British Passport Holders Vietnam Visas obtained by Azamara ...help Bonnie?

santrah

I know that British Passport holders with a least 6m on their passport are exempt from visas however, the 10 December cruise on the journey stops at 3 ports in Vietnam and the wording on the embassy website is a follows:-

Note: According to Vietnam immigration law, to be eligible for visa exemption, your passport must have at least six months validity. If you wish to enter Viet Nam at least two consecutive times without visa, the next entry must be at least 30 days after the previous exit. If you enter Viet Nam the first time with visa, then the next entry without visa can be less than 30 days after your previous exit)

Therefore as we are visiting three ports is this regarded as three entries or because we are in Vietnam waters is it counted as one entry?... do we need visas and if so..WILL AZAMARA OBTAIN THEM FOR US??

I emailed the Vietnamese Embassy but their reply did not really answer my question! It was more of an automated reply system.

Bonnie, can you confirm that if we do need visas will Azamara obtain them for us and do we need to provide photos? Many thanks.

I am sure Bonnie will answer soon, but I can say when we went to Vietnam, three ports on a Singapore to Hong Kong cruise with Azamara using UK passports Azamara took care of all the visa arrangements onboard we did not even provide photos (I think if they need photos they use your security one they take on boarding)

Edited by uktog

I asked Ryszard, the Hotel Director onboard the Azamara Journey. Below is his response.

MY RESPONSE is the same as Ryszard's, you should err on the side of caution. I was on the Dubai-Singapore sailing last November and there were over 40 guests who could not disembark in two ports of India due to either lack of visas or having an e-visa instead of a hard copy visa for India. Our ship personnel had in the past been able to obtain last minute "group visas" but not this time. It resulted in much extra work by the staff and disappointment by the guests, and stress all the way around. So irregardless of what has happened in the past, I'd agree with HD Ryszard and get a visa. Obtaining visas is each individual's responsibility, not the company's.

"Guests will need a visa and it is, or was, $35 p/p. And the good news is that we can help with that onboard. Having said that, not always are we able to help and ultimately every traveler is fully responsible for their own visas (if required) and to check on the latest immigration requirements. Please note that immigration rules might change anytime as well as visa fee."

Having see a couple refused boarding on a cruise, no visas, we always manage our own requirements and that includes cruises.

Two years ago we travelled in SE Asia and entered Vietnam twice and that required a multi visit visa, I would urge anyone to check the exact requirements before embarking on any trip where visas may be required.

I'm sure that of Visas are needed the ship will get them. In October at the M&M I told the head of guest relations that UK passport holders didn't need a visa. She hadn't been told that by Azamara and, having checked that it was true, was very grateful as she said that we had saved her a lot of work organising visas for all British passengers. She was so grateful that we got a few extra perks such as being invited to be VIPs at the Azamazing evening along with the top suite guests!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think the problem here is that with some people Azamaras default position of "you need a visa" causes the problems. Several times onboard I have met cautious people who followed that advice spent a lot of money on visas (and the very heavy handling fees of Azamaras recommended supplier) and are aggrieved because it turns out the visa was not needed. In each case they had thought that was the case (Vietnam and Sri Lanka were the two specifics, the latter could be done by a no cost e visa) but had spent money based on Azamaras position. This is causing some folks and their TAs to ignore the cruiseline advice by default because of past stories.

There are countries (India for example) where 100% it's needed.

It would be very helpful if Azamara could give definitive guidance specific to the ports ahead of the cruise. Given the difference in rules this guideline could cover the top types of passport from their annual guest demographic - USA, Canada, UK etc. Where they know the visa requirement applies to everyone this can be explicitly stated as applying regardless of passport type and remove the major problems that happen with India. Otherwise guest should do their own research, not with people like visa central whose answers are driven by sales but their own official government sources.

It would also help if they stated whether a cruise stopping at several ports was classed as multi entry - in some countries it is, in others no. That is the part that causes the greatest problem but based on knowledge from the industry the cruiseline could help a lot.

For an upcoming cruise in October to the Middle East as an example, I've had two different answers from Azamara and a third (very expensive) response from Visa Central. Who knows what we really need, that's on next months to do list!

For UK citizens this is a useful starting point: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

Might not be tailored for cruise passengers but at least it gives basic information without a commercial bias.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is indeed. That plus an understanding of whether second calls are multi entry and we in the UK are sorted! The other thing is FCO is right up to date after all they issue the notifications to the commercial providers and are at the heart of country to country negotiations re visa requirements. I found though their helpline told me to ask the cruise line on the multi entry issue as this was often down to what the local agents had agreed

Researching, obtaining and arriving to the ship with proper travel documents is the guests' responsibility. This is spelled out on the website under TRAVEL DOCUMENTS. https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/travel-documents

"THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER DOCUMENTS

Getting documents and proof of vaccinations in order is an important task that will make it much easier for you to embark, disembark and move through customs, no matter where your voyage takes you. Guests without appropriate documentation are subject to fines, and can be prevented from boarding airlines or ships, or disembarking in certain ports.

Azamara Club Cruises® requires guests to be personally responsible for bringing aboard all required documents, including passports, visas and proof of vaccinations. Azamara cannot be held responsible for fines, costs, penalties or interrupted or terminated trips due to a lack of proper documentation, nor can we offer refunds to guests who fail to comply with documentation requirements.

Additional resources include travel professionals, government agencies, embassies, consulates, your physician, local health departments, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Department of State General Visa Information (telephone: 1-202-485-7600)." (USA website)

And it is stated under item 8.b. on our Cruise/Cruisetour Ticket Contract:

8. PASSENGER'S OBLIGATION TO COMPLY WITH AGREEMENT, APPLICABLE LAWS, AND RULES OF CARRIER; QUARANTINE; INDEMNIFICATION:

b. Passengers are solely responsible to maintain in their possession all passports, visas and other travel documents required for embarkation, travel and disembarkation at all ports of call. Passengers assume full responsibility to determine through their travel agent or the appropriate government authority the necessary documents. Passenger agrees to provide to Carrier (at Carrier's reasonable request) any travel documents. Carrier shall return such travel documents to Passenger by no later than the end of the Cruise.

Researching, obtaining and arriving to the ship with proper travel documents is the guests' responsibility. This is spelled out on the website under TRAVEL DOCUMENTS. https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/travel-documents

Getting documents and proof of vaccinations in order is an important task that will make it much easier for you to embark, disembark and move through customs, no matter where your voyage takes you. Guests without appropriate documentation are subject to fines, and can be prevented from boarding airlines or ships, or disembarking in certain ports.

Azamara Club Cruises® requires guests to be personally responsible for bringing aboard all required documents, including passports, visas and proof of vaccinations. Azamara cannot be held responsible for fines, costs, penalties or interrupted or terminated trips due to a lack of proper documentation, nor can we offer refunds to guests who fail to comply with documentation requirements.

Additional resources include travel professionals, government agencies, embassies, consulates, your physician, local health departments, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Department of State General Visa Information (telephone: 1-202-485-7600)." (USA website)

8. PASSENGER'S OBLIGATION TO COMPLY WITH AGREEMENT, APPLICABLE LAWS, AND RULES OF CARRIER; QUARANTINE; INDEMNIFICATION:

b. Passengers are solely responsible to maintain in their possession all passports, visas and other travel documents required for embarkation, travel and disembarkation at all ports of call. Passengers assume full responsibility to determine through their travel agent or the appropriate government authority the necessary documents. Passenger agrees to provide to Carrier (at Carrier's reasonable request) any travel documents. Carrier shall return such travel documents to Passenger by no later than the end of the Cruise.

Thanks, I was only asking for what other premium lines do however thank you for reposting the terms and conditions. It would be good if the responses given when guests ask about a particular cruise were consistent though!

Edited by uktog

Thanks, I was only asking for what other premium lines do however thank you for reposting the terms and conditions. It would be good if the responses given when guests ask about a particular cruise were consistent though!

I fully agree with you uktog.

I realise that it must be difficult with so many nationalities of passengers having possibly different requirements, but I think Azamara could help clarify the requirements especially where their agents have negotiated deals.

When we did a World cruise with P&O we were given details of where we had to obtain visas and where the ship would obtain them for us, albeit at a cost to our onboard account, for example India & Australia - us, Cambodia & Vietnam - ship.

There are only a few counties where there is usually confusion it would be nice if there was a crib sheet on the website outlining what is required in the countries visited, could even list the cruise id's affected as well, this might avoid a lot of aggravation in the long run.

For an upcoming cruise in October to the Middle East as an example, I've had two different answers from Azamara and a third (very expensive) response from Visa Central. Who knows what we really need, that's on next months to do list!

Hi, I've just looked back through our roll call for the October Middle East cruise and see that we weren't 100% clear on visa reqts for UK citizens, despite asking Azamara and looking at the various websites. If you get any definitive answers, please would you post them on the Roll Call? Thanks.

BTW, is anyone else having to enter their username and password into Cruise Critic umpteen times in a session when trying to read a Roll Call, or post a comment?

Azamara Club Cruises[emoji768] requires guests to be personally responsible for bringing aboard all required documents, including passports, visas and proof of vaccinations. Azamara cannot be held responsible for fines, costs, penalties or interrupted or terminated trips due to a lack of proper documentation, nor can we offer refunds to guests who fail to comply with documentation requirements.

However, Azamara do obtain visas for people in some ports - I have enquired about visas for the Middle East and got this reply from an Azamara customer service person 'you will be able to secure a visa for Egypt, Oman and Jordan on board the ship'.

BTW, is anyone else having to enter their username and password into Cruise Critic umpteen times in a session when trying to read a Roll Call, or post a comment?

Haven't had this problem. I use the Cruise Critic app on my IPad and never have to enter my username and password at all.

Thank you for all your replies, especially to Bonnie for her once again prompt reply.

I have finally had a personalised e-mail reply from the Vietnamese Embassy regarding our 3 port entries. These are regarded as ONE ENTRY. Which is great news for standard British Passport Holders who qualify for exemption of visa for Vietnam.

Reply from the embassy

That is one entry only

Regards,

Member of staff

UPCOMING PUBLIC HOLIDAY

Monday 29 August 2016 Summer Bank Holiday

From Friday 2 September to Sunday 4 September 2016 Viet Nam's National Day

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom they are addressed. You should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail to others unless specifically requested by the sender. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete this e-mail (and any accompanying material) from your computer and network.

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:19 AM,

Please advise if the following itinerary is regarding as three entries into Vietnam or one entry as the ship is still sailing in Vietnamese waters.

Azamara Journey Cruise Ship. Origin from Hong Kong on way to Thailand

Arrive 12 December 2016 Halong Bay Depart 13 December 2016

Arrive 14 December 2016 De Nang Depart 14 December 2016

Arrive 16 December 2016 Ho Chi Minh Depart 16 December 2016

Thank you

Edited by santrah
Extra info added

Hi, I've just looked back through our roll call for the October Middle East cruise and see that we weren't 100% clear on visa reqts for UK citizens, despite asking Azamara and looking at the various websites. If you get any definitive answers, please would you post them on the Roll Call? Thanks.

Hello Wacktle, I have spoken to Visa Central and have been told that we do not need visas for our cruise in January. I will call them again in a few weeks just to put my mind at ease.

Hello Wacktle, I have spoken to Visa Central and have been told that we do not need visas for our cruise in January. I will call them again in a few weeks just to put my mind at ease.

Thanks Triona, but the October Middle East cruise has different ports of call to any in January. I am hoping that UKTog will come up with the answers!

We have been told we don't need to get visas for Oman, Jordan, Egypt or UAE.

Which cruise is that for? The October cruise has multi entry in some countries which is clouding the issue