the last two in September/October was much better than I had in June. Really good food.

I didn't try to go to the White Night Party on my cruise, because the next morning was an early, early tour departure and I wanted to be rested. I was sorry to miss it, but it was a decision I had to make; maybe next time it will work out better.

So sorry you had a bad experience on White Night. We have always enjoyed them, admittedly it is rather crowded sometimes. Just be patient.......

Hope you have another opportunity to attend a White Night.:):):)

Are they still serving the wonderful escargot on White Night? Looking forward to sailing on Azamara again.

They did not - perhaps because of the ports we stocked up at. For me there is a new favourite tempura prawns cooked to order they are divine!

I'm sorry you missed the White Night party - as has been suggested, however, this could spur you to book another Azamara cruise!

We were in a similar predicament last month. We returned to town in the late afternoon (following the morning's unsatisfactory shore ex), to spend some time exploring lovely Montenegro. I'm so glad we did! The famed felines were out and about - getting ready for their own evening activities - and the lighting for photographs was spectacular!

By the time we returned to the ship the party was in full swing, there were very few chairs available at tables on either deck, and only 2 lobster tails remained! Happily, we managed to receive the last lobster but never found satisfactory seating. We stayed to applaud the Crew Wave but opted to pass on the remainder of the party.

So from now on for us, White Nights will mean either arrive early, or make other plans.

The positive evolution of the White Night concept seems to have led to an increase in passenger participation.

The crew deserves congratulations for fine tuning the occasion. We were particularly well served on the outstanding evening in the fjords in August.

And, ckearly, one should now anticipate that space may be at a premium.

Thanks to the OP for drawing attention to that concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums